DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Duke Patrick's - Melee Combat NO RECOIL Rev 5.9

(3 reviews)

1 Screenshot

About This File

Duke Patrick's Melee Combat No Recoil

Requirements: Oblivion Script Extender (OBSE) v20. NO BETAS

I only offer mod support on the Bethesda forums:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1203840-relz-duke-patricks-melee-combat-no-recoil/

Rev 5.9 Invisibility and Chameleon now effect the chance to dodge attacks. Fix for Enchantment pop up message spamming, plus tweak to horse Tuck and Roll calcs.

Rev 5.8.3 important update to prevent issues with the Tuck and Roll feature while you are riding a horse.

Rev 5.8.2 ESP micro update for small things like messages.

Rev 5.8.1 Moved the Sprint timer to a token to help prevent running from getting stuck on. Also, distance now has some effect on your accuracy to hit the head. So now it is harder to hit the head if you use a spear at full range and easier to hit the head if you use a dagger.

Rev 5.8 New Sprinting feature that uses OBSE ModAVMod Max to manipulate the speed attribute making it safer than mods that use other types of attribute adjustments. Sprinting can add speed and damage to your attacks. BE SURE TO USE THE NEW INI FILE.

Rev 5.7.2 Fatigue burn for grapple block is reduced 50% and grapple throw is reduced .25%.

Rev 5.7.1 Fix to the fatigue burn for Tuck and Roll feature. Your % of your encumbrance is what is now the cost of the burn. And animals are given a bonus to make up for their lack of "Acrobatic" and "Athletic" skill sets.

===============

History

===============

January 2006 first release of this mod.

This was the first real "Mod" I had ever made. I did a tiny bit of WAD authoring in the days of DOOM. And some Hex editing of other games. But the only other programming I have ever done was a very simple color basic language 4k game 30 years ago on a TRS80 PC. That modest work in color basic was the only way I was able to decipher the script language used in Oblivion today.

===============

1. DESCRIPTION

===============

This mod changes the combat to feel more like SCA combat, a worldwide historical organization that includes full armor, full speed and full contact western European medieval martial arts. (As much as I am able to do in an Oblivion mod.)

Please see my Web page: http://www.spookyfx.com/book/tromp.html

The mod is based on my 30 years of melee tournament and war experience. SCA wars consist, on a good day, of two teams of several thousand fighters all in one battlefield trying to knock each others' heads off with everything from short swords to 12 foot spears!

This mod is made to focus on the psychology and physics of melee combat.

Although I very much favor shield and sword, after finishing the mod and play testing it seems that lighter faster fighters (such as single sword fighters) more often "beats" heavy slow weapons and shield IF the light weapon's fighter was at the most extreme levels of skill in Weapons, Block, H2H, Strength, Agility, Speed and Fatigue. I had believed (wanted to anyway) that it would to be the other way around were an expert with a weapon and shield would beat an expert with say a bastard sword.

If you train your skills up around 75 or more in all the skills I just listed (and you earn them not just cheat your skills up in 15 minutes) you will probably then complain to me that combat is too easy when fighting against sword and shield man even if you only have a dagger.

You may ask "why would I need to earn them, why not just cheat them all up to 75?"

Because there is some player skill needed as well. You will need to learn how to use the mod features correctly. The only way to do this is to earn your skills in game by putting in the play time. This is the part that I hope will keep the player interested even once their character has reached master levels in all their skills.

This mod includes:

- NO MORE BLOCK RECOIL! Staggering and recoil will happen from hits, "short shots" and other combat related reasons but no more "hobbled" attack combos! And being paralyzed (none magical) will almost never happen!

- Dead bodies get bashed to the ground violently instead of floating down thru the air like a feather.

- Extra Momentum adds extra damage (such as running downhill at your opponent).

- Locational hits with critical damage (INI configurable)

- Location armor for the head, body and legs. Wearing a good helmet may be all you need!

- Blunt damage will be more effective against light armor.

- Both the player and the NPC can Bob and Weave to avoid attacks. You will consume fatigue based on encumbrance load.

- Enemy melee AI is greatly improved and will also watch for the player's "tells", but this also means you can "trick" them!

- AI settings have been overhauled to attack, block and move more deviously, dynamically and ruthlessly.

- You can now use actual real-life sword and shield feints to land your shots (such as the "rising snap"!)

- BOTH Passive and Active blocking!

- Weapon/shield size matters! Bigger weapons/shields give you more geometric protection. But they also take more fatigue to parry with! The bigger the weapon/shield relative to your body size, the better your passive block chance. The better your block skill, the better your chance to parry. Bigger heavy shields / weapons have the advantage to absorb more damage than lighter/smaller ones.

- Weapons stats are now much more realistic. Weapon hit range is based on the actual model length of the weapon in the game. No more 20 foot long short swords! War hammers do not swing quickly like they are made of plastic. Weapon damage stats are not dramatically cranked up, they are only balanced relativistically with the speed and range of the weapon. This is all done via scripts "on the fly" so even custom weapons from other mods are included.

- Draining your fatigue completely with button bashing will result in blurred vision! ( INI configurable for the ...er...casual players.)

- Defensive Geometry and great timing is now more important than great player speed and reflexes. The angle of attack is a little tighter, so Offensive Geometry is more important in landing a shot.

- Footwork and range games are now very important for blocks and attacks.

- H2H now includes grapple blocks and throws.

- Fighting Giants is now a very scary undertaking, sometimes the only way to live is to run away! (see the crash course document for more tips on combat.)

- Bottle necking overwhelming numbers (such as with doorways) and other such tricks MUST be done or you will die!

- Weapon speed (timing) vs damage is now the second most important tactical consideration. Heavy one-handed weapons take an eternity to hit, but they hit HARD!

- Power attacks now require good timing to land but they do more damage!

- Wrap Shots This is a shot where you stand very close and swing your weapon to wrap around your opponent's shield thus reducing the benefits of a large shield.

- Short Shots This happens when you hit at the center of gravity on your weapon producing attacks that hit like a mace even if you are using a sword.

- Aiming under their weapon or shield gives a bonus to land your shot.

- If a feint works, the shield or weapon will move out of position right before the attack lands. This gives you a view of the opponent being OPEN for the shot as you land the blow instead of your weapon just "passing through" the shield as if the shield was made from smoke.

- In general "results" in this mod are based on the attributes, actions timing, conditions and dynamics of the combat not on simplistic dice rolls. This means you can eventually learn to take advantage of the subtle factors in combat and predict your opponent's action.

- All blunt weapons now have a good chance to stagger or even "push over" depending on how heavy the blunt weapon is and how strong the attacker is (modified by his fatigue) versus the target's strength.

- Swinging your blade weapon will use much less fatigue than when your weapon actually hits a target. For technical reasons this feature only works on living targets not things like trees.

- Swinging your blunt weapon will use much more fatigue than when your weapon actually hits a target. For technical reasons this feature only works on living targets not things like trees.

- Blunt weapons have an advantage to absorbed force while blocking do to the nature of their mass.

- Top heavy Blunt weapons and short shots are now more visceral with a feeling of weight and force.

- Armor is much more effective against fist, claws and teeth type attacks.

-Kick Bash And Shield Bash (the normal shield bash in the game that auto triggers is removed. Now it is manually triggered.)

-Khajiits can now inflict more H2H damage.

-POC demo feature showing how Florentine weapons (dual swords) should be done in medieval combat games.

-NPC may sometimes hit each other by accident in crowed combat!

This is not the Read me file!

YOU MUST READ THE READ ME FILE IN THE ZIP. If I think you did not read the Read Me I may be very slow to help you on any issues.

Real Life Sword And Shield Combat : http://www.spookyfx.com/book/tromp.html

What's New in Version Rev 5.9

Released

• Rev 5.9 Invisibility and Chameleon now effect the chance to dodge attacks. Fix for Enchantment pop up message spamming, plus tweak to horse Tuck and Roll calcs.
  • Rev 5.8.3 important update to prevent issues with the Tuck and Roll feature while you are riding a horse.
  • Rev 5.8.2 ESP micro update for small things like messages.
  • Rev 5.8.1 Moved the Sprint timer to a token to help prevent running from getting stuck on. Also, distance now has some effect on your accuracy to hit the head. So now it is harder to hit the head if you use a spear at full range and easier to hit the head if you use a dagger.
  • Rev 5.8 New Sprinting feature that uses OBSE ModAVMod Max to manipulate the speed attribute making it safer than mods that use other types of attribute adjustments. Sprinting can add speed and damage to your attacks.
  • Rev 5.7.2 Fatigue burn for grapple block is reduced 50% and grapple throw is reduced .25%.
  • Rev 5.7.1 Fix to the fatigue burn for Tuck and Roll feature. Your % of your encumbrance is what is now the cost of the burn. And animals are given a bonus to make up for their lack of "Acrobatic" and "Athletic" skill sets.
  • Rev 5.6 New optional feature. In third person you will only target the legs if you are looking almost down at your own feet. Otherwise it will be a head shot if your are aiming almost dead center on your opponent (but this is also modified by your character's agility .) If not and you are not looking down at about a 45 degree angle or more then it will be a blow to the body. Again this is only for third person. In first person as in previous rev of this mod you hit what you aim at (but this is also modified by your character's agility.)
  • Rev 5.5.1 Took out a debug message from Rev 5.5
  • Sorry about that.
  • Rev 5.5 Florentine First person now gets the off hand bonus. You still will not see the off hand attack animation, but now your opponent gets the penalty to block your attack if all the other conditions are met for a third person offhand attack.
  • Rev 5.4 Script now will check for enchanted weapons that Lost their {} and will not then double processes them. Small bug fix for Florentine Steel long sword.
  • Rev 5.3.1 Fix two errors in the INI file. Be sure to use the new fixed INI file.
  • Rev 5.3 New optional feature! Reflex Auto Duck for the player. Follows similar rules as the NPC AI for bob and weave dodging.
  • Rev 5.2.2 Small edits to prevent possible issues and a temporary line of code to reset actors that may be stuck in the bob and weave sneak animation. I am looking for a better way but for now this "band aid" attempt's to stop the animation if it see it playing for more than 4 seconds.
  • Rev 5.2.1 Creatures now vocalize pain when hit and damaged with enough "friendly fire".
  • Rev 5.2 NEW FEATURE! NPC might hit each other by accident if they miss hitting you and they are crowding in and around you. You can maneuver them with footwork and timing so that this happens more often by either getting them to line up close to each other (behind one another) or by swinging around to one side so that their attack turns into one of their comrades! Evading the attack with a bob and weave dodge is also a good way! This event is NOT a dice roll, it is based on their attributes and the combat geometry (obstacles, distance and positioning) at the time. Attributes include agility, fatigue and the poor guy that gets hit Luck is a small part of the calculations.
  • PLEASE NOTE: you will see a pop up message about the weapons log being reset. Sorry but this is necessary so that the MMM weapon called Crowd Pleaser will be reset to the right stats. It was not set right before because the model bounding box is not made correctly. I like this weapon a lot and so to fix this I put the right stats when my mod see the name of the weapon.
  • Rev 5.1 bug fix for attack fatigue burn for 2H blunt weapons.
  • Rev 5 Fix serious bug in the blocking fatigue burn calculations. New mechanics for Light Weapons like Katanas and Sabers. They will move faster and burn less fatigue to attack but also do less damage and have less power to block.
  • Rev 4.6.1 Upgrade the Florentine max bonus from 25% to 50%.
  • Rev 4.6 Florentine Style combat (Dual weapon) fix plus compatibility with Combat magic Omni shield. And Off Hand attacks will not trigger if when not needed against such opponents as creatures with no weapon blocking ability.
  • Rev 4.5 Florentine weapons now working. Install all mesh and textures files and read the Florentine read me!
  • Rev 4.4 small Bug fix for Kicks and shield bash, plus Proof of Concept DEMO feature for Florentine Style combat (Dual weapon). New Ini File! Read Florentine Style combat Read me file (new in this REV) to unlock this feature.
  • Rev 4.3.1 Fix so fatigue is never reduced to zero for Tuck and Roll and so NPC will also use the Tuck and Roll system.
  • Rev 4.3 When the player and actors land after a high fall they must tuck and roll to negate damage or they will fall face first into the dirt. This makes for some very fun Oblivion City jumping games! But it also adds another consideration to deal with in combat.
  • Rev 4.1.1 Top heavy Blunt weapons and short shots are now more visceral with a feeling of weight and force.
  • Rev 4.1 Default Critical Damage set back to were it was pre rev 3 and a bug fix for the momentum game mechanics. Now you can side step and the further you are off center to your opponents running momentum vector the less the running momentum bonus will effect you.
  • Rev 4.0.2 Micro update to try to fix a timing issue with the bash kick.
  • Rev 4.0.1 micro update to remove the "trip to the ground" effect from fatigue going to down to ZERO or less after consuming fatigue for attacking or blocking.
  • Rev 4 a major bug was corrected that put 2 handed blunt weapons as a huge disadvantage. New game mechanics for blunt weapons to consume less fatigue for blocking and now they are the opposite of blade weapons in that they consume more fatigue trying to swing them then when you actually land a shot.
  • Rev 3.0.3 new INI so that you can adjust the Khajiit H2H bonus from 1.1 to 2 max. Set to 0 to turn it off. Changed the script for the Kick Bash so that you can do this kick with a bow in your hands even if you have arrows still equipped! You must be Bow Blocking FIRST (by holding your block control) then press your attack button to trigger the kick bash!
  • Rev 3.0.1 New Shield Bash Script for far better synchronization of this special attack and the in game results.
  • REV 3 Khajiits can now inflict double H2H damage. H2H fatigue consumption bug fixed so now H2H is not overpowered.
  • 2.9.2 Bug fix to stop daggers from performing short shots.
  • 2.9.1 Various small bug fixes including preventing animals and other H2H attackers from performing wrap shots.
  • 2.9 Shield bash will not work on ethereal targets like wraths unless the shield is enchanted or is Silver or Golden Saint or Dark Seducer or Daedric or Dremora. This change makes the shield bash work in the same way as the vanilla weapon attacks.
  • 2.8.6 New Shield bash will not work on ethereal targets like wraths unless the shield is enchanted, and Kicks will not work on ethereal targets unless your H2H is 50 or higher. This change makes the bash and kick work in the same way as the vanilla punch and weapon attacks.
  • 2.8.5 NEW 25% success penalty to Bob and Weave Dodge if the attacker is aiming above the legs and below the neck.
  • 2.8.4 Major Revision to stop the Essential actor health bug.
  • 2.8.3 Major Revision. Previous rev allowed you to slow all Titan size (very large creatures) down to speed 20. But that included all Horses! This revision excludes Horses from the speed truncating feature.
  • 2.8.2 Momentum damage switch off has been changed to a hard limit. Set to ZERO to turn momentum damage off or set to any whole positive number to act as the hard limit of momentum damage.
  • 2.8.1 Stagger effect if actors try to Grapple Block an opponent that is much bigger and stronger. Block will still succeed however. There is also a new INI file option to adjust the push force to work with Physics and magic force mods. This mod will be designed to work best with the Realistic Physics and Force Package v1.2 By: 46&2 Update by: LogicDragon using the "Friction Increase & Less Rigid Body" actor skeletons using the RealisticForceHigh.esp But you DO NOT need theses mods to use this mod. They are not required!
  • 2.8 Major bug fix to the push power of the grapple throw. This one was a carless script typo mistake on my part. Sorry.
  • 2.7.6 Aim off center (at the straps and hinge) at a vampires torso armor to do extra damage and eventually knock the armor from their heart. Much less damage is done to the body of the vampire while you do this but dramatically more damage is done to the health of the armor. Once the armor health is zero it will fall to the ground. You must aim your shots at chest level and at least 10 degrees off center of the vampire. If you use Duke Patricks - Nosferatu Class Vampires you need to upgrade that mod to rev 4.5 or better. Any actor with the word "Zombie" in their name will be corrected (down to 10 ) for speed and agility. This is intended to effect mod added "zombies" that are really NPC made to look like zombies such as the Zombie Knights from MMM.
  • 2.7.5 Bug fix for leg shot knockdowns calcs by creatures. Plus NPC/Creatuers (that face smaller actors) agility will have less importance in the calculations for their attacks. This is REALTIVE SIZE, so a scamp will not be effected when fighting another scamp but a giant will be effected when fighting a human. And a Human will be effected when they fight a scamp and so on. Player already has this kind of a penalty due to the fact the crosshair location matters now. So this new calculated penalty is not applied to the player only the creatures and actors.
  • 2.7.4 Kick and Shield Bash much improved. Takes less time to trigger them and they behave more like real attacks now. (new INI as of rev 2.7.3 )
  • REV 2.7.2 Kick Bash will now work if you have no arrows equipped but your bow is in your hand. And The third person view switcher is much improved. You must download rev 2.7.1 and use all the files (new INI ) from that zip first.
  • 2.7.1 Optional feature to make sure all Smash of the Titian type creatures have a slow speed attribute. And the Leg Trip calcs are much more effected by damage now to make taking down larger opponents easier if you can do a lot of damage all at once on their leg.
  • 2.7 Optional feature for creatures that have SMASH OF THE TITIAN attacks. If they knock you to the ground with the script "pushactoraway" command they will then back off and wait a few seconds giving you a little time to get back up. Depending on how hard they hit you this in many cases will allow enough time to get back up. But sometimes it will not.
  • 2.6.8 Last attempt to fix bug that popped your view back and forth incorrectly (with out consistency) from 1st person to 3rd when Bash Kicking. If this still has issues I will remove the option to switch for the bash kick. It is not worth the problems that switching dynamically seems to cause. Plus a bug fix to increase efficiency in the creature script and a bug that may have countered the friendship ring.
  • 2.6.7 Very important ESP file only update to prevent some strings such as the (feint messages) from getting saved to the save game.
  • 2.6.6 Fix for a rare Paralysis bug, removed less death from behind feature as it was not in harmony with my design philosophy, add Friendship Ring For Companion Detection option.
  • 2.6.5 Fix bug that poped your view back and forth from 1st person to 3rd when NPC were kicking.
  • 2.6.4 Option to use Kick bash in first person (read the read file) option now to run a drink potion animation when you drink a potion from your inventory, this is still experimental so it is by default off. You will need to use the new INI file as well.
  • 2.6.3 Bob and weave will auto uncrouch in most cases and costs less fatigue per dodge.
  • 2.6 New system to change weapons that you see on the ground so you do not need to pick them up to change the stats. Read me has a much expanded section on momentum damage. INI default for momentum damage is now OFF!
  • REV 2.5.4 Micro update so that it is possible to turn off the momentum bonus system to work with mods that manipulate the attackbonus actor value.
  • Rev 2.5.3 House keeping on some scripts that were longer and more elaborate than they needed to be. One small bug fix and some tweaking to the H2H and stagger scripts.
  • Rev 2.5.2 I think I finaly squished that spinning bash kick CTD bug!
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I don't care! I'll comment here anyway: Thanks for making this, now I can start my final playthrough! :thumbup:

Sounds like Mount and blade in oblivion but better :D thanks for taking the time to do this mod.this is nice but anyone got setting that are less overkill? so an imp doesn't one shot you with bare fist while wearing a full suit of steal armor lol.

Thank you very much. This has made being a monk, perfect, in my taste. Doing a high, very high jump, and landing with all that momentum, whilst delivering a solid blow to the head of greedy highwaymen; Thank you very much.

This is a great mod and brings realism into Oblivion. But I have one problem, I'm afraid. The Ragdoll gets insane, bodies flying 100 yards and blasted rats knocking me down with a massive force :P Any ideas?

Note: I'm also playing with UVII.

Cheers.

This is a great mod and brings realism into Oblivion. But I have one problem, I'm afraid. The Ragdoll gets insane, bodies flying 100 yards and blasted rats knocking me down with a massive force :P Any ideas?Note: I'm also playing with UVII.Cheers.

In the read-me he specifies that this mod was made to be used with a certain physics and force mod. The URL for it is in the read-me as well. It states that the mod isnt required, but without it, you will get knocked around by rats and hammers like they were giants.

So the support threads, after following them, each lead me to a new one after post limit reached a maximum, all the way to the point where the last thread is maxed out, but there are no new places to post questions,,, So, just in case you do read these comments and find mine, I was wondering how to change the amount of fatigue it takes to CONNECT a punch on an enemy. I can land two punches before my fatigue is burned out all the way. Any advice?

Like I said, I almost never read these, I do not have the time to following multiple threads on multiple web sites and work on 30 mods at the same time. So I only answer support questions in ONE place, the Bethesda forums (see link in the above description.)

So if you want support you need to go to the Bethesda forums. If the thread is full, do a keyword search for the newest one!

Advice for punching: train your Strength, H2H and Fatigue up more. Reduce your encumbrance.

So the support threads, after following them, each lead me to a new one after post limit reached a maximum, all the way to the point where the last thread is maxed out, but there are no new places to post questions,,, So, just in case you do read these comments and find mine, I was wondering how to change the amount of fatigue it takes to CONNECT a punch on an enemy. I can land two punches before my fatigue is burned out all the way. Any advice?

Hi to all this my first time i write something in a forum. The mod is fantastic made the game realy hard what i prefer actually:) Im making some new weapons all are very known artifacts

from Morrowind i found a modders rsource  of Chrysamerehttp://oblivion.nexusmods.com/mods/30759/?  with the same abilities as the one in Morrowind i twik the stats based on morrowind weapons and made it fit oblivion no godly stats or enything like that ofc.  I decided based on that weapon to make most weapons that had enchantment "cast when  used" style like Dedric Scourge' is there  a problem using these weapons with no problem with your mod? Ty in advance for reading and for making a realy good mod.

I signed up to the site just to download your mod, an LPer on youtube Pem The Loathsome Casual is doing a playthrough with your mod, I can't stand deadly reflex and I love SCA combat, keep up the mods I've also downloaded your philosophers stone artifacts. Not sure if you are active anymore, but your mods are awesome!

• Upvote 1