DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

General Questions

DarkRider

• 2 months later...

Yep. The distant land feature is groundbreaking, too. Now if only I could get MGE not to cause my graphics driver to fail every ten minutes. :thumbup: That's on an ATI Radeon 4850, mind you. And savegames take FOREVER to load with MWSE on (initialization seems to be the lag phase).

I've been playing again lately and am interested in making some BB clothing and/or armors. Nioliv's meshes are fabulous, but I'd like some new ones. Are there any Blender-related tutorials for MW rigging etc.? Is it just like Oblivion's with the necessity of using a clean skelly and so on? Are there special tweaks required after export with current NIF scripts? How do I properly set things up in the CS and make sure my .esp is clean? I just don't know! I have considerable experience meshing and texturing for Oblivion, so I'm not a stranger to Blender or TES games, I'm just needing a primer on Morrowind specifically.

Clothing/armour for MW is about as different as er hmm using a cross bow and a long bow - same end result but very different approach.

I have hardly any experience with doing so but a couple notes:

there is NO mesh rigging -no skelly.

It is rigged by setting different mesh pieces as "body parts" in the cs and then in the cs creating an armour/clothing that uses multiple of said body pieces.

You only need (i.e. can) model the one side - IIRC it is the right side for things like pauldrons (which are a seperate armour piece in MW), boots, gauntlets, and the game automatically mirrors it around. However there is a slight bug with mirroring - which shows up in some official meshes from Tribunal as well as some of my attempts - for the mirrored meshes there can be ONLY ONE tristrip/shape or the second/more don't get drawn in game for the left side.

Collision is fairly different - no boxes etc. - only accepts tri base collision and it is a bit different... I' suggest looking at some objects for the details. Nifskope works well and the blender export scripts work fine too.

For cleaning your esp I'd suggest using the MW enchanted editor - also can edit save games with it! - setting things up in the cs is pretty much the same as Oblivion except for worldspace, dialogue/questing and clothing/armour. For scripting get the indispensible MWSFD - Morrowind Scripting for Dummies.

Also (off topic) in regards the Blender Nifscripts Oblivion exportation options, I know you do animations and thought you might be interested in what I've done to them (muahaha): I was doing some exporting of animations for a certain top secret project of mine and was being irritated having to edit the animation sequence name after export; Now (with the dev version, available on the niftools forums or on github where Amorilia has the master and I have a fork) if you are exporting a kf file it asks you for the sequence name before export and sets it to whatever you enter - and defaults to Forward.

Pacific Morrowind

Thanks! I've saved your post for future reference. That is indeed very different (albeit somewhat easier). I've found tutorials for making new heads (I'll probably be doing that, too), but the ones for clothes tended to focus on CS setup and 3ds Max.

I haven't really done any animation for a loooong time (since I wrote about 3/4 of a tutorial on it and thus earned myself a jillion emails I couldn't answer because I'd never figured out what they were asking). But that is very exciting news. :P

• 3 months later...

Ok so i`m exploring various sites pertaining to MW CS tuts and such and I came across an "interactive map" for MW. Anybody hip to this? I`m curious about exactly what it does that makes it interactive...?Sounds cool.

Got this dealt with the other day in the shouty didn't you?

For others that may be interested:

Hamsters MorrowMap

Online Interactive map.

List of maps on UESP Wiki.

Ok here`s a question for any MW texturers.When I call up a mesh in nifskope from my unpacked and copied files all the textures are listed in the skope as .tga.In the unpacked texture file they`re all .dds,no .tga`s. When I try to apply a vanilla-unaltered texture to a highlighted section of the .nif it shows as a small blotch instead of coloring the whole area...if it shows at all.Also the .nif comes up in nifskope all white, no textures at all. I`ve checked all my file paths and they seem to be spot on.There`s very little info left around since MW`s getting pretty old and the people who used to be involved have moved on.

I`ll keep trying to see if there`s something different about the pathing from OB,maybe I have to rearrange things, dunno. Thanks folks and I`ll try to keep touch here to check for inputs.

Donnato, I have experienced the white textures in Nifskope "phenomenon" as well, but when I test my work in game, the textures work. I tried saving my tga files as dds, and of course I had Nifskope auto-detect my MW folder- still nothing. Sometimes resaving the nif with the texture applied and then re-opening the nif "cures" it.

I'll do some more recon on the matter later and post my findings, if any. :thumbup:

Donnato, I have experienced the white textures in Nifskope "phenomenon" as well, but when I test my work in game, the textures work. I tried saving my tga files as dds, and of course I had Nifskope auto-detect my MW folder- still nothing. Sometimes resaving the nif with the texture applied and then re-opening the nif "cures" it.

I'll do some more recon on the matter later and post my findings, if any. :o

Thank you GW, I thought that maybe it`d be ok in game, that the blotch was just to show that a tex had been applied...didn`t sound right though somehow.Yp I`ve tried the "save"trick but no soap.I tried alot of things before sending up this flare.I sure appreciate your help here, again, thank you.

• 7 months later...

Hi,

this is my first post after the presentation, in wich i explain my own needs for modding.

I was a bit longer, then take a seat and some drink before read :no:

For many years i have used mods, and secretly envied those that knew the art of modding.

Usually i was slightly unsatisfied of the majority of mods, for a reason or the other, and now, thanks a new modder that told of this place, i have had the chance to learn myself.

You never imagine my happiness: lessons for learn Morrowind modding, the pleasure to do all myself, almost in part-i think to focalize in some sections of modding, not in all- and now i'm here.

I want study and learn, especially in these sections of Morromodding:

Homes - i want create some new home for my characters, and/or modify these existing for my own game (of course i will release only my works, not the other works modified);

Rules- i have seen a lot of rules, WGI, BB, LDones and so on, and many are good, but my aim is to do a file only with the necessary rules for a good fair game;

Npc's- i want learn how adjoin Npc's to various places, modify them, and finally put them where needed.

Objects: like ships, and so on, to put somewhere for my own aims.

About releases:

Mmm, usually i prefer be greedy, and also i'm a damned perfectionist, if a thing not convince me i don't show, BUT, if i will see some future work that i may consider somewhat good, maybe i will release somewhere.

Now, please, i ask if there's some teacher for me that give me good modding lessons: i'm eager to learn, and i have the right mind to understand: slowly but firmly. (After all learn Surah Al-Fatiha was a harder work than learn modding)

Waiting patiently, hoping to find what i seek, and i salute you.

I wish you the best of luck Saad. Morrowind is a great game, rich in depth. When I returned to playing Morrowind after playing Oblivion, I was pretty astounded. The difference was palpable. This is really the best place to learn how to mod, thanks to Rider and the others that are willing to share their time and experience.

I would recommend beginning with construction set basics: http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/forum/12-construction-set-basics/

Those white textures are indeed annoying. Somehow I got stuck with white ears on my character. No matter what I did, I couldn't get the the textures to show. This was after I installed better heads.

The OB CS is pretty similar to the MW one, over all. Here are some Morrowind specific tutorials:

-Construction Set Basics - covers movement, loading plugins, and all that stuff.

-Guide to Interior Modding (ignore the Tamriel Rebuilt claiming specific sections)

-Making My First Room and its sequel, my Second Room. This is actually what I used to learn, way back in the day.

• 6 months later...

I have a question concerning the "combine plugins" feature. Once I've combined two files, is there any way to separate them?

Another question. I set up a quest where this greeting-

Oh, hello, stranger. Have you seen my ward about?

-links to the topic, "my ward". I added the condition "Talked to Player= 0" and now the link doesn't work. What happened?

Edited by Tigersong

• 4 months later...

Once they are combined, I don't think you can separate plugins. I think general practice is to load the ones you want to combine, but, don't set any of them as active, then when you save, the combined plugin is saved under a new name, and the components are left alone. I think.

I have no clue about dialog......

You guys must be getting tired of me by now. Anyway, I'm attempting to use "New Khajiit Bodies (Clean)" to spruce up my Dwarf Khajiits. When I tried to replace the meshes, I got a message saying it couldn't make the switch. What's wrong?

Have done some work towards creating a new file, by the way.

Edited by Tigersong

• 1 year later...

Check out my dialog tutorial for basic quest writing. Once you get the basics down, it should be pretty simple to make more complicated quests. The processes for writing simple fetch and retrieve quests are the same as for writing massive quests like defeating Dagoth Ur and even that quest was broken down into smaller parts. If you have any questions, let me know.