DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

CS Basics: General Questions

DarkRider

Ok Rider, I want to build for release. I have a property in existance that will need some rework and cleaning (using the things I have learned in the lessons)such as assigning IDs to all the various parts.The basic build is in place and alot of ext.work. May I use this or would you rather I build all new?

You'll have to build new for the final exam, even if you're releasing. Otherwise anyone can just dust off the old house mod and get the medal, it wouldn't be fair to those students who do the work. :blink:

Understood, no problem, might take me longer is all, I want it to be nice.

Ok, I found the absolute perfect spot and began cleaning up rocks,cypress knees and such but,my ? is this, how about larger items like really big trees.There`s one right in the pool where my house/docks/bridge is going,cam safely delete it.There`s really no room to move it as the banks are wooded already.It`s just the one so far but I don`t want to upset any balance or anything else that might cause trouble in game.

Next? is can I use the name I used in the lessons,"TooFarHome",or would you prefer a new name,such as "SwampWoodKollopFarm"...?

Next? is,because of the area it looks like I may extend into adjacent cells,will this cause any game play issues.I know it`ll show up when I clean in the gecko but if I keep good notes or name these cells I can leave them alone during the cleanup?

It's always best to move trees when you can but it won't hurt anything to delete the tree if needed. You can use whatever name you'd like for your mod. And if you extend into adjacent cells it's best to claim those cells by renaming them too such as MyCell01, MyCell02, MyCell03, etc. That way you know with certainty that they are yours. The only catch is already named cells; you can rename them if they are called wilderness, but if the cell is already named, don't change the name, just make note of it so you know you changed it on purpose.

It's always best to move trees when you can but it won't hurt anything to delete the tree if needed. You can use whatever name you'd like for your mod. And if you extend into adjacent cells it's best to claim those cells by renaming them too such as MyCell01, MyCell02, MyCell03, etc. That way you know with certainty that they are yours. The only catch is already named cells; you can rename them if they are called wilderness, but if the cell is already named, don't change the name, just make note of it so you know you changed it on purpose.

Coolcool Rider, thank you. I`m totally surrounded by wilderness and I appreciate the MyCell01-02-03 idea.I`ll do that right away so I don`t forget or lose track.I like the idea of a kollop farm for an argonian based char.It`ll be interesting to watch how this forms up. Again, thank you very much. :D

Okay here`s a question, do you see any problems with snapping the ledges by giving each successiv piece a unique ID in the edit base box. It works really well and I don`t lose the piece to grid 0,0.

after I give the ID, then I go into the file>preferances snap to grid referance and highlight the one I want to "snap to"(the last piece placed properly).

The problem is that it creates an unnecessary overuse of persistent references, which the game has to keep track of by definition. To snap to grid in the exterior, just place your first piece using the snap to grid in the render window and add each piece, dragging them into place. When they're all connected just move them as a unit into the proper spot on your landscape. No references needed. :woohoo:

The problem is that it creates an unnecessary overuse of persistent references, which the game has to keep track of by definition. To snap to grid in the exterior, just place your first piece using the snap to grid in the render window and add each piece, dragging them into place. When they're all connected just move them as a unit into the proper spot on your landscape. No references needed. :woohoo:

I see, the only problem is that I never know just which piece`ll work just right till it`s placed. Can I uncheck the persistant ref box?Well I`ll try your method and see if I can make it work for me. Thank you Rider.

Yes you can uncheck the ref box. You can try different pieces until you find the ones you need, that won't effect the grid any. I like to build a rough seam filled version just to decide what pieces I need, then I build the pieces on grid and shift/rotate them into place once they're all connected on grid. :woohoo:

Yes you can uncheck the ref box. You can try different pieces until you find the ones you need, that won't effect the grid any. I like to build a rough seam filled version just to decide what pieces I need, then I build the pieces on grid and shift/rotate them into place once they're all connected on grid. :thumbup:

I see how that would work, thanks, with my memory for detail, I`ll be filling a book with notes on what works, where. :woohoo:

Ok Rider, I took a trip through Gecko to see what was what and found mostly everything ok. My question is this, In the shots you can see there`s alot of Refr.record entries yellowed under visible distant children, and temporary children,Is it safe to delete them?

Question next,if I come across a cell referance yellowed out that containsa vanilla property, I.E.an Oblivion gate or a fort,is it safe to delete? In th shot you can see that the vanilla house ref. is yellowed and the version I altered and used is not,Will it effect my actual in game house if I delete this referance to the vanilla root?

I suspect that I`ll be ok as none of there yellowed entries contain data tied to my project and only were effected in passing, so ok to delete, but there`s alot of time and effort in this and I`d rather ask a question that make a bad mistake.

Thank You Rider and HAPPY YOO NEAR...um...ok.bye

Geckodeletequestion1.pngGeckodeletequestion2.png

Oops, I forgot one more. I can`t seem to get rid if the grasses growing up through my ledges and house entry porch areas.The main grass ref. in the terrain grid info box are all at the top of the list and I`ve taken your advise and not touched these entries to avoid the dreaded black screen of death.I`ve piled on cobblestones trying to bury them but no soap.I`ve tried mud,sand,and logs(just as an experiment) and,again, no soap.I`m hoping there`s a way I haven`t tried yet outside of reelevating the house exterior above the grasses and raising the surroundings to bury the grasses. They`re in my garden too and it looks bad that the grasses are blowing in the wind but the bushes and flowers stand stock still.These are my final hurdles, everything else is ready to go.Thanks again Rider.

hey don I had this same problem. I fixed it by going over the spot heavily with the "no grass" version of the main texture in the area that your working on...

Hey cool Beana,I used cobblestones instead and lowered the terrain as much as possible under the architecture and got most of the grass hidden.I hope to release soon as I clean up and you can see it yourself.:dizzy:

By the way,sweet sig. IS sure does alot of cool things,eh?

Hey Don, you don't need to worry about all those child refs and subrecords, those are just made when you edit something, just delete the parent refs (top) and the other stuff below it will go away. You're not deleting things from the game, you are deleting references from your mod only, so it doesn't matter if the ref you're ignoring is an OB Gate or the White Tower, You want to ignore anything that is altered in your mod but is not SUPPOSED to be. When you ignore it and load the mod in game, the vanilla game will fill in the blanks. :dizzy:

Whew! Thanks Rider,that`s kinda what I thought but as I said I`d rather ask the ??s.I can`t wait to up this, nothing earth shaking just a nice remote base of opps for an exploring player.Oh yeah, about a boat load of screens in the thread to illustrate the presance of your requirements. :dizzy: Thanks again.

Um,ok I cleaned my mod and when I went in game found the terrain under the house and ledges reverted to its vanilla state leaving most of the house and ledges floating.

My question is,what could I have unknowingly deleted to cause this?I left all my claimed cells alone.I didn`t chase down all the children or pgrd referances.

I reloaded my backup and named it back to High Rock and everythings back to normal the way I left it before cleaning and zipping,so I can take another stab at it.

Sounds like you have altered cells you didn't name and then deleted them in cleaning. Have another try and this time clean a little, save, and test then repeat until you've gotten rid of what you don't need. :dizzy:

Thanks Rider,This could take awhile.I`ve also gone through the CS and wrote down all the grids with an asterisk and viewed them to see where they were but that snowballed on me pretty quick.Had to make the notes without actually opening the cell.I think I`m getting a little crazy here.Maybe one more time then leave it till next year,heheh.