DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

PC Maintenance.

HeyYou

I suspect MS is going to have to do something 'different' there.... as I have come across machines that simply won't boot, don't give you any options, and don't come with a real recovery "disk"...... so, basically, you have an expensive paper weight. You get to send it off for warranty work, provided it is still under warranty. In a corporate setting, I could see it, but, for the typical home user? Nope. Just unnecessarily complicates life.

HY, I saw the thumb drive they offer. Sounds like a very good tool. Probably wouldn`t use it enough to justify the cost though. I searched UELA and I can see where it`s be good for corporate, but maybe not so much for home. The wiki went into the advantages over BIOS , but from what you said...and what I read ... the advantages probably wouldn`t matter much to the home user ... as the industry stands to date.

• 2 weeks later...

I won't let Win8 come anywhere near my machines.. Win7 suits my needs and I don't need a touch screen to play with icons on my screen. Besides I like looking at my pretty pictures I have on my desktop without a ton of icons to block my view :)

You can do that under W8 too: no icons on my desktop. There are two things in W8: the "home" where there are tons of apps (that you can remove anyway) and the desktop. You can set W8 so that it automatically switches to the desktop at start, ignoring the "home". Anyway, at one point, everyone will have to use it. Don't be mistaken, if I could use Windows 7 on my current computer, I would.

As for Malewarebytes, I gave up using it. I use Windows Defender, that comes with W8, and that's it. I'm not downloading dubious stuff or visiting ****ty web sites, so I shouldn't get viruses that much.

You can do that under W8 too: no icons on my desktop. There are two things in W8: the "home" where there are tons of apps (that you can remove anyway) and the desktop. You can set W8 so that it automatically switches to the desktop at start, ignoring the "home". Anyway, at one point, everyone will have to use it. Don't be mistaken, if I could use Windows 7 on my current computer, I would.

As for Malewarebytes, I gave up using it. I use Windows Defender, that comes with W8, and that's it. I'm not downloading dubious stuff or visiting ****ty web sites, so I shouldn't get viruses that much.

Glad you like Win8.. You are more than welcome to use it. I  prefer to use what works for me and it might be win 9 or 10 before I upgrade. So 8 won't make it here .. :)

I am curious why you are forced to use win8. it's still an immature operating system, and everyone and their cousin still supports 7. So far as I know, the only win8 specific apps are those put out by MS, and they also have the 'old' alternatives a well.

Where did you take that I like W8? I don't and I hate to be forced to justify myself because people presume things about me.

Sorry, but I assummed you liked Win8 because you listed all these things that you consider positives.  And as HeyYou said; why are you forced to use Win8 on your computer? Only computers I know that have Win8 are tables and ones the prefabs stuck it on. And they can be easily resolved with a format and installation of Win 7... And if warranty is a problem you have your original backup OS disks that came with your system.

And as for presumming, your presumming that everyone will eventually have to use it was pointed out as inaccurate. The way they are turning their OS over every couple of years it'll easily be obsolete within a couple of cycles. Hopefully it goes the same way as Vista did.

Just my $.02 worth.

1) Windows 8 was installed in the computer when I bought it,

2) My Windows 7 discs allow only three installs, three activations, and they have all been used,

3) At least one of the components installed in my computer do not have drivers that are compatible with W7,

4) I don't see why I have to justify myself about that.

1) Windows 8 was installed in the computer when I bought it,

2) My Windows 7 discs allow only three installs, three activations, and they have all been used,

3) At least one of the components installed in my computer do not have drivers that are compatible with W7,

4) I don't see why I have to justify myself about that.

Justify yourself? It was a simple question on why you were REQUIRED to use Win8. The first three answered the question. The fourth was unnecessary. This isn't a personal attack, it is curiosity. Though I am somewhat surprised that there is hardware out there that doesn't support legacy operating systems. (at least, win7...... after all, the hardware manufacturers wanna sell to the widest audience possible, right?)

What I find amusing though is, a fair number of the 'big box' computer manufacturers are offering Win7 as an option to win8. :) Seems 'the latest and greatest' wasn't as great as MS had thought.

If you have the Win 7 disks and you no longer want to use the computer or you are selling it / throwing it away etc. Its pretty simple to reinstall and for activation you can try to do it automatically or if you have to call it asks you how many computers you have it installed on. When I'm trashing a computer, giving it away or selling it I keep my Windows Disk and tell the new owner they have to get their own. (I format all my drives to erase my personal information anyway - that effectively gives you back one of you lic) I'm not paying for the same thing over again. If it came installed on your computer (which I doubt because it's a home lic. for 3 computers) you should be able to use it on a new computer if you didn't give away a computer with one of your lic.

If your Win7 disks came from Dell or some other OEM, then the above scenario may change and be as you stated about not being able to use your disks.

• 6 months later...