DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Syscrusher's Ayleid Resources 1.1

17 Screenshots

About This File

This modders' resource offers spiral staircases, ramps, and other new toys in a modular tileset with over two dozen pieces. I love Bethesda's Ayleid tiles, but wanted to extend the set by supplying some useful additions.

The new tiles include:

• Spiral stairs: These mate up directly with Bethesda's "narrow hall" interface. One premade staircase is functionally equivalent to Bethesda's "arnhallstairs01.nif" object, but you can build your own multi-level stairs with the modular versions.
  • Ramps: Modular ramps mate with both "wide" and "narrow" halls. Premade full-height versions provide the standard 320 unit vertical rise, but a half-height version of each is offered to allow you to place a landing of your choice midway.
  • Spiral ramps: Spiral ramps allow vertical movement in a small horizontal footprint. NOTE: The tiles themselves work fine, but because of vanilla tile constraints, these can be tricky to deploy. See the detailed notes below for hints.
  • New room tiles: There is an inside corner tile for room balconies, and you can now exit a narrow corridor *under* a balcony rather than just *on* it, and there is a no-rail balcony tile and some stairs to go with it. More options may follow later.

Note: Although these tiles are my own work in Blender, they are of course closely based on Bethesda's vanilla tiles. I take credit for my additions, but not for the original artistic work.

Shameless plug: This is a *partial* set; the full tiles will be released in a few months after my quest mod is released, so as not to spoil the surprises. :)

========

This is a modder's resource only, consisting of NIF models. There is no ESP file, and so installing these models will not cause anything to appear in your game.

Notes

=====

All textures are Bethesda-supplied, and this resource does not overwrite any Bethesda models. These are additional tiles, not replacements.

A brief historical note: In the Middle Ages, castle staircases were built to curve to the right as you went up, or left as you came down, as a boon to defenders. Since most people are right-handed, a staircase curving this way gives the person above lots of room to swing a weapon, while for the one attacking from below, the central column is in the way. In my models, the "R" versions are built to favor a right-handed fighter defending from above.

If time permits, I may add a "zero horizontal offset" version (a standalone adaptation of the "middle" section) in a future release. If I do, it will simply add files to the archive, so it's safe to go ahead and use this release.

Please see the included README for more information.

Credits

=======

Thanks to Bethesda for the wonderful game of Oblivion, and for making it an open modding platform.

Thanks to TES Alliance and TES Nexus for supportive communities and extensive resources.

Thanks to Windmill Tilter (on TES Alliance) for helping debug a frustrating texture problem with the meshes.

Thanks to my lovely wife for her patience while I spent a whole weekend building these!

What's New in Version 1.1

Released

• 2011-11-06 Initial release
  • 2011-11-21 Update with many new pieces

User Feedback

Recommended Comments