DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

9/11

Yevic

With Whoguru's blessing I decided to start this thread.

First off, no political debates or anything that'll get this thread locked.

This is for reflection, and remembering the tragedies of that fateful day.

it's hard to believe, that it's already been 8 years, so much has changed......

On September 11th 2001 I was in school, it was a normal day in the beginning of the school year, a completely ordinary day.

Then the teacher started acting nervous, we weren't told much, except that something bad had happened, we didn't really do anything in school, a few parents picked up their kids early, but otherwise a normal day.

Then I got home, my mom was watching the news, she told me it was just a building on fire, and it was nothing to worry about, then the second plane came......

My father came home early from work that day.

We sat in front of the tv together watching the events unfold, I was too young to grasp what was going on, the concept of "terrorism" was beyond my reach back then.

I remember wanting to watch cartoons....I just didn't get it, I still feel bad that I didn't get it, but it was just pure childhood innocence....yet I still feel bad :(

Feel free to share your memories :)

Remember those lost, and never forget.

Thanks for starting this Yevic. It should be talked about and never forgotten.

I was just having my first cup of coffee that morning and flipped the TV on shortly after the first plane hit. I remember sitting there in shock, my coffee going cold and then the horror that my friend worked in Tower 2 on the top floors. When it fell my chest hurt. I cried for days and kept going back to the news like I was hoping it was a bad dream. To be stuck this far away and not able to help even though there's nothing I could have done but my brain always thinks there should have been something.

Even when it was happening, and I'm an adult, it was hard to grasp the magnitude of what was happening and what would happen after. I still cry a bit this day every year, and think of my friend who had gone to NY to escape an abusive ex husband, was finally getting her life together and so excited to be working so high up where she could see the whole city spread out below her. :(

I never forget and just try to honor her memory by not hating and finding the better part of myself to go on with every day, like she did.

I remeber waking up in the morning and seeing it all over the TV, every channel on the TV and radio was talking about it. I was only in year 5 back then so i didnt understand it very well, but I still knew it was a big event.

Onething I didnt like was how for over 3 days, 24 hours a day the TV had nothing but repeats of the same footage over and over. That was a bit much, other things were happening in the world still.

It was hard, but it was almost inspiring how it brought people together.

Remember the American flags everywhere?

The yellow ribbons tied to trees?

After this event I saw what true heroes were, seeing the heroes who saved countless lives, people who perished going back into the towers to save more people.....it's inspiring

I was in school and our math teacher informed us that "an aircraft has crashed in a tower somewhere in the United States". Obviously, he didn't want to tell us much about it, he didn't want us to panic. When he said that, I only thought "Ah well, must have been an accident. I'll read about it in the newspaper tomorrow."

When I got home for lunch, my older brother decided not to attend university and watched the tv reports with my mother. I must admit that the day it happened, I didn't realize how truly bad it was. Only the day after I took conscience of the events, and how big it was for our southern neighbors.

That's how I react to most tragic events happening in my life or outside of my life. When people that I know die, it's only the day after that I realize it. It was the same thing 8 years ago.

I was at work. I was handling a tech support call and the lady on the phone told me, and we hung up, I ran upstairs where the tv was and as I walked in a couple other people had already gathered, and we watched in horror as the second tower was struck.

I had calls from people in China and Russia that day, just reaching to the one voice they knew in the United States to try to express their grief and sadness with us.

When I got home I watched throngs of dust covered New Yorkers walk quietly out of Manhattan, and I was never so stricken with pride and sadness at once. Even now it knots my stomach and can fill me with despair at the contrast of dignity and disgrace with which we have handled the remains of the day.

Having spent a long night at work, I had barely been asleep for two hours when my housemates rolled me out to tell me what happened. I was way too tired to understand what they said at first, but as I stumbled into the front room, there it was. Not 5 minutes later on live TV, the second plane hit and everyone was just stunned.

I remember the reporters were speculating about the first hit possibly being an accident, but the moment the second one struck the other tower, we all knew. They all knew. The reporters were floored and had no idea what to say or do, they just watched in horror along with the rest of us.

On that day, there were no politics, there was no backbiting, no sniping. Just people coming together in a way I'd never seen before in my entire life. I stayed out in the front room until I couldn't stay awake any longer.

Never Forget.

It was hard, but it was almost inspiring how it brought people together.

Remember the American flags everywhere?

The yellow ribbons tied to trees?

After this event I saw what true heroes were, seeing the heroes who saved countless lives, people who perished going back into the towers to save more people.....it's inspiring

When I got home I watched throngs of dust covered New Yorkers walk quietly out of Manhattan, and I was never so stricken with pride and sadness at once. Even now it knots my stomach and can fill me with despair at the contrast of dignity and disgrace with which we have handled the remains of the day.

On that day, there were no politics, there was no backbiting, no sniping. Just people coming together in a way I'd never seen before in my entire life.

Never Forget.

:( Those are the sentiments that should be remembered. That when it matters even the worst people can find the best of themselves. That day was both tragic and inspiring.

Never forget.

I was at work in a GM car dealership. I remember that day perfect, I was installing a hood (bug) deflector on GMC Yukon when they talked about the first hit. That day felt like slow motion. Everybody was shocked and there was a customer who took the day off to bring her SUV in. She was crying a lot and took lots of people to calm her down. She had lots friends of course that worked. Then after work, at Bergen County Park which is a hill in Garfield, NJ. I was able to still see smoke from NY, all I have to say is that day was (I can't explain), so I will never forget that day.

At the time I lived right under a flight path (near Vancouver... half-hourly flights), never watched tv really. but when there was no planes for over 3 hours I looked and saw the horror.

What most suprised me was the news anchors reactions - they were really shocked and horrified. Whereas as the even by the next day they were back on sensationalism = more viewers = money money.

Pacific Morrowind

I was 5, so I cant remember the event itself, but I know what happened with my family that day, I know I was playing with some toys on the floor at the time, my mother was watching Oprah, then it was interrupted for a news bulleten, she watched in horror as the reporters speculated about a plain had hit the World Trade Center, then the second plane hit, and she ran upstairs to wake my father, they both came downstairs, and just..........watched, hours on end, horrified, crying, stunned, shocked.....just completely over tooken with what happened, I could'nt understand, I watched a documentary about it a while ago, I only then understood how horrific it was for them. :(

I was 7 when it happened. I was in 3rd grade I think, and I came home all happy to find everyone gathered around the TV watching the news sadly, which confused me. My parents let me watch too, and when I saw the second tower fall (too late for the other), then it really hit me when I got thinking on how many people where in there. Then later in the day my sister tried to explain it was terrorists, so I pretty much knew how it happened from then on, but everytime I watch a documentary about it or something I'm still shocked, because everytime I come to a more understanding of the magnitude of it.

My US History teacher yesterday told us of a friend he used to teach with at another school. He decided to go into the secret service sometime before 2001, and he worked at one of the world trade buildings (not 1 or 2). But he actually ran into the towers to try to get people out when the planes hit. And he kept getting people out and going back in. Whenever debris would fall he would dive under a car or any cover. It totally amazed me, people usually run the other way when they see things like that. He ended up getting a medal, which apparently is somewhat rare for secret service agents. He came to speak at one of the schools around here not too long ago.

It was a very strange day for me. I know that I was at home earlier that day (near the place where I was back then a bomb was found, an old WW2 dud - not that uncommon in Europe), and watched TV.

As the first tower was hit pretty soon all networks reported it. I was shocked, for multiple reasons, though one reason is something I'm often despised for. I had hoped to be wrong, that (as was speculated back then) it was an accident. Though that sounded so wrong, so unbelieveable, and then the next plane crashed in.

On the one hand I was shocked about the tragedy. This man-made catastrophe.

On the other hand I feared the consequences it would have if it wouldn't have been an accident (which the second hit sadly proved). It was like seeing two trains running towards each other, an idea of things to come that wouldn't be pretty. As the second plane crashed in, I was expecting wars to come. And civil rights to go.

For me, if someone asks me to differentiate between the 20. and 21. century, the turning point wasn't a new years eve, but 9/11. It changed the world into a much darker place, and as I saw those reports I kind of already knew it. And that's another thing that shocked me back then. Not only the catastrophe itself, but also the consequences to arise from it.

I was still living at home with my father and brother. Almost exactly one year before, my mother passed away after being diagnosed with cancer, so at that time september already was a month of mixed emotions, as my brother's birthday is also in early september, which of course is a reason to celebrate.

I just got home from work when my father was watching CNN and the first tower had just been hit. For hours we kept following the events on several TV channels and those images are still very alive in my mind after all this time: the collapsing of the towers, the people covered in dust, people so desperate that rather jumped than being caught by the flames, the firemen going in and out and so many more. It was a day the world was shocked and many held their breath as we all knew the consequences very well: the US would retaliate in a way that would have a giant impact on global politics.

It also brought back memories about the plane that crashed into an appartment complex in a suburban area of Amsterdam on 4 october 1992. I heard the explosion from my bedroomwindow even though I was miles away. For those interrested here's some info on that disaster: link. I had some friends from school living in that area and I was reliefed they were unharmed.