DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Is there still interest in Armors?

Ouija

Not sure if I put this in the right place. Feel free to move or smack me or whatever if it's wrong.

I'm curious if you guys think there's still a need for armor in game. I'm extremely interested in learning how to model and am going to go through the classes you have set up here in the near future. Of course will be in my spare time so I'll be slow because I haven't figured out how to make time slow down yet.

Things I'd be interested in making are things I believe adventurer's would wear out and about. So no nakey stuff, no high heels, etc, etc. Just functional, nice looking armor.

Leave feedback good or bad please. If no call for it any more, I'm still going to do it but I'll just do it for my game and not offer them out if I happen to make anything I think is good enough.

Thanks!

Not sure if I put this in the right place. Feel free to move or smack me or whatever if it's wrong.

I'm curious if you guys think there's still a need for armor in game. I'm extremely interested in learning how to model and am going to go through the classes you have set up here in the near future. Of course will be in my spare time so I'll be slow because I haven't figured out how to make time slow down yet.

Things I'd be interested in making are things I believe adventurer's would wear out and about. So no nakey stuff, no high heels, etc, etc. Just functional, nice looking armor.

Leave feedback good or bad please. If no call for it any more, I'm still going to do it but I'll just do it for my game and not offer them out if I happen to make anything I think is good enough.

Thanks!

Oh yes, and armor modelers are in high demand for various projects. Get the hang of decent functional armor and you'll have a lot of interest. aa_biggrin.gif

Absolutely, Ouija. I don't think a day goes by where I don't read some lament over the lack of non-skimpy armor. I'm not saying that sort of complaining is fair, but it does point to a widely perceived shortcoming of such. I know that I would love to see more credible armor designs, since that's what I like when I play warrior characters.

Go for it! Go! I'm cheering you on!

Oh Oiuja please!! We so need more non-exhibitionist armor! :wicket: It's very difficult to deck a girl out in armor that isn't either A: Made for Barbarella or B: looks more at home on a guy.

Well, since we are being candid... I am a little bored of the Goth Loli mallrat "armor". :D The last time I checked, "Hot Topic" didn't have a branch in the IC. :P

ha ha ha ha, there is never enough new weapons and armor added into Oblivion. in fact, I've actually seen a lack of decent adventuring armor (in my opinion) maybe I just don't know how to search for armor, but I don't know...most armor I find isn't really armor.

I would love to see some of your work even if its beginners stuff; Hell, I will even test your beginners models :wicket:

Now that you're on your way, I wonder if this request is something you'd be up for -

A half open tunic ( think Luke in Star Wars ) exposing a small amount of smooth leather cuirass at the neck and chest.

Or a full robe opened at the chest with a glimpse ( and protection for the Player ) of leather beneath.

I have no idea how hard it would be, or if it's been done. But I've thought of this get-up off and on since day 3 of the game's existence in my drive.

Has it been done?

Regardless, best o' luck with your new endeavor, Ouija! :wicket:

Now that you're on your way, I wonder if this request is something you'd be up for -

A half open tunic ( think Luke in Star Wars ) exposing a small amount of smooth leather cuirass at the neck and chest.

Or a full robe opened at the chest with a glimpse ( and protection for the Player ) of leather beneath.

That sounds cool... aa_biggrin.gif

Hell, I will even test your beginners models :wicket:

Put me on the list too! You can never have to many clothes aa_tongue.gif

I found a pretty intresting download on TESNexus and it is a tutorial for a program called Wing3D which is another 3d modeling program...So I won't be using blender, but I think I too am going to learn some 3D modeling, so Grond, after a bit of learning, I will see what I can do. certainly it doesn't seem hard. but give me sometime k?

932.gif Maybe we need to start poking at some of our resident geniuses to give us some tut`s on this and other topics of interest. After all this is supposed to be somewhat of a modder`s school isn`t it? :rofl:

hmmm...perhaps, but how many people here use Wings3D? I don't know if anyone can teach me but I got my own tutorial...now Ouija on the other hand =P I don't knwo about her, she might need a few tutorials.

I don't think you will be able to do skinning in Wings3d if my memory serves me (and skinning is VERY difficult - at least for new modelers).

I really suggest learning Blender... it is the most powerful free modeling software and is really almost as powerful as 3dsmax... some people use both and switch between them for different tasks.

Pacific Morrowind

I don't think you will be able to do skinning in Wings3d if my memory serves me (and skinning is VERY difficult - at least for new modelers).

I really suggest learning Blender... it is the most powerful free modeling software and is really almost as powerful as 3dsmax... some people use both and switch between them for different tasks.

Pacific Morrowind

I don't even know what skinning is :rofl:

well right now I will learn Wings3D and then most of what I learn from it can probably be shifted over to Blender

I found a pretty intresting download on TESNexus and it is a tutorial for a program called Wing3D which is another 3d modeling program...So I won't be using blender, but I think I too am going to learn some 3D modeling, so Grond, after a bit of learning, I will see what I can do. certainly it doesn't seem hard. but give me sometime k?

THE MOST CURRENT OF HIS TUTS IS HERE!!! And here you can bend his ear!

THE MOST CURRENT OF HIS TUTS IS HERE!!! And here you can bend his ear!

:rofl: Yay, gottra getit, I just got the Wings 3D tut`s from the linky up top. I`ve begun to study Blender...they`re not kidding when they say it`s complicated, but it does make total sense once you get over the confusion. 65 pages into "Blender For Dummies" and about all I can do is move the default box around and look at whatever side I want. The tuts that come with it mostly rely on you already having read through the first 3 chapters of the manual and are familiar with the button layout. Definitly a powerful tool. Does skinning refer to applying textures to meshes? If so there are a couple of tuts here.

Does skinning refer to applying textures to meshes? If so there are a couple of tuts here.

nope. applying textures to meshes is UVmapping.

skinning is putting "bone weights" to each vertex of the mesh. the bone weights then tell oblivion how to move the mesh to fit animations. good skinning is ESSENTIAL to clothing, armours; though for helms, rings and amulets (and similar) it is simplicity itself since you only need to weight for one bone and since all weights have to add up to 1 for each vertex you just paint vertex weight on full. Reasonable UV maps are essential for ALL meshes. Except for skinning which I haven't yet mastered (or even got a good handle on) feel free to PM me with any questions, or ask here or anywhere else on the site and I might see it :pints: and answer it if I can.

Pacific Morrowind

skinning is putting "bone weights" to each vertex of the mesh. the bone weights then tell oblivion how to move the mesh to fit animations. good skinning is ESSENTIAL to clothing, armours; though for helms, rings and amulets (and similar) it is simplicity itself since you only need to weight for one bone and since all weights have to add up to 1 for each vertex you just paint vertex weight on full. Reasonable UV maps are essential for ALL meshes. Except for skinning which I haven't yet mastered (or even got a good handle on) feel free to PM me with any questions, or ask here or anywhere else on the site and I might see it XD and answer it if I can.

Pacific Morrowind

well I was motivated to learn 3D modeling...I'm going to uninstall wings3D now :pints:

WAHOO I'm so excited. I got a whole body into Blender! Now if you'll pardon me, I have a massive headache .. *rubs eyes*

just so you know it is best if you import the skeleton (or skeleton beast), select it and then import the body parts with "parent to selected armature" because otherwise You'll end up with the bones in multiple nodes which is annoying (but no real problems, just messy and confusing).

well I was motivated to learn 3D modeling...I'm going to uninstall wings3D now :pints:

don't give up... if Blender seems to complicated I would suggest gmax, it is wimpy but it's UI is very friendly and once you get a general understanding of modeling switching back to Blender will make a lot more sense than it did.

Pacific Morrowind

just so you know it is best if you import the skeleton (or skeleton beast), select it and then import the body parts with "parent to selected armature" because otherwise You'll end up with the bones in multiple nodes which is annoying (but no real problems, just messy and confusing).

don't give up... if Blender seems to complicated I would suggest gmax, it is wimpy but it's UI is very friendly and once you get a general understanding of modeling switching back to Blender will make a lot more sense than it did.

Pacific Morrowind

I haven't tried blender yet, but honestly...I don't have the time to learn how to do this.

skinning is putting "bone weights" to each vertex of the mesh. the bone weights then tell oblivion how to move the mesh to fit animations. good skinning is ESSENTIAL to clothing, armours; though for helms, rings and amulets (and similar) it is simplicity itself since you only need to weight for one bone and since all weights have to add up to 1 for each vertex you just paint vertex weight on full. Reasonable UV maps are essential for ALL meshes. Except for skinning which I haven't yet mastered (or even got a good handle on) feel free to PM me with any questions, or ask here or anywhere else on the site and I might see it :pints: and answer it if I can.

and all that was just jibberish to me that really only made it all the more intimidating to learn. Eh, I've said this already, I'm just considering dropping Modding. the only reason why I picked it up in the first place was because one of my biggest passions that preoccupied most of my time went away >P

I use to LOOOVE making/editing videos...even if they were crappy, to me, I loved it and no one could make me stop...buuut, then my computers harddrive had to get wiped because of a freaking over-taking and almighty virus and I lost my editing software I used...it was professional!

*sigh* >P

Hey thanks for this tip, PacificMorrowind. I think the tut I'm using to familiarize myself is from an older blender version and it was most confusing. Your tip made the lightbulb go on in my head so I did it backwards using your suggestion from what the tut said to do. Plus the fact it took me way to long to figure out what "armature" was. Why don't they just say skeleton for goodness sake! Would have saved me a large headache :pints:. Anyways, thanks again.

Update: I now have female body imported WITHOUT bones hanging out everywhere AND a duplicate torso (Scaled slightly larger) to work off of. Next up is getting the male set up.

So grond ... about what you asked about. I think I get what you are asking but it's been a rather long time since I've seen Star Wars. Can you find me a reference pic?

Just adding a bit of info here, our resident Modeling scholar is in the process of adapting his classes to better suit the new school, so keep an eye out for it. You couldn't ask for a better teacher and Vince has some exciting things planned for his next lessons! :wizard: