DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

simpler texturing please

Calliton

Nope. GIMP is a photo editing software, it can alter textures. To alter meshes you will need NifSkope and Blender. Some small edits can be done in NifSkope, such as removing the belt from a pair of greaves. However, more ambitious changes will need modeling. Modeling is one of the most complicated aspects of Oblivion modding, but there are some tutorials to get you started.

Team Lieutenant Echonite did some video tutorials on modeling weapons: http://www.tesallian...=viewtopic&t=97

i read texturing 101 an dim like frazzledcan anyone give me th ebasic editing of textures for dummies or something?ive never modded before in ymlife an dim just like a littl ekid whos walked intot he wrong theatre

Gimp and Blender both have disgusting interfaces, even if they are the most developed free modeling and texturing software currently known.

Paint.net is perhaps the better program to begin with when doing simple texture related work, such as a re-colour. It also has native support for the .DDS file, which is the file type all the textures of Oblivion are.

http://www.paint.net/

Modeling is an intensely complicated process - if you wish to create characters, you must also learn to texture, regardless of what you plan to model, and if you are to create characters, sound creation and/or voice-acting is a must. It would perhaps be best to wait until you can provide a texture for the model.

I can't hand out any tutorials, but I can give advice. :lmao:

Edit: To apply a texture to a model with NifSkope - search for a flower in the panel to your left. There should be text next to it, which says something similar to "Textures/(Folder)/(Texture)." Press the flower, and you will be brought up with a search menu. Find the texture you wish to apply to the model, and press it. Once that has been done, you can crop out any text behind 'Textures.'

i can open the mesh with nifscope or somethign like that, but i have no idea how to get the texture into gimp

You just start GIMP and click File>Open and find your texture wherever you have it. However, all textures for Oblivion are .dds files. (.dds mean direct draw surface) they require a special plugin before you can open them in GIMP.

You can download the Plugin here: http://nifelheim.dyn.../~cocidius/dds/

To create Normal Maps (every texture needs one) you'll need another plugin: http://nifelheim.dyn...dius/normalmap/

i read texturing 101 an dim like frazzledcan anyone give me th ebasic editing of textures for dummies or something?ive never modded before in ymlife an dim just like a littl ekid whos walked intot he wrong theatre
Gimp and Blender both have disgusting interfaces, even if they are the most developed free modeling and texturing software currently known.Paint.net is perhaps the better program to begin with when doing simple texture related work, such as a re-colour. It also has native support for the .DDS file, which is the file type all the textures of Oblivion are.http://www.paint.net/Modeling is an intensely complicated process - if you wish to create characters, you must also learn to texture, regardless of what you plan to model, and if you are to create characters, sound creation and/or voice-acting is a must. It would perhaps be best to wait until you can provide a texture for the model.I can't hand out any tutorials, but I can give advice. :scary: Edit: To apply a texture to a model with NifSkope - search for a flower in the panel to your left. There should be text next to it, which says something similar to "Textures/(Folder)/(Texture)." Press the flower, and you will be brought up with a search menu. Find the texture you wish to apply to the model, and press it. Once that has been done, you can crop out any text behind 'Textures.'

i was wondering where that button was
thank you

It takes a little while to get used to the file structure, don't worry it gets easier once you've done it for a while. Open the Nif in Nifscope.

Click on the plus beside block 0 "NiNode"

Click on the plus beside the "NiTriStrips" or "NiTriShape" (you'll have to repeat for every NiTriStrips/iTriShape you want to retex)

Click on the plus beside NiTexturingProperty

The NiSource Texture will now be exposed, and you'll see the purple flower and the path to the texture file. If you click on the flower you can browse to your new texture.

Good Luck,

WT

Okay first, which program are you using GIMP or NifSkope?

This is how retexturing works in Oblivion.

1) You need to unpack the original picture (texture) and the normal map (BSA Commander

2) You open the picture in GIMP to makes changes to it, like change the color, sharpen the image, etc.

3) You save the picture to your data folder under DataTexturesYourModName (

4) Then you pull the model (mesh) for that texture using BSA Commander

5) Put the mesh in your DataMeshes folder (If it's a sword, for example, it will be under DataMeshesYourModNameWeaponsYourSword.nif)

6) NOW you can open NifSkope Click Load and navigate to the mesh you just put in your data folder

7) When the mesh is loaded a NiNode will appear in the block list with an arrow next to it, click the arrow to expand the tree. There will be a branch or more called NiTriStrip or NiTriShape Click the arrow next to that to open yet another tree. The NiTriShape will have one more arrow, click it to reveal the coveted purple flower.

8) Click the flower and navigate to your texture. The Normal Map applies automatically as long as it's of the same name and in the same folder as the texture, so dont worry about that. Once you've applied the texture, click save as and save the model, it will ask if you want to overwrite the existing model, say yes.

9) Add your new model to the CS to add it to game.

These steps should help clarify the order of things, but I will try to work up a very basic tutorial with pictures; it may take a few days to get it online so check back if you're still stuck.  :)

[EDIT] Wind swooped in while I was typing all this! LOL Here's a link to some basic GIMP tutorials http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/#Photo

They aren't specifically for Oblivion, but it will help with teaching you the tools of GIMP if you need some help in that respect.  :wave:

I will try to work up a very basic tutorial with pictures; it may take a few days to get it online so check back if you're still stuck.  

Okay, as promised I put together a very basic walkthrough of the retexturing process from start to finish with images to help! You should be able to get on your feet now, but post back if you have further questions. You can find the tutorial here as Part 01 and Part 02

Good Luck!  :wave: