DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

CS Basics: General Questions

DarkRider

Have a couple of questions regarding the final that were not addressed in the lesson plan.

If you are doing a release project are you allowed to use premade basements, dungeons, that are part of the vanilla OB? Ex. Skingrad Fighter's guide basement. I think there's one. or the baseent style of any house that might be available. Or - do you have to construct your own?

During the lessons DR you said that if I were to release I would have to include that SI is needed. Is that even if I don't use any SI objects?

Is there a time frame for this?

For the non released final, the sell we're supposed to use as our central cell is already renamed because of my landscaping ordeal. If I choose to go that route am I able to leave the named cell as it is and use it for the final?

Have a couple of questions regarding the final that were not addressed in the lesson plan.

If you are doing a release project are you allowed to use premade basements, dungeons, that are part of the vanilla OB? Ex. Skingrad Fighter's guide basement. I think there's one. or the baseent style of any house that might be available. Or - do you have to construct your own?

You just need to have abasement, you can use whatever style you like, one that is constriucted or that you piece together, either is fine. :P

During the lessons DR you said that if I were to release I would have to include that SI is needed. Is that even if I don't use any SI objects?

What I said was IF you use SI objects, even one thing, you will have to make sure SI is required. So no, if you don;'t use anything from SI that's not required. However, you need to know, there are a number of things like white torches, some rocks, and some dungeon type objects for example that are replaced in the vanilla BSA when you install SI. So if you have SI installed you must be very careful not to use anything SI has changed either or they will appear as Missing Meshes for non SI players. :)

Is there a time frame for this?

Nope no time frame, but you must endeavor not to plan out a project so large that you can't complete it in a reasonable time frame. Anything more than a few weeks is probably too much. Keep it simple. Once you've released and graduated you can mod whatever you like. :D

For the non released final, the sell we're supposed to use as our central cell is already renamed because of my landscaping ordeal. If I choose to go that route am I able to leave the named cell as it is and use it for the final?

Yes, if you've already named that cell that's fine you can still build there. :D

Probably already know the answer to this question but figured it was worth a try anyway. I'm doing a release mod and its a WIP right now. Interior is complete, basement is 90% constructed (minor set back with a conflicting texture from another mod, won't take much to revise that particular section) and needs to be cluttered. Landscaping has turned into a MAJOR project here and I'd say it's almost 90% done.

My question is - I am not doing so well with blending ground cover and have too much work invested at this point to take a chance on black texture screens again. Are we allowed to have someone help? I'd like to have everything set up and done and have someone that is proficient with landscaping put the final touches on it. I would OF COURSE give credit for the work to the person in my release.

PS.. By final touches I' referring to blending in the cell edges with the surrounding cells.

I'm figuring I have about a week unless this weekend is really productive.

Nope, sorry Arion. If this was a class in the real world, help on the final would be considered cheating. This is however an open book exam. If you specify the issue you're having landscaping I may be able to offer you more guidance. The point of the class is to learn how to do this yourself; kind of misses the point if someone else does the work for you. :)

Kind of what I thought myself. :)

I'll let you know when I get closer to it. I might be able to figure this out. I'm re-laying ground cover now and I'll take my time getting there. I basically wound up stripping all the texture out of 2 cells and rebuilding from the ground up.(And trying to stay within the constraints of the number of textures) Think I have 1 cell thought out since it was basically a mountain and I cut out a chunk. Can use a rock texture for sheer cliffs. I'll worry about the other when I get there.

Main thing I am concerned about is time. I could throw together the non release final relatively quickly considering what I've spent in the release version and I'd rather take my time and get this right. If you need progress reports so that you know I'm working on it diligently , that can be arranged.

There's no rush, but don't let your project drag on for months. You should keep it relatively focused within the scope of the final so it doesn't grow too big to be finished in a few weeks max. :D

Not looking at months. Two weeks at the most right now. I've tackled the two hardest parts on the landscaping at cell edges now; the rest of it should be a breeze compared to what I managed today. Started cluttering the exterior as well. There's still one more construction project left for the exterior after that and then its on to cluttering the basement.

Do you give constructive critisism at the last stage before its released as final? :)

DR I've hit a brick wall and need some help. I'm working in my basement and adding a trapdoor. When I add the wall everything is okay, but when I add the actual door for it I get 3 error messsages. The first one is http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&img=3808

I thought this file was modified by another mod and I've been trying to track it down. However, I think its a bug in OB itself. The door is used in Rtbdungeon Interior based on the user info for Ungrdtraphingedoor in the door portion of WorldObjects. I've done this on the main system that I have been building my mod file with and I also have a clean install of Oblivion GTY edition with TES Construction set (NO MODS ever installed)and I get the same error on both. If I load it in my mod I get the errors I showed. If I only load OB and go to Rtbdungeon I get the same errors on both computers as I do when I try to install the door in my mod.

I have 2 questions - if I continue to use the door is there a problem? And could you verify if you have the same behavior?

Not sure if I am confused, or what. I have Oblivion, shivering isles, and kotn installed, and a fair few mods, and several of the dlc.

Loading up JUST oblivion.esm, I do not have the Rtbdungeon door you speak of. Is this a resource you are trying to use?

@HeyYou- Rtbdungeon is an interior. The door in question is Ungrdtraphingedoor XD

@Arion- Yes, this is a vanilla warning message, several models in vanilla Oblivion will result in a similar message it doesn't mean you can't use it. It won't hurt anything. That being said, I've had trouble getting that particular door to function as a secret door, so it may not work as you would like it to. It appears the only uses in game are test dungeons and even then the door is cracked open and not actually a functioning door. I suspect it's dev junk, something that wasn't finished. :eyeroll:

@HeyYou- Rtbdungeon is an interior. The door in question is Ungrdtraphingedoor XD

@Arion- Yes, this is a vanilla warning message, several models in vanilla Oblivion will result in a similar message it doesn't mean you can't use it. It won't hurt anything. That being said, I've had trouble getting that particular door to function as a secret door, so it may not work as you would like it to. It appears the only uses in game are test dungeons and even then the door is cracked open and not actually a functioning door. I suspect it's dev junk, something that wasn't finished. :eyeroll:

Thanks for the reply. I was fighting with this before when I was constructing the basement and is why I backed off and started the exterior cells. I noticed the door was cracked open in roberts and thought I'd even take a shortcut and copy render and paste render in my interior as it is. that worked fine but still gave the errors. I guess I could use it as a fake door and have it left open, but htat really would defeat the reason I wanted it int he first place. Only other one I've seen is the lewiwin door and it uses the castle trap door. I don't think I want to rebuilt the entire basement just to use it will just make a standard basement instead.

• 2 months later...

Some PC safe containers still have leveled lists in them, so when you open them the first time it's a dice roll you can get something different every time. If you save after opening (which you should not do in tests because you can create dirty saves if you change stuff) the items should remain the same the next time you visit from that save. But if you never save forward, it's going to change if it has a leveled list in there.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm encountering some problem in CS - it was present in both Oblivion CS and Morrowind CS, from my oldest times with this program and in any computer. It interests me does this problem is only mine, or maybe also the others are encountering it.

When I open new windows in CS many times in one session - like in situations when I'm changing the stats or names of many items/spells/creatures - then after some time of doing it, CS suddenly refuses to open any new windows. I just click on the position from the list and nothing happens. It can be fixed only by re-opening the program.

Do you know this problem? :yes:

I've always been able to fix that problem Zu by closing a window that I forget is open because it's hidden by others. But you say you're sure there are no others open. Are you in the cell view window or the items window when this happens?

Also, if you have more than one monitor, could the window be opening on another monitor? Gimp did that to me once. Drove me crazy!

I have never had that problem, and I have opend many, many windows. But, I also make sure I close each one before opening another set.

I usually only have 3 or 4 open at a time, maximum, before I start closing them.

I have heard of people having this problem. I just figured its the way you work in the CS that might sometimes make a window 'disappear' even though its still there. I have had windows disappear on me, but they usually come back when I click on another window.

One tip. make your object window and render window smaller than the screen, and leave a 'gutter' of nothing between them. When you open your object properties windows, MAKE SURE that new window is 'visible' in the gutter between the object and render window. Its very easy to 'loose' a window 'behind' one of those windows if you activate that window.