DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Dungeoneering?

NellSpeed

My new little netbook will NOT handle Oblivion, but it looks as if it will run Morrowind acceptably well (I've already installed Daggerfall & a couple of my favorite old DOS games.). However, since my playtime will be limited to an hour here and there, I probably won't be doing a lot of plot-heavy gaming. Does Morrowind have the equivalent of Oblivion's Ayleid ruins & abandoned forts-- places where I can just duck in and run around for a little hack-and-slash?

Morrowind is my newly rediscovered addiction, NellSpeed. It's just....*dreamy sigh* awesome. However...while yes, there are many, many places to explore, whether that exploration will be a quick and fun gimme or a "hello re-load screen my old friend, I've come to talk with you again" kinda thing will depend on level, character build, luck and location- moreso, in my opinion, than is the case in "Oblivion".

Just my poorly caffeinated way of saying that level scaling is handled differently, so save often. :)

Morrowind is my newly rediscovered addiction, NellSpeed. It's just....*dreamy sigh* awesome. However...while yes, there are many, many places to explore, whether that exploration will be a quick and fun gimme or a "hello re-load screen my old friend, I've come to talk with you again" kinda thing will depend on level, character build, luck and location- moreso, in my opinion, than is the case in "Oblivion".

Just my poorly caffeinated way of saying that level scaling is handled differently, so save often. ;)

:) Oh is it ever handled differently. Here's a tip, stay out of Ald Sotha, the ruins just north of Vivec, until you've leveled up just a bit. :lmao: I wandered in there at level 1 and got owned just inside the door. :)

:) Oh is it ever handled differently. Here's a tip, stay out of Ald Sotha, the ruins just north of Vivec, until you've leveled up just a bit. :D I wandered in there at level 1 and got owned just inside the door. ;)

:lmao: Yup. Totally agree. MW loves to slap down high level dungeons right next to major towns, poo-pooing the old notion of "the closer it is to civilization, the safer it is".

Heck, I died in the bandit cave near Seyda Neen- that pesky mage got lucky with that "Firebite" spell- must have rolled the max possible damage. :) Anyway...

I`m just starting out in MW on the original X-Box, I played a fair bit on the PC version and remember some but the console version controls are taking me awhile to get used to. Yup I died in the cave near Seyda Neen too. For now it`s just harvesting,selling,repeat as necessary with the occasional mudcrab,squib,slaughterfish, battle. Seriously loving this. :yes:

Thanks to everyone for their input-- sounds like I'll have plenty to do! I've been downloading mods like crazy (as usual) and just generally poking around a little bit in the gameworld. I may end up COCing myself to locations, to save travel time... although then I'd be missing out on the gorgeous scenery. Hmmm....

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

In Morrowind you have the daedric, dwemer ruins, the velothi towers and a lot of bandit caves schattered across of the game world, but you also have 6th House bases to cleared out and the vampire lairs. Add to that you also have the dumner strongholds along with the ancestral tombs to explore and sometimes you'll never know what you may find in there.

Good advice about Ald Sotha! :) I got there at the beginning and saw scamp for the first time in life. I was like "hey there little fellow, what are you doing here?" then I found out that it was evil and it killed me.

Somehow, that left a subconscious mark on me and I avoided Daedric ruins in a wide arc for quite some time and I was never comfortable there. :)