DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Texturing:: Painting Creation (GIMP)

:cry: I thought I had, and you`re right, it wont hardly save without exporting. I stuck it into a photoshop file back to my pics, at least the changes are saved. Thank you RDD. :wave:

O.k. so I go looking all over the gimps various sites and no file ext. references, nothing about normal maps either. Maybe through the wikis.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RDD, are you saving at a high enough resolution? Without checking, I'm guessing 1024x1024 should probably be about right, but less than that could look a bit mushy when viewed close up.

At the risk of sounding dumb, how does one change the image resolution in Gimp? I've tried Scale Image and it doesn't change it even after I saved.

At the risk of sounding dumb, how does one change the image resolution in Gimp? I've tried Scale Image and it doesn't change it even after I saved.

That's very odd, it should work. Then again, there's lots of things in computing that "should" work, but anyway...Just checking one thing: you are pressing the "scale" button at the bottom of the scale image dialogue, aren't you? I'm not trying to be clever, it's something that I somehow manage not to do myself on occasion so I thought it was worth checking.Bear in mind, however, that if your source image is under 1024x1024 there's no point scaling it up as that'll just add to the overall mushiness: my comment was based on the assumption that you had a nice big source image and you were downscaling it for your DDS, but I thought it was worth mentioning (I hope none of this is stuff you're already well familiar with, I'm afraid I've no idea of your Gimp skills... :wave: and mine aren't that amazing, FWIW).

I did press the scale button and my source images are vanilla .dds oblivion ones. I guess my next question is, do I need to resave these images to .psd or png to resize the resolution?

:cry:

:cry: I thought I had, and you`re right, it wont hardly save without exporting. I stuck it into a photoshop file back to my pics, at least the changes are saved. Thank you RDD. :wave: O.k. so I go looking all over the gimps various sites and no file ext. references, nothing about normal maps either. Maybe through the wikis.

Here you go :clap:

DDS Plugin

Normal Map Plugin

Ok so usually you grab an image that is bigger than what you need and re-scale it to a smaller size, this keeps your detail while chaning to a new size. Now if you do it the opposite way some images can and will become blurry and loose some quality, really there is not much you can do, but you can try adding a few filters to it like running the sharpening filter on it. This will at least bring back a small amount of quality.

I got the plugins and extracted them into Gimp 2.6.6. Went back in and called up my saved painting>files>save as> file ext....no .dds. Tried to save to .dds in photopaint, save into my pics. Called it up there in the gimp but again no .dds. This is getting freaky. It`s acting as if the .dds plugin isn`t importing even though when I try to extract from WinRar I`m told the file already exists and do I want to override...When I open Gimp the file listing is there, both .dds, and normals. It`s gotta be something simple.

Yup, just what I was planning. I am going to wipe the .dds and normals files first though, I`m running Vista Home Prem. with SP2 on 64 bit. Vista`s funny about reinstalling over existing files. Also I couldn`t find the "creat mipmap" box. Is it part of the normals map plugin?

Well that didn`t work. also it looks like I`m missing the tool bars to the right of the screen. I wiped and DLed Gimp and both plugins twice using a different mirror the second time and killed my proxy, still no good. Just doesn`t want to work. Gotta be a way.

Make sure you place the DDS plugin into your GimpPlugins folder. Some of the normal map files go in there and the rest in another folder, so make sure to follow the instructions.

I am using Vista 32bit and it works like a charm, so its a case of a wrong installation. The mip map check box only appears when you get the DDS plugin installed.

Ok here's a couple of close up with my texture problem, now when I did make them I did resize the Obivion balcany wall texture much smaller and then copy pasted the smaller image into the various sized castle textures.

Obliviontextureproblem.jpg

Obliviontextureproblem1.jpg

( Course just had to show my painting texture off thanks to the great tutorial )

I'm only a beginner of Gimp and the normal map settings I used were the same as the blanket tutorial had as apart from that tutorial I tried other settings and it was jam packed with much unwanted shine, hmmm putting the shine back into daedric metal perhaps? In any case I really need help with what settings to use and how artitectral textures are made and done etc.

Thanks so much for the help.

Actually you can compress a normal map using DXT3, make sure to select MIp Maps too. This is the best compression for a normal map and keeps all detail.

I think the best size for a texture in Oblivion is 512x512, so if you are making your images bigger try either that or 256x256 as cbh said. Also applying a sharp filter (50%) should give the image enough touch to make it acceptable and easily usable :eyeroll:

:eyeroll: Okay, InsanitySorrow, You used TES4Archive. If I use BSACommander, will NifSkope look/act different? Because when I hit the open arrows looking for NIFSource I get nothing like that. I get something like NIFTriStrips and others I cant even remember now. I got my mesh referance there but not into the framelike boxy thingy. I`ll DL TES4Archive if I have to but I gotta tell ya BSAC did in one step wnat Archive took a bunch of steps. It was wierd till I realized I was where you wanted me to end up...I hope. Whatta long day. I`m gonna break awhile, maybe go throw some more shrubbery at my house...or maybe go close that OB gate just over the hill from Halcyon House. B ack soon. :coolup:

I got to NiTexturingProperty, but no NiSourceTexture. That`s what I was searching for. The expand arrows ran out before we got to NST. In the versions I`m running of gimp,NifSkope,Archiver, the buttons aren`t always where I`m being directed to so I have to explore all over till I fine a familiar landmark, then bounce back to the tut to see if it`s truely correct. Gettin tired now, started arouind 8 am. It`s now 6:30, forgot lunch too. I refuse to get bent over this. It`s just alot of totally new ground. You`ve all been great. I really appreciat it. Thank you all. :eyeroll::coolup:

aa_wall.gif Hey IS. I got a problem getting NifSkope to apply my texture in to the window when I double click the texture line. Everything works fine up to this point. I`ve gone through the steps from scratch three times now to make sure I didn`t skip, or miss any steps. Also my window looks different...it`s black with white squares. kinda wierd.

Thanks cbh, item first: compression= DXT1, as directed. Item next: taking the painting into the game or CS is one of the next steps, so no I haven`t tried that yet. Item last: I`ve been through the prelims so many times I could find these files in my referigerator if I had to ( I am sooo a veteran of "Quest For The Lost File of Atlantis). I`ll review IS`s and your info concerning pathing this thing now.

[edit] Another problem I have is that my background saves at 512x512, no problem, but my image will only hold one 512 value either width or height but not both. With the width at 512, the height changes to 384 on save. There comes a warning that gimp wont save the "creat mipmaps" command on an image not a power of two. I`ve been disregarding this as per IS`s direction, but maybe this is different. Either way the application result of image to background looks exactly like the one in the tut. Break time... :pints::cry::)

Oh looks like I am late, sorry about that :eyeroll:

BSA Commander

This will work the same as TES4Archive, as long as you know your way around it then use it :idea:, The reason I chose TES4 Archive is becuase I prefer it, but all BSA programs work the same and DO NOT effect the .NIF.

Compression

Yup DXT1 with NO mip maps, don't worry about any complaints about this, GIMP and PS alike can complain at the smallest things, this will not cause any issues.

Image Size

THe background image is perfectly 512x512 but your main image will also be smaller on one side. This is how GIMP handles the change and it makes sure that the aspect ratio is kept, it also makes sure the image does not get messed up. This is the main reason why we created the background.

When you apply the texture to the NIF and test it, you will notice or should notice that the black background that was visible [at the top and bottom of the image] should now be gone, the background is there as a precaution.

NifSkope

CBH was right in what he said, but it sounds like your version of NifSkope could be causing problems. Could you post a screen shot of your problem and I can help correct it.

Additional

If you look in the post below the normal map tutorial I uploaded the files I used during this tutorial. This includes the NIF as well which maybe able to help you.

That`s the problem IS. The texture wont go into nif.

nifskopeproblems.jpg

Here ya go. I did DL this copy of NifSkope from your link and I`d prefer not to just DL your T&M. I~ve got to figure this out. There`s alot I want to do with this. Thank you very much, and cbh, for all your help. Sorry I dont know how to make it enlarge.

Ahh, I have seen that before and its an issue with the texture. Give me a little time to recall what the fix was (or ask around), just cannot remember atm.

And also, I do not mind if you choose not to use the resources I put up, mostly they are there for reference incase you are unsure :bagged:

Edit: Here is what WhoGuru said, she had exactly the same issue:

AhH! He's not flattening the image after he's applied the screenshot to the texture and BEFORE he saves and adds the DXT1 compression.

:blush: That's the step he's missing.

:bagged: Thank you Who, something kept telling me that there should be a flatten step. I forget where I was instructed in this...Maybe DarkRiders blanket recolor? I`ll try that now. IS, I can see why you`ve been away some. You`ve been a busy busy modder. Thank you so much for taking time to help me, I`ve got all these powerful tools in my tool box and learning how to use them takes so long.

:blush: