DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Pheo3309's Soul Gem Jars Resource .04

(1 review)

6 Screenshots

About This File

UPDATE: Optimized collision and an assorted jar from BrettM! Replace the old ones with these for even LESS problems!

Ever wondered wondered why there's little to no modder's resources for Magecraft in Skyrim? WELL! I wondered the same thing and so I started thinking about what I could do about that. Now while this doesn't have a huge amount of things for Magecraft, it certainly does spice things up in regards to Soul Gem storage! Not only are they unique looking, but they also use the symbol commonly associated to Conjuration. Everything is glassy, not to mention light refracts through the glass which was a feat in of itself to do. But how can you incorporate this into your mod? WELL! There are several systems that this could be used for. One of my favorites is the one IsharaMeridan made for individual item auto storage, a system based on arrays. That system can be found here: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/25890//?

Another could be General Stores, or any other scripted sorting system out there. They can be used for decoration, they can be used without a scripted system, even the empty jar can be used for clutter and anything phased inside! It's entirely up to you, the modder, on how you want to use these elegant, yet eccentric pieces!

Installation:

Just unpack the files and merge with your data folder! After that, load up your mod in the Creation Kit, and create a new object. It can be a container, static, even an activator! Or duplicate one already there! Then just import the mesh. Just be sure to downscale it size wise. These jars ARE pretty tall and wide. Also, do note that Skyrim used the same mesh and texture for Petty and Common. I've went ahead and included a Common portion that way you can either do something different, or use it for more of an organized approach with your meshes and container order.

Uninstallation:

Load up your mod in the Creation Kit. Remove the jars from your Render Window and then remove the meshes from those same objects. Save and close, then go to your Data folder and follow the following directory: Meshes\Pheo3309\SoulGemJars. If you're deleting one, you can delete them one by one. If you want to get rid of the Soul Gem Jars, delete the folder Soul Gem Jars. If you're not using any other of my resource packs, then remove the whole Pheo3309 folder if you wish however I don't recommend it as others may have included these meshes in their mods.

Known Issues:

Size: It's been optimized to .66, though if you want it even smaller or larger, press and hold the S key and click and drag your mouse, moving it up for increasing the size, and down to decrease the size. However, sometimes you can't get the exact height every time. This is how:

1) Right click on your first jar that you set out. Write down the scale.

2) Set your second one down, position it how you want it. Right click and set the scale to what you wrote down.

3) Press F to drop it to the lowest plane/flat surface/ground.

4) Save. Exit if necessary to test it.

Another known issue is near the base of the jar (meaning the bottom of where the Soul Gems are and the start of the Jar Base), it's REALLY bright. I've tried every setting I know to try and reduce this and this was the best I could get it without losing the quality of the shine. It may be REALLY bright for those using ENB.

If your jars happen to bounce around with spells or shouts, or just happen to move, use the following tutorial.

1) Select one or a row of jars.

2) Click the Collision Cube button.

3) Right click on the collision cube and look for Primitive in the Reference window that pops up.

4) Under Primitive, look for Collision Layer and select L_Unidentified. Anything else to my knowledge will NOT allow you to activate the jars through the collision cube.

5) Don't forget that in the scripts tab to use the DefaultDisableHavokOnLoad script that comes with Skyrim. This is to ensure that things don't bounce around when loading the cell.

6) Save, quit, and test your cell.

Faqs:

Q) Will there be any new additions to the jars to include transparent gems and Soul Gems that glow when full?

A) As of now, it's up in the air. I'm going to do my best to try and get hold of the mod authors that have created such mods. When I merged three incompatible textures and meshes together, I contacted the mod authors about what I did and how I did it so they could update their mods if they needed, however I've not heard back from any of them. If you want it to have those versions, you may try and help me request it as well.

Q) The jars bounce around when loading the cell! What gives?

A) See Known Issues about Collision Cubes and applying the DefaultDisableHavokOnLoad script.

Q) Why do your Soul Gems look different than what I have?

A) It's because I use a different texture. This one can be found here: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/4380/?

Q) I noticed that the top of the jar is the hand in a quest! It was animated there! What gives?

A) I've yet to figure out how to make the behavior data work for the mesh itself. I will be researching how to do this however and if I succeed, I'll include meshes and the script for these too, however it will be in two different parts and it won't look like it's gripping the gems like it does now as you'd need to plug in everything and have gems in your inventory for it to work.

Q) The jars are way too bright for me! What gives?

A) The jars themselves are contankerous to manipulate with the shading due to it's enviromental settings. I could lower the amounts, however these were to my liking. If you have NifSkope, you can change the Environment Map Scale to a lower setting. However the only thing I ask is that you do not upload those modified meshes without permission. Thank you.

Q) I did everything in the Known Issues and I still can't activate my container!

A) If you did everything including the test mesh with one of my meshes and it STILL doesn't work, shoot me a PM or write a comment and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. I've tested these and they worked for me, so it would help to know what kinds of mods you're running.

Thanks To:

IsharaMeridan for her wonderful scripted array system. It's come in handy on many occassions, including these here.

WillieSea for leaving bread crumbs about making glassy looks in the TESAlliance.org forums. Without that information, I'd have never have been able to make these. In fact, I'd have never thought this vision of mine would even be possible, so thank you for making not only my modding experience a learning and better experience, but you've also changed the way I look at objects in the game overall. It changes the way I play Skyrim entirely as now I get even more ideas while playing.

LisnPuppy for being a source of constructive criticisms, ideas, and support. You are truly the real goddess of the Nexus!

SpectralDragon for Waterstone Manor, as well as listening to my insane psychobabble on ideas for ways to revamp the mage room and allowing me to work on his housing mod as well as being a constant source of ideas. Without his manor I doubt that I'd have been coming up with this resource.

BrettM for his amazing quick work on collision and creating a new jar to use, which is the mixed. Without his help, these jars would not have optimized collision and since I'm not so savvy when it comes to the collision issues and since it would probably take me forever and a day to digest everything, he went ahead and fixed them so you no longer have to wait. He's also made a nice open handed jar for those that want one of those! So be sure to thank him for that!

Future Updates:

Possible variants of the containers to work with several mods that have either transparent Soul Gems and Soul Gems that glow when they're filled. I would have to get permission from them however to do so.

What's New in Version .04

Released

• .04 A fixed Mixed version and Open Handed Empty Jar added by BrettM
  • .03 Due to BrettM stepping up to the plate, we now have optimized collision, cleaner block lists, and a new jar.
  • .02 Tweaked collision just a bit. This will be optimized in the future as well.
  • .01 Initial Release

User Feedback

You may only provide a review once you have downloaded the file.