DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Custom Soundtracks

Rowan

It is said that sound and music is half a movie. Since gaming is a very similar medium, does this not also apply? After all the only two senses that we can use to perceive the world in the game currently are visual and auditory. It seems to me that if one wants to create a unique experience - there should also be a unique soundtrack. The Lost Spires used some new custom music, but in my opinion it could have been improved.

Anyway, I just want to hear your opinion about this. Do you think creating new music (to be played in specific locations or during specific events) to go with your mod is a good idea? Would it be in bad taste to use something like heavy metal or rock?

I realize that distributing copyrighted music in this way would be illegal, which means the modding community might be in need of some musicians and singers!

But maybe there is a way to around the copyright law? What if you could only listen to the music within the game, and was not accessible outside of the game? And why doesn't uploading music on YouTube break those laws?

Just thinking out loud. laugh.gif

Interesting questions Rowan. Lately I`ve become interested in creating f/x sounds and ambients for mods. Since I`ve loaded Audacity and found that it`s all very doable, ideas just keep comming.

As to the BG music, I really like the vanilla tracks myself. Each to their own,eh?

Uploading music on YouTube DOES break those laws, but it takes time for YouTube's copyright filter to catch the vids with copywrited music. There's no way to add a piece of copywritten music in game without it being accessible outside the game because no matter what you do, we have the tools to disassemble a mod. To get around that issue some modders use free source sounds/songs that are open for distribution, others do compose and perform their own music. It would likely be possible to recruit a composer for your project, same as recruiting a modeler or voice actor, but in the end you have to evaluate if the payoff is greater than the hassle that would be. :D

Yeah, it could end up being a lot of extra work to make custom music - especially when you can just play whatever music you want for own personal experience. I just don't really see the vanilla music complementing the Dark Spire adequately.

Good sounds effects are a must though, I think.

• 2 weeks later...

Another way to "bypass" the copyrights law is to remix the music yourself.

It is something completely legal. As long as your remix is not exactly like the original.

For example, for my Better Inns module of Oblivifall, I took tavern musics from Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate and other games. If I had taken them alone without modifications, I could not have done them.

So, instead, I've decided to create a sound ambiance around the songs, so that you really believe you are in a full tavern. Link

That way, someone who wanted to use the music and rip it from my mod can't do it, because the sound effects come with it and can't be removed.

Other ways of mixing, is doing the same thing that Skydye did for his musical compilation packs for Morrowind. He took many tracks and songs from games & movies, and made one large music file with it, mix and matching them.

Concerning sound effects, it's a must! :P

I found out that in Oblivion and Morrowind, there are barely atmospherical sound effects, and it kills the atmosphere for me. There should always be a sound playing in the background, may it be a low frequency "hum" sound, or ambiant sound effects such as people talking/walking/doing things.

In "the real world", when you turn off all music, you always hear a little something. In Oblivion, if you turn off the music and you are inside a place, you'll most likely hear nothing at all. Not even a low-frequency sound. And that kills it for me.

All of this being said, if you ever need someone to create sound ambiances for you, I can do it. It's one of the things I do as a job and I'm always glad to use my little studio for it. XD

That was an extremely informative post Cliffworms. Thanks! Exactly what I hoped to get from posting this topic - even though I wasn't really sure of what I was trying to ask at the time. :rolleyes: I didn't realize that just remixing music bypasses copyright laws (but I guess it's obvious, with all the remixed stuff around these days).

Yes, I agree. Oblivion sorely lacks on the ambiance.

If I ever need custom ambiance or remixes, I will come to you. And I know I will at some point. :lmao: Probably soon!

What software do you use to do the remixes?

That was an extremely informative post Cliffworms. Thanks! Exactly what I hoped to get from posting this topic - even though I wasn't really sure of what I was trying to ask at the time. XD I didn't realize that just remixing music bypasses copyright laws (but I guess it's obvious, with all the remixed stuff around these days).

Yes, I agree. Oblivion sorely lacks on the ambiance.

If I ever need custom ambiance or remixes, I will come to you. And I know I will at some point. :unsure: Probably soon!

What software do you use to do the remixes?

You're welcome Rowan! XD

I use Sony Vegas for doing remixes and creating sound ambiance. It's not the best software on the market (Best being Nuendo and QBase), but it serves my needs perfectly!