DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Chat vs Shout

DarkRider

17 members have voted

1. 1. What would be the ideal live convo feature for TESA?

• Chatbox all the way!
    • Shoutbox! Whoo!
    • Hmmm....BOTH!
    • Either or Neither, matters not to me!

Hail Allies!

Since the chat doesn't seem to be used with any frequency I have been considering dropping the chat feature and adding a shoutbox to the forum index. This is a poll to weigh which option would be best for our site according to all of you! So, add your votes!

What would be the ideal live convo feature for TESA?

I think chat is immensely helpful/useful when working out a problem with a helper or mentor.

I was really glad to see it implemented here. For that purpose alone it's nice even though when I stopped in there was nobody home.

The thing is you can agree to meet there ahead of time.

Which is something a close-knit forum (different hobby) I was on for many years used to do, we would schedule the chat in advance for a time when everyone could try to get together, and make it for two hours, because we had so many from the far reaches of the globe that Saturday afternoon was Sunday morning as well.

(When I originally joined that group it was early 97, and we really made use of new technologies as they would appear, they're all FBers now, so I still stay in touch though my interests changed.)

Well we have the beginnings of a shoutbox. :yes: Rider's internet connection crapped out while he was in the middle of installing it. LOL Sent me a text asking if the site was ok! I know the chatbox is up there, but I never seem to think of it when I'm surfing around the forums and chatting in the Lair. :yes: Gotta remember to stop in there once in a while.

Well we have the beginnings of a shoutbox. bb_lmao.gif Rider's internet connection crapped out while he was in the middle of installing it. LOL Sent me a text asking if the site was ok! I know the chatbox is up there, but I never seem to think of it when I'm surfing around the forums and chatting in the Lair. coffee.gif Gotta remember to stop in there once in a while.

:yes: no wonder that thing is so... messed up :yes:

Okay, shoutbox is now live and chatbox has gone away. The shoutbox on a site this active really becomes a chatroom, so it makes no sense to have both.

Now, shouting is not for everyone. If you do not want to be bothered by the shoutbox, you can click "My Prefs" and turn off the global box limiting it to just the shoutbox page.

The forum rules apply to the shoutbox, so observe them. No images much larger than an emote, and remember the box will be moderated. Have Fun! :eyeroll:

Also try to keep emotes down for people with lower net connections. *I am not one of them but I am sure some people have slower connections*

smilies are totally not a problem for dialup connections... they are under 1kb for the most part so don't get noticed as slowing it down (at least for me on my crummy dialup)

Pacifci Morrowind

smilies are totally not a problem for dialup connections... they are under 1kb for the most part so don't get noticed as slowing it down (at least for me on my crummy dialup)

Pacifci Morrowind

Well before someone did like 10 of them. So we could just call that spam. Maybe a newer set of rules special for chat can be added.

O and because of issues as of late my net connection will get down to 1mbps..so...eh..Verizon is evil

I wouldn't worry overmuch about people abusing the shout box with bad links or images. :rofl: We will simply ban them from use OF the shout box if they see fit to do so. :clap: Same rules apply to the shouty as with anywhere else on the forum, I would like to see images kept to threads however, as they load up the shouty and aren't really easy to see anyway. Seems little point in posting them there.