DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Help With Quest Script?

Auroch

I'm working on a mod with one simple quest.  Basically:

1. Player speaks to NPC1.  NPC1 gives them info, then tells PC to look around town.  Journal entry says that PC should speak to NPC2 standing behind NPC1.

2. NPC2 is unresponsive when questioned.  Journal entry mentions seeing NPC1 again.

3. PC sees NPC1 who tells them the secret to speaking with NPC2.  Journal entry suggests speaking to NPC2 again.

4. NPC2 gives info, gives quest, gives key.  Journal entry suggests going to the farmhouse.

5. PC goes to location (a farmhouse) and uses key to get in.  Upon entering the interior cell, the next journal entry is prompted and it suggests that there must be some items of interest here.

6. Opening the jewelry box and removing a love note advances the quest and prompts a journal entry to look for another clue (PC must have both of these to present to NPC1 for quest ending) unless it's the second clue found, in which case a journal entry suggests taking both clues back to NPC1.

7. Removing the book from the bookshelf (the only book there) prompts a journal entry saying look for another clue, as stated above, unless it's the second clue gathered, at which point the journal entry about seeing NPC1 pops up.

8. PC returns to NPC1 and both items are removed, the NPC says some dialogue, and the quest ends.

I know how to add things in the Quest windows (i.e., setstage MyQuestName 10, additem, etc.), but I have no idea how to actually script the quest itself.  I don't even know where to begin, besides "begin gamemode" and "scn MyQuestName."

I've read through the TESIV CS wiki, and I'm STILL lost.  I tried the homework assignment from one of your classes, but I'm not sure I got it right.  Do you have any advice at all?  It would be MUCH appreciated.

Hi There,

I have moved your post, because what you are struggling with is actually questbuilding, not scripting. Many, perhaps even most, quests do not have or require quest scripts. Many novice quest builders assume that a quest script must be applied. Quest scripts can be useful to command certain things to occur in a quest, when other technique are not sufficient. However, your quest does not appear to require a script at all, instead dialogue, conditions, and result scripts (simple one line scripts added to dialogue or quest stages) will be the tools you use to create your quest.

Begin by reading through Scholar Lingwei's lessons in this class; he will walk you through quest basics. Then post back here with specific questions when you get stuck, I'll help if I can!  :wave:

For More Useful Tutorials, follow these links:

http://cs.elderscrol.../Quest_Tutorial

http://cs.elderscrol...alogue_Tutorial

http://cs.elderscrol..._Video_Tutorial

Good Luck!  :wave: