DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[Design Phase] ES Mod Database

ES Mod Database Designing

Description:

The ESMD was an idea I had a while back and was working on, well untill I got sidetracked and then lost interest. With my new found interest in learning Visual Basic 2008 [i've had previous experience with VB6] I have decided to start fresh.

The idea is, is to have an App that allows the user to browse through a list of mods [Pre-generate by me as problably a txt file], then they can click on the mod in the list and a new window with all the lovely details will appear. Another feature will be the option to search for a mod, either by author or name.

Here is the basic layout I have so far, remember this is massively WIP becuase I started from scratch:

BasicLayout.jpg

Where you come in:

Well I have general ideas for the GUI in my head, like tabs at the top of the app for: "Oblivion Mods", "Morrowind Mods", "Search Mods". But thats it, I am stuck on the other design bits like banners, colours, font style ect.

So I need some help in this area the most, but if you have function ideas or you know VB 2008 and wanna help with some code snippets then please post aa_biggrin.gif

for the database, I could see having information like, mod name, author, version, if available, and some manner of description, and possibly category as well. (as in, gameplay, combat, house mod, etc.) Being able to search with any combination of fields would be nice too.

for the database, I could see having information like, mod name, author, version, if available, and some manner of description, and possibly category as well. (as in, gameplay, combat, house mod, etc.) Being able to search with any combination of fields would be nice too.

Yup I have planned for those details, still working on the layout for the screen though. Currently studying as I go becuase the VB6 stuff I learned does not hold up to 2008, so multiple search choices are uncertain for me.

If I could might I suggest a darkish combo of colors? Something like this forum's basic - a blend of shades of gray or another dark color, because the lighter colors put a strain on my eyes.

I don't think you'd need to be too decorative with banners or what not. I think the simple box you've got there is great, if a little bright.

If I could might I suggest a darkish combo of colors? Something like this forum's basic - a blend of shades of gray or another dark color, because the lighter colors put a strain on my eyes.

I don't think you'd need to be too decorative with banners or what not. I think the simple box you've got there is great, if a little bright.

Hmm, never thought of that. Will give it a go and see how it turns out :)

Thanks :) , well I don't mind if it aint popular, I think it will be better than having to scan through an Excel spreadsheet and the like. Any additional ideas for it?

Being able to import data into the database from an excell spreadsheet would be cool....... and integrating it into an existing database?

Being able to import data into the database from an excell spreadsheet would be cool....... and integrating it into an existing database?

Importing an excel spreadsheet should be possible, but you won't be able to merge it with a database though. You maybe able to load both a database and spreadsheet into the app and get both lists. But who knows. Currently got it reading a text file which is by far a lot bloody easier :)

Or importing more data through some means, like a .txt file, which you'd mentioned in your first post. Is that even possible at my end without me ripping into the code, or would it have to be a spreadsheet?

Just thinking out loud...

Or importing more data through some means, like a .txt file, which you'd mentioned in your first post. Is that even possible at my end without me ripping into the code, or would it have to be a spreadsheet?

Just thinking out loud...

You wont have to look into the code at all. Default means will be a txt file and I will add support for database or spreadsheet later on.

I think a txt file is easier to read and write to, so I will support it and then once I have it all sorted I will add additional file import options.

Basic File Reading:

Readingtxtfile.jpg

A modtionary! Not pedia, that's overused. Or a Plug-intionary. O nevermind...

What will 'open file' do? Will this work with my Data folder? Or is it a list of all available mods out there that can be jammed into it?

EDIT - I couldn't see the OP while posting this. It's a list - a great big list - and I'm still wondering what 'Open File' will do.

And I agree with GW.

A modtionary! Not pedia, that's overused. Or a Plug-intionary. O nevermind...

What will 'open file' do? Will this work with my Data folder? Or is it a list of all available mods out there that can be jammed into it?

EDIT - I couldn't see the OP while posting this. It's a list - a great big list - and I'm still wondering what 'Open File' will do.

And I agree with GW.

Ok what you do is click the "Open File" button and from there you get an normal open file prompt you see in other programs. Then you select the text file you want and it loads the data into the app.

Gotcha - very cool! Maybe something like "Add File" ? Still it's going to be a sweet app.

Thanks, changed to "Add File" now, thanks for that aa_biggrin.gif

I am hoping this becomes handier than the list of links that are usually used, which bore me when looking for mods.

Edit: Oh yeah the "Add Mod" button is for writing mod entries to the text file, or at least it will be aa_biggrin.gif

Edit2: Changed "Add Mod" to "New Entry" for better clarification.

I think it'll be very cool for most players, and cool for all players if updated lists are available for them to add to it.

Now if you get this thing to do all the work of downloading the selected mod and installing it, why then we'll erect a statue of you and set it near the front gates! aa_biggrin.gif

hmm not a coder but I betcha it can be done.

I think it'll be very cool for most players, and cool for all players if updated lists are available for them to add to it.

Now if you get this thing to do all the work of downloading the selected mod and installing it, why then we'll erect a statue of you and set it near the front gates! aa_biggrin.gif

hmm not a coder but I betcha it can be done.

The idea is to have the app read from any txt file, so the user can either use community lists or updated lists I will provide with the app and as a separate download.

Downloading the file is possible, way beyond the scope of the app and difficult for a site like Nexus or PES that run through PHP queries to access the servers.

Ohh - so I stick a text file somewhere and ask the app to read it? I don't have to input anything? Just direct the app to the file's location? That is very cool and should be in ALL CAPS when you release it, so that dullards like me can instantly understand. We tink dem caps is kewl.

Oh, well I was kidding about the downloading - that'll be an add-on when the Alliance's download section is filled to bursting. aa_biggrin.gif I'm sure Rider would be able to think of some exclusive use for this and make it work. :wicket: Kidding there too!

Ohh - so I stick a text file somewhere and ask the app to read it? I don't have to input anything? Just direct the app to the file's location? That is very cool and should be in ALL CAPS when you release it, so that dullards like me can instantly understand. We tink dem caps is kewl.

Oh, well I was kidding about the downloading - that'll be an add-on when the Alliance's download section is filled to bursting. aa_biggrin.gif I'm sure Rider would be able to think of some exclusive use for this and make it work. :pints: Kidding there too!

I like the idea of being able to download the file, but obviously there are limits to how it can be done since you need to log into the site ext. The best thing I can think of is having the link to the mod in the details list along with mod name etc.

Ok so I re-coded the add file button now, all you have to do is make sure the ModTextFile is in the same place as the App and it will automatically read the file when the "Add File" is pressed.

Its the same when saving a new entry to the text file, which now will save each entry you add to the same file with a space between mod entries.