DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Duke Patricks - Combat Archery Rev 7.3.5

(5 reviews)

2 Screenshots

About This File

Duke Patrick's Combat Archery Mod Skyrim Edition

OBSE 20 (or better)

Shivering Isle may be needed as I had to edit bows and arrows from that add on.

English version install of Oblivion if you use a crossbow mod.

Rev 7.3.5 ESP micro update to prevent tripping on dead but disabled corpses.

Rev 7.2.1 Fix issue with some NPC getting stuck with a +30 MarksMan bonus. Player and NPC get the crossbow bonus via ModAV2 now instead of a fortify ability.

Rev 7.2 Fix missing inventory icons. New Retextures for Heavy and Light crossbows. Small bug fix for spinning (out of control) arrows/blots.

Rev 7.1 Crossbow Bolts get a 20% boost to flight speed and 40% encumbrance reduction.

Optional KF File For Sneak Bow Attack so the crossbow will not get in the way of your line of sight.

REV 7 NEW Crossbows! Plus a new INI options to set magic miss shots and arrow miss shots separately. LOAD ALL FILES New INI and New Icons and New Mesh files!

If you use my Melee combat mod set the bow damage to 5 instead of 7 or set it to your own preference.

WARNING do not use any other "actors miss their arrow/magic shots" mods with this mod!

This is an immersion mod based on my older POC project called Duke Patrick’s SCA Combat Archery Mod. This Combat Archery Mod is designed to bring a fun balance to realistically high damage bows to make fighting with a realistically lethal bow in the game less like using a Rifled Musket.

WARNING! READ ALL READ ME FILES IN THE ZIP OR YOU WILL BE CONFUSED BY WHAT THE MOD IS DOING IN YOUR GAME! Be sure to load the INI file in the same directory as the ESP file. What you are reading here is not the full read me file. If I think you did not read the read me or only "skim it" it may take a very very long time before I answer your support questions.

SCA Combat Archery uses real armor, real bows and real cross bows with real arrows that have wide blunt tips so as to dramatically reduce their ability to kill while still keeping as much of the historical and physical factors as is safe to do so. This allows us to study history and medieval combat by physically recreating it.

You tube:

This Youtube move is a more or less fair representation of SCA combat archery. Except that in my local chapter we use 1000 pound draw crossbows...now that will leave a mark on you even in leather armor!

I only answer support questons here: http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1116797-duke-patricks-combat-archery-thread-3/

Help with the password:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1116797-duke-patricks-combat-archery-thread-3/page__view__findpost__p__17249878

Quick overview of what the mods does:

(Most are from my older SCA Combat Archery mod, but several are NEW and the old ones are revamped.)

- NPC may miss their magic and arrows shots if you move around or jump, but a high marksmen with good equipment NPC can still hit you easily if they themselves are not moving around and take aim for a few seconds.

-Bows can be player set to do various multiples of the vanilla damage (or of what ever damage is set to the bow in the game by other mods).

-Arrow damage and speed will be calculated based on the materials and craftsmanship used to make the arrow. A bonus is given to magic arrows. This arrow damage feature is optional.

-Duke Patrick’s "Don’t Shoot Me Bro" system helps to prevent NPC from shooting their friends in the back!

-The bow jerks off target after the shot is fired. You will need to re-aim after each shot. However this feature is optional.

-Breathing bow sway if you are in zoom sniper mode, but you can also hold your breath!

-Moving around will make you miss (shoot off the cross hair) a lot. Running or jumping is worst than walking. This is reduced by holding still for a few moments. There is an optional Bobbing bow sway effect that visually tells you when momentum is no longer effecting your shot after moving or jumping.

-Moving backward has RISK! This is NOT a random event. My mod detects tripping hazards! You may trip over the dead, change in elevations like stairs or large world objects that interfere with your movement such as a chairs!

-The PC strength is now as important as their skill in detraining the damage that a weapon can inflict. Weapon selection strategy will be important by using the right kind of bow for the PC Marksmanship agility and strength!

-Stronger bows will take much longer to draw the arrow then weaker bows depending on your strength. If you try to use a Bow that is stronger than you are it will take a great deal of time to draw the bow.

-Bows eat fatigue no mater what skill level you are. The stronger ones eat more than the weaker ones. So if your bow is stronger than you are your may become exhausted very quickly TRYING to draw the bow!

-If you fire the bow without drawing it all the way your arrow will be drastically reduced in speed AND DAMAGE.

-Slow arrows will bounce off of the armor your target is wearing.

-Arrows that hit Critical locations such as the Head, Solar Plexus or Crotch will cause pain and may multiply damage done by the arrow. Plus an optional feature where the player character will say things like "That had to hurt!' when they land a critical hit on their opponent.

-Weaker bows fire faster and use less fatigue, so if you are a good marksman that can hit the Critical locations more often you may find using a weaker bow is a much better strategy!

-Shield men will now be the archer's worst night mare! NPC will Shield Charge and sprint at you to knock you and your bow to the ground. (Kill them before they get too close!) You can do the same to Archer NPC.

-Bows are not mêlée weapons! You will not be able to draw your bow if you are being crowded by your opponent (they are too close to you). If the NPC hits you as you are drawing the bow it will be knocked off target. You can do the same to Archer NPC.

-Better NPC AI! Your target will side step or block the arrow if they see you fire at them and have the agility, speed and skill to do so.

-Npc will run up inclines to get you now. (no more perching on top of a pile of rocks!)

-Aim your bow straight down to the ground to denock it!

-Arrows that are stuck in the NPC have a chance of being dislodged and dropped to the ground in combat.

-Quiver Capacity limit for both the actors and the player. Everyone now has a limited number of “conveniently assessable†arrows. Extra arrows must be keep in a protective arrow case or you risk breaking them if you are staggered or fall down. This will hamper but not “cold stop†the player and the actors from getting more arrows in combat. YOU NEED TO READ THE FULL DESCRIPTION BEFORE YOU USE THIS FEATURE!

You should also use "Duke Patrick's Actor Can Miss Now" mod with this mod.

Now merged in this mod as of rev 5

For the most advanced SCA combat with sword and shield:

http://www.spookyfx.com/book/tromp.html

What's New in Version Rev 7.3.5

Released

• Rev 7.3.5 ESP micro update to prevent tripping on dead but disabled corpses.
  • Rev 7.3.3 ESP micro update for small things like messages.
  • Rev 7.3 Changed crossbow bonus from ModAV2 to ModAVMod. This is a very important technical change. Thanks to migck for suggesting this.
  • Rev 7.2.1 Fix issue with some NPC getting stuck with a +30 MarksMan bonus. Player and NPC get the crossbow bonus via ModAV2 now instead of a fortify ability.
  • Rev 7.2 Fix missing inventory icons. New Retextures for Heavy and Light crossbows. Small bug fix for spinning (out of control) arrows/blots.
  • Rev 7.1 Crossbow Bolts get a 20% boost to flight speed and 40% encumbrance reduction.
  • 7 NEW Crossbows! Plus a new INI options to set magic miss shots and arrow miss shots separately.
  • Rev 5.5.5 Change to the vocalization script, this is a test to see if this will fix the issue with female not being detected correctly.<br /><br /><br />Rev 5.5.4 New INI option to choose what gender your character is for the vocalization of critical hits.<br /><br />Rev 5.5.3 Silver Arrows now do poison like damage to vampires and undead. Set the rate and damage in the INI. Clean install not needed for this rev.<br /><br /><br />Rev 5.5.2 Serious bug fix. Arrow critical hits will not work without this fix. ESP file only.<br /><br />Rev 5.5.1 Replaced a few get sound playing commands with much more reliable OBSE event commands. Fixed a bug that might make your bow AIM jump all over the place under some rare condition's in the hold breath script.<br /><br /><br />REV 5.5 Replaced all Player. with PlayerRef. as is advised by the better modder thes days. Also now using new OBSE hit detection for the "bow gets knocked aside if you are attacked feature."<br /><br />Rev 5.1.3 change to prevent gold price changes saved in the savegame. Boundingbox zero error fix for actors that are not yet in the player cell.<br /><br />Rev 5.1.2 Minor tweak to work a little better with my Melee Combat Mod.<br /><br />5.1.1 Broken arrows are now worth 1 gold, I wish I could make them worth only .2 gold but the game will not let me. Also a small change to one script to help reduce consol spam. Thanks to scruggsywuggsy the ferret for help on this.<br /><br />Rev 5 Now critical shots at the legs will work on all actors including creatures. Actors Can Miss Now is merged into this mod from now on. Other small bug fixes.<br /><br />Rev 4.3.2 Fixed headshot calc so that helms are only as good as your Max Armor game setting.<br /><br />NEW: mixed arrow types allowed in Inventory! Now you may have various types of unequipped arrows in your inventory as long as the equipped and unequipped total are still less or equal to your quiver limit.
  • Thanks 1
  • Love This 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Thank you for such a great mod!, I have a question, hope you can help me :question: when starting a new game a message comes up and says "Duke Patrick's Combat Archery mod won't work unless password is set in INI file" something like that, I really don't know what this means :question: in any case I think this a great mod!

I had no idea this was released until now. Awesome sauce. I was actually waiting to make another archer until this mod was out.

All hail the Duke!

Thank you for such a great mod!, I have a question, hope you can help me :question: when starting a new game a message comes up and says "Duke Patrick's Combat Archery mod won't work unless password is set in INI file" something like that, I really don't know what this means :question: in any case I think this a great mod!

Read the file "Duke Patricks SCA Combat Archery READ ME.txt" in the archive you downloaded. Its in there to make sure everyone understands what this mod is doing, and save Duke Patrick having to answer the same questions 10000 times - Also the reason it was removed from nexus. Take time to understand it, this is a complicated mod.

• Upvote 1

Jesper, it really is in the readme file. It's well worth finding!

I got a chance to play this for a few hours, and I gotta say, this mod is fun as hell. I made a test character, and I just couldn't stop popping trolls in Veyond. It was so satisfying to actually get arrows on target. It makes archery viable and a really fun way of playing that it just never was before. It just feels right too, coming from someone who's fired thousands of RL arrows. I felt like the damage was too high, but like any Duke Patrick mod, there it was in the .ini for me to change. Fantastic work - I'm so glad it was re-released.

I think this should be linked to the nexus like Hypothermia is, not because the Nexus deserves to be graced with a mod like this, but because 117 downloads is about 500,000 short of what this mod deserves.

There is a new password for this rev. But it is in the same location as the old one for the players that already read the previous password in the pervious rev.

I just downloaded this mod myself, to be sure, and yes as I thought the Password is in the read me and it works as long as you type it correctly (capitalizations matters). Hundreds of other players have found the password and it work for them. If you cannot find it please just ignore this mod. Anyone posting the password here will be considered to have broken the terms of use.

• Upvote 1

Hi, I am getting some big problems which I THINK come from this mod. Basically, all my arrows get damaged while inside my inventory. Only the EQUIPED arrows do not get damaged. Any idea what might be causing this?

this is from the mod DESCRIPTION ABOVE and it is IN THE READ ME FILE:

-Quiver Capacity limit for both the actors and the player. Everyone now has a limited number of “conveniently assessable†arrows. Extra arrows must be keep in a protective arrow case or you risk breaking them if you are staggered or fall down. This will hamper but not “cold stop†the player and the actors from getting more arrows in combat.

YOU NEED TO READ THE FULL DESCRIPTION BEFORE YOU USE THIS FEATURE!

Please unload my mod (do not use it) or at least turn this feature off if you are not going to read (in the read me file) about how to use it properly.

Hi, I am getting some big problems which I THINK come from this mod. Basically, all my arrows get damaged while inside my inventory. Only the EQUIPED arrows do not get damaged. Any idea what might be causing this?

• Upvote 1

Absolutely badass. WTG Duke!

I have a degree in physics and I have to say, I love the realism and the attention to realistic combat dynamics. Just put this on a fresh install of Oblivion along with Deadly Reflex and OOO. So far, I'm having a blast. I've only played the XBOX version prior to this, so this is basically a whole new game with the mods added in. I am thrilled that a realistic archery mod was made for Oblivion. Apart from the Thief series, there aren't many games that try to simulate FPS style archery. My only (small) complaint about this mod is the leather case for the quiver. While I have zero problem with having to deal with limited amount of arrows, whenever I nock an arrow with more than 20 arrows in my inventory, the leather case gets dropped and usually goes flying across the screen. I once lost the case and searched for 10 mintues for it with no luck. I finally disabled the limit in the INI file. Maybe I'm missing something here? Perhaps I should read the README file again? Oh well, I can deal with a little unrealism. The arrows are really racking up in my inventory though, I may just need to soft cap it at 50 for weight reasons alone.

Just read the README a little more carefully, and I think I've got it now. Given the leathality of arrows with this mod and over abundant supply of arrows in the game, this leather case idea is really well done.

Can't wait to get sniper mode unlocked...

I commented earlier with enthusiasm, and I comment again now with gratitude. This mod has been a great companion to my first character in my return to Oblivion with a proper mod setup. I took a Bosmer sneaky type up to level 20 (and counting), and this mod has made what could be a boring endeavor, sneaking around knocking people off with simple shots, to a harrowing experience of near death, close escapes, and spectacular shots that drop dremora caitiffs so I can save one more part of Tamriel. I have a mod forming the core of play around each of the primary combat types, and this one is the only real option for archery types aside from 'bows do more damage' or the quite limited bow sway mod. Fortunately, it's all we could ask for. My next character might even try this without all the sneaking about.

Snippet from my experience: I was in the Colovian hills around midday. Clouds were threatening to ruin the afternoon and send me to the comfort of an inn hearth (from Hypothermia). Six red goblins (from Warcry) were upon me in the high grass, angry that I had sent a beautiful hook-headed arrow into their Shaman's skull. An Imperial ranger came to my rescue, dropping two, but three others were on him. I faced off against one, loosing an arrow as he bore down on me. With a *ping*, the shot fell to the earth off his shiny roundshield. I took a few steps back, firing a flanking shot to hit one of the goblins as he looted the ranger's corpse, and ran for the nearest settlement. Hours later, I returned under cover of darkness to avenge the folly of the daylight, felling all goblins one by one, this time starting with the shield-bearing one. That low level goblin fight would have been simple with godly accuracy, enemies who don't dodge, and shields that are only marginal against bows, but it stands out as a fine culmination of the mods I have going.

Even if you have no intention of firing a bow, you should get this mod for all that it adds to archer opponents and allies. You WILL want to pick one up yourself. Oh, and it seems to work well with Crossbows of Cyrodiil after 30 hours of play, though the damage on those beasts I'd like to tone down a bit for balance purposes, as I was able to with this one, since I'm mostly a sneak-attack archer.

This looks like a fantastic mod to use and I'm planning to install this first thing after I go home today. However I'm worried on that it might conflict with other mods that modify the enemy AI such as Mart's Monster Mod or Fransesco's (which are the ones I'm using). I went through the readme but I couldn't find any mention of compatibility issues aside from the Crossbows of Cyrrodil mod. Should I assume that there will be no conflict here? Is there any plugin I should disable beforehand (I was thinking perhaps the extra damage and endurance of MMM might be an issue as well)

Thanks and well done again. I wish more people would realize the how much versatility and awesomeness a simple physics integration can add to the game.

I've been playing around with the mod and I think I've discovered a bug. I noticed after playing for a while that I had become very slow in moving (running or walking) and checking on my character stats, I noticed some very heavy speed penalties on my character. It seems that for some reason, the speed penalty from running backwards has become permanent and there was no way to clear it.

The only thing that actually worked was going to the temple and removing all debuffs (and I needed two of those to get back to my normal speed).

I have some saves showing this issue if you want them.

I realized that this issue is caused by this plugin because when I run backwards, my speed is taking a spell-like reduction. I managed to replicate this issue by running backwards a bit and opening the inventory while doing it. I don't know if this is the only way to do it, but in a 2 hour session, I managed to get this issue at least 3 times which is quite oft I believe.

I also don't know if this because of some kind of mod conflict. I don't have the plugin mentioned in the running backwards readme but just in case, here's my loading order: http://pastebin.com/fnMFHw8W

OK, through some trial and error, I've managed to trace the issue to the MOVS SI Optional Combat Settings.esp which comes from the this mod. It makes sense because that too modified archery in similar ways. Deactivating it made the issue go away and now the speed doesn't get stuck and I also started tripping down. Perhaps make a note that these two are not compatible atm.

I found another bug/conflict. When used in combination with LAME and playing a conjurer, you can buy a spell for a Bind Bow / Arrows. This summons 100 quite powerful arrows that weight 0 kg. However this creates an issue with the quiver capacity limit. Namely that if you try to fire the arrows afterwards, 80 of the bound arrows will drop to the ground. They will stay there even after the bind spell expires. Then you can pick them up and use them as normal (i.e. equip/unequip, move to arrow case and so on). Obviously this is easy to ignore for someone who doesn't want to abuse his mods as cheating but still, perhaps something that can be looked at? Perhaps the Quiver Arrow Limit shouldn't apply to bound arrows, since they can be considered to materialize as you draw them or something (after all, they weight 0 kgs)

Another (small) thing is that you won't be able to make DPA modify the bound bow by itself (because it lasts so little and you can't drop it) so the only solution was to bind the bow, save the game, exit oblivion, start it again and load that game. Then DPA went through the bow during initialization and from then on, all future bounds were ok.

Finally, I've started again getting the stuck speed penalty issue but at a less extreme (eg: stuck at a -27 penalty) but it can happen that it accumulates. Fortunately it's also not as often to happen. I'm still trying to figure out why since MOBS optional combat rules is disabled but I am using some other mods that could possibly conflict (Fransesco's, Deadly Reflex). Unfortunately it's not as easy to replicate or notice and I usually only notice it when I consciously go to check my speed stat. Needless to say, speed restoration potions became very useful suddenly :woohoo:

For the most part I do not do mod support in these comments. But most of your issues are either conflicts with other mods or already taken care with the Beta rev, but you need to go here to get mod support for this mod:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1116797-duke-patricks-combat-archery-thread-3

I found another bug/conflict. When used in combination with LAME and playing a conjurer, you can buy a spell for a Bind Bow / Arrows. This summons 100 quite powerful arrows that weight 0 kg. However this

....snip

I love hearing these kind of stories. Sometimes players find strategies or "events" that I had not idea could be done. Sometimes it is just a dam cool story to hear about!

I commented earlier with enthusiasm, and I comment again now with gratitude. This mod has been a great companion to my first character in my return to Oblivion with a proper mod setup. I took a Bosmer sneaky type up to level 20 (and counting), and this mod has made what could be a boring endeavor, sneaking around knocking people off with simple shots, to a harrowing experience of near death, close escapes, and spectacular shots that drop dremora caitiffs so I can save one more part of Tamriel. I have a mod forming the core of play around each of the primary combat types, and this one is the only real option for archery types aside from 'bows do more damage' or the quite limited bow sway mod. Fortunately, it's all we could ask for. My next character might even try this without all the sneaking about.

Snippet from my experience: I was in the Colovian hills around midday. Clouds were threatening to ruin the afternoon and send me to the comfort of an inn hearth (from Hypothermia). Six red goblins (from Warcry) were upon me in the high grass, angry that I had sent a beautiful hook-headed arrow into their Shaman's skull. An Imperial ranger came to my rescue, dropping two, but three others were on him. I faced off against one, loosing an arrow as he bore down on me. With a *ping*, the shot fell to the earth off his shiny roundshield. I took a few steps back, firing a flanking shot to hit one of the goblins as he looted the ranger's corpse, and ran for the nearest settlement. Hours later, I returned under cover of darkness to avenge the folly of the daylight, felling all goblins one by one, this time starting with the shield-bearing one. That low level goblin fight would have been simple with godly accuracy, enemies who don't dodge, and shields that are only marginal against bows, but it stands out as a fine culmination of the mods I have going.

Even if you have no intention of firing a bow, you should get this mod for all that it adds to archer opponents and allies. You WILL want to pick one up yourself. Oh, and it seems to work well with Crossbows of Cyrodiil after 30 hours of play, though the damage on those beasts I'd like to tone down a bit for balance purposes, as I was able to with this one, since I'm mostly a sneak-attack archer.

I wish more game developers would use physic based game mechanics. The possibilities would be greater that he sum of the parts so to speak. I read that this is a "new" idea that game makers are starting to try now because it means the game can do things that the developer never thought of doing. That is great if it is true.

Absolutely badass. WTG Duke!

I have a degree in physics and I have to say, I love the realism and the attention to realistic combat dynamics. Just put this on a fresh install of Oblivion along with Deadly Reflex and OOO. So far, I'm having a blast. I've only played the XBOX version prior to this, so this is basically a whole new game with the mods added in. I am thrilled that a realistic archery mod was made for Oblivion. Apart from the Thief series, there aren't many games that try to simulate FPS style archery. My only (small) complaint about this mod is the leather case for the quiver. While I have zero problem with having to deal with limited amount of arrows, whenever I nock an arrow with more than 20 arrows in my inventory, the leather case gets dropped and usually goes flying across the screen. I once lost the case and searched for 10 mintues for it with no luck. I finally disabled the limit in the INI file. Maybe I'm missing something here? Perhaps I should read the README file again? Oh well, I can deal with a little unrealism. The arrows are really racking up in my inventory though, I may just need to soft cap it at 50 for weight reasons alone.

Just read the README a little more carefully, and I think I've got it now. Given the leathality of arrows with this mod and over abundant supply of arrows in the game, this leather case idea is really well done.

Can't wait to get sniper mode unlocked...

Hi new here. Trying to download the Duke Patricks Archery, but the zip needs password. No readme anywhere? In the zip is only esp and ini files.Any Idea.Thank you

Am I losing something in translation here? I copy pasted the notepad files over to word and Ive read through it around three times here, unless I'm mentally passing over your passwords or they are hidden (I would hope not) then do i have to read this readme in junky notepad format?

Yea....Found it....Just be sure to read it in Notepad or at least copy it from there, it wouldn't work for me when i copied it from word.