DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Texturing:: Painting Creation (GIMP)

The normal map is detected by the model automatically as long as it matches its texture. So if your texture is dog.dds your normal map will be dog_n.dds and the model will detect it automatically. Just put the normal map in the same folder with the texture.

Once you change the texture path in nifskope, it "sticks" WHEN YOU SAVE IT I can't spell it out any simpler. You're making this way harder than it is and way harder than it ought to be. Keep it simple. :D

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So now we have the lighting done we need to change a few settings in our normal map window:

Wrap: Check Filter: 3x3 Scale: 6.00000 Height source: Alpha Alpha channel: Unchanged DU/DV map: None

Screenshot16.jpg

I have a problem w/ this:

ddscantcompress.jpg

How do I save as a DXT1 when the program won't let me unless the Filter is Sample 4? Please explain, thanks.

Edited by freewaydog

You cannot save a PNG in any way like that, DXT3 is a DDS compression option :)

But I am confused because that guy said:

Actually, it does, also when making your picture, the .png works best, and if you follow Insanity Sorrows tutorial ( like me ) when you go to save as a copy, if you want a superior quality painting look, save as DX3 alpha. then go and use it to make your normal map.

If your image is a jpg before you make it a .dds then it just is. There's no need to convert it to a .png first because any quality variation between a jpg and a png is already lost. If your original image is a jpg, you can still make it a .dds and into a paining, you just want to start with the best quality images you can. Not all images make good textures.