DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Change Model form Clanky Metal to Arrow Stickable Wood

Loony

Hello Everyone,

My workflow pipeline for adding a mesh into the game is as follows:

1. Model in maya (i'm a ton more familiar with it)

2. Export fbx to Max (poly mesh + physics mesh)

3. change physics mesh to bhkCollision and Export using NIF plugin

4. import into game

The problem i'm facing involves the sound the objects make and how they react with arrows. I recently created some wooden items, wood walls...etc But whenever a sword or any weapon hits them they emit shiny particles as if they're made of metal and if i fire an arrow at them the arrow simply bounces off as opposed to sticking into it.

I've done a lot of tinkering in nifscope to try and fix this particularly in the bhkCollisionObject tree but to no avail

How can I fix this and where?

Thanks for the help

In case  this matters the bhk tree is as follows

-bhkCollisionObject

---bhkRigidBodyT

-----bhkNiTriStripsShape

-------NiTriStripsData

Thanks again

When using a generalized triangular collision, as you are, you will not get the correct sound unless you include a bhkMoppBvTreeShape block.  Blender can now reliably export triangular collision with MOPP's.  AFAIK 3ds Max can too, if you have version 3.0 or later of the nif exporter.  Also, collision primitives will produce the correct sound if they are not part of a bhkListShape list.  However, bhkConvexVerticesShape collisions will not catch arrows.

Hello

Thanks for the info. I installed the latest plugin for Max NIF Import/exporter (V3.4) and I gave it a try when I export it still exports as bhkRigidBodyT with no sign of bhkMoppBvTreeShape anywhere. Is there a special method I should follow as opposed to the old one?

What I do now is import my fbx mesh, select the physics mesh, Modify it and add bhkRigidBodyModifier

I select the material as Wood and then export the NIF.

When I import it obviously still has the same problem

anything else I should Do?

From forum discussions I've read, it does appear that 3ds Max can export MOPP's, but I don't have Max so can't help you with that.  If you have Blender, you could import your meshes to it and export MOPP's collision from there, but I see that you are already using two modelers and three would be a stretch.

Try posting your question on a 3dsMax forum.  Or the construction set at the official forums.  If you are lucky, Phitt (who uses Max) will answer there. He will know the best answer for sure.

Hey Looney,

There is a different setup process for collision from 3.0 on. If you check the NifTools webbsite they've got a nice little tutorial complete with pictures on how to use it.

I'm at work now so I don't have MAX handy, but basicly you got the Create tab (tabs at the top right of you're screen), click on helpers (tape measure icon) and select NifTools from the drop down list. That will you allow you to create the pieces you need (BHKCollisionObject, etc.) If you have trouble or can't find the tut post back here, and I'll walk you through it from my home PC.

Good Luck,

WT

Thanks for the help

WindmillTilter I found the new nifExport V 3.4 and I followed the process

I select the collision mesh

go to the utilities - Nifprops

i tick the Is Collision Mesh check box

select my material (example wood) then layer (example static)

sometimes I edit Penetration Depth

then i export

But While exporting it proceeds till it hits the 'pCylinder1' Collision then max crashes

any idea what's going on?

Should I be doing this in another way?

Thanks for the help

Alright so I followed your instructions and it worked out dandy, well kind of dandy, dandy enough though, would get kinkier with a bit of tweaking.

So here are the steps I followed:

I get my model and collision mesh into 3D Max (done on 2008)

On the right menu I click the create - helpers

[align=center]nifTuT01.JPG[/align]

then i select NifTools from the drop down menu and select bhkRigidBody

[align=center]nifTuT02.JPG[/align]

I specify the material type and edit all the params to my liking

[align=center]nifTuT03.JPG[/align]

then I click in any view and scale the new invisible box to my liking around my mesh

[align=center]nifTuT04.JPG[/align]

then I click on "add" and select the collision mesh I created

[align=center]nifTuT05.JPG[/align]

Then I export

Let me know if I'm missing anything and if not I guess people can use it as a quick tutorial in case they run into the same problem.

Cheers

Loony

Hey sorry for the slow response, I"ve been living under a rock.

Sounds like you've got it figured. I've never done it exactly like that as I'm lazy and like their new optimizer, but it should work just fine.

FYI you no longer have to make a seperate collision mesh, if you drop in a CollProxy and point it at the original you can tweak the optimization untill you hit a good performance/detail level. Saves quite a bit of time.

HERE'S the tut on using it.

Post if you have any more questions/problems,

Good Luck.

WT