DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

How do i go about making quest scripts

Epic

Hey guys i've been to the cs wiki and i was... less than satisfied with their definition of tutorial. They tried to cram like 50 things up in my head and 20 more things up my mouth when no more stuff would fit and it was just too confusing and i got lost really easily. so i was wondering if someone could give me a simplistic rundown of quest scripts and some suggestions on how i should go about making this quest which i will describe in the next paragraph.

Ok just 2 days ago i thought of making a Deathknight/Lich King character to work with and basically they are plate wearing, Enchanted blade wielding masters of the undead who can summon lesser undead minions (skeletons, zombies, ghosts and the like) and use spells to damage and absorb health. Just today however i thought of making a quest related to the deathknight class that plays out a bit like this.

1) exit sewers, get quest update saying "I have ordere a small army of undead to Fort Nikle where we will annihilate any resistance and establish a base of operations. I should head there as soon as I am ready."

2) You arrive at Fort Nikle and give you 1st Lieutenant, a necromancer, the order to send the army in to battle (I have turned the fort into an Imperial Legion stronghold to make the battle more fun)

3) After wiping out all resistance in the base the undead start taking up some strategic positions to prepare for the enemy's counter attack. You get the quest update "Our assault was successful but I fear the Imperials will soon counter attack. I most likely have about 5 minutes before they arrive"

4) After 5 minutes an assault by about 10 imperial legion soldiers lead by an imperial officer (a new type of enemy i will make)on the fort begins.

5) When victorious you get the quest update of "We are victorious. I will have my minions begin re furnishing this fort and it should be complete by the end of the week"

6) Wait one week and then the fort will be complete with appropriate furnishings. Get quest update "Fort Nikle has been re furnished and I should stop by and check in on it soon." End of quest

From what you've described you can do everything you want with almost no scripting whatsoever. A lot of first time questbuilders assume that quests are very script intensive. The reality is that in Oblivion questbuilding, there is an actual quest building tool that does things like updating quest stages and starting quests, ordering minions around, etc.

The classes you need to explore are Questbuilding and also NPCs,AI, and Pathgrids

Your shoutbox question

for these undead to be friendly to me do i need to make them player faction also or can i just make the PC part of the faction they're in

There are a number of ways to make them aggressive toward the soldiers without aggression toward the player. Best way would be to use Faction affiliations. You can give their faction a +100 bonus toward the player faction, which is the player's default faction. Then to ensure they will attack the Legion soldiers, give them a -100 disposition bonus toward the Legion faction. :pints:

Sounds cool. You may need to lower their aggression if they are just decoration to about 5 so they don't jump off the wall to fight. I believe they will fight without any AI packs. If they won't stay in place on the wall, use a subspace under Miscellaneous>Subspace to create a subspace on the wall and make the archers stay put. :pints:

DarkRider, what was that condition you told me about? it had something to do with the character needing to be in a certain cell like GetPCLocation or somethin like that? i'm not good at remember small things like that

Nope, you don't need that, that condition is for your NPCs so they won't move until the player enters the same cell.

When you say "On Exit the Sewers" Do you mean the char gen level at the beginning of the game? If so, what if the person playing your quest is not starting a new character so they are not leaving the sewers?

Nope, you don't need that, that condition is for your NPCs so they won't move until the player enters the same cell.

When you say "On Exit the Sewers" Do you mean the char gen level at the beginning of the game? If so, what if the person playing your quest is not starting a new character so they are not leaving the sewers?

well this was mostly just gonna be a small project for myself when i make my new deathknight character but if it turns into a really epic quest line i'll change some stuff to meet those requirements

Okay, well to get the quest to run at the end of the sewer you need to set your quest stages as 0, 5, 10, etc

Then your first journal entry will be on stage 0.

To get this to run only upon leaving the sewers, you will need to add a small quest script to your quest. This should do it.

scn aaEpicQuestNameSCRIPT

short doonce

begin gamemode

if doonce == 0 && getstage MQ01 == 100
setstage YourQuestName 0
set doonce to 1
endif

end[/code]

So in the CS click on the pencil icon to open the script editor, click Script>New Where it says script type, change that to quest. Then copy/paste the script I've added here into the box. You need to change "QuestName" and "YourQuestName" to the name of your quest. Then save.

Once saved, you can open the quest editor and add this script to the Quest Data screen of your quest.

If you want the specifics of the script explained just let me know.

You also might want to keep in mind the engine limits on max NPCs in a cell. In other words, don't put too many NPCs together in a small space. The fps will just drop to an unplayable level. I've found that if you keep under 20 a cell then it shouldn't be too bad.

I just wanted to let you know about this since you seemed to have planned a pretty large battle.

Also, creatures don't apply to this, they have less AI processing so you can have more of them, but again if you have loads it will still lag.

Good luck on your mod, you'll find a lot of helpful people here like DR to answer all of your questions, so keep at it!

now for the second stage of the quest. I set it using the GetIsID condition and set target to my scourge commander. then i gave him a new greeting, the option to choose "orders" in the list of dialogue and under orders i set the Choices to Yes and the commander gives a little preparation speech (and also has a result script of Setstage aaaEstablishingPresence 5), and No which simply has him say, we will wait for your command.

is that alright?

You do not want to put conditions like that on the quest stage tab if that's what you mean (that's how it sounds :D) Instead, add that condition to the lines of dialogue the commander will speak.

oh yea oops forgot to mention i have all that in the topics tab not the queststage

could someone please make a post explaining how to use travel AI packages? i read the pinned topic on it but that didn't really go into detail on the matter. After i know how to use these then i should be able to finish up my quest

Travel packages tell the NPC where their next destination is and they themselves workout how they will get there. But how they get there is based on a few of their AI settings. If you read the NPC, AI & Pathgrids forum and read all classes on AI you should get a better idea about this.

But for travel packages themselves, travel packages work like a lot of other packages and follow the same setup. The only differences are you set the package type to Travel and set a location to travel too.

I can explain in more detail in a workshop but it will take time to write up.

You just drop and XMarker (found under statics) in the place you want them to travel to. Then in your travel pack you choose the location as the cell where you placed the marker and the marker as the reference. When that travel pack is run, they will travel to that marker, they will automatically go through any doors between them and their destination. You can use conditions like quest stages to determine when they should go there. :D

You just drop and XMarker (found under statics) in the place you want them to travel to. Then in your travel pack you choose the location as the cell where you placed the marker and the marker as the reference. When that travel pack is run, they will travel to that marker, they will automatically go through any doors between them and their destination. You can use conditions like quest stages to determine when they should go there. :D

will they still auromatically use the door if it's a teleport door?

do i need to set the orders as a choice after the GREETING?

Your Yes and No topics should be listed in the Add Choices box of the greeting topic. To get a greeting to play you need to make sure the conditions are set right so the character has access to the line.

Take a screenshot of your quest topics tab so I can see what you're up to. :salute:

when doing the XMarker thing i set the XMarker's reference target to the door and the AI Package reference to the XMarker but all they do is run at the door they don't go through it. do i have to place the marker INSIDE the dungeon itsself?