DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

CS Basics: General Questions

DarkRider

One tip. make your object window and render window smaller than the screen, and leave a 'gutter' of nothing between them. When you open your object properties windows, MAKE SURE that new window is 'visible' in the gutter between the object and render window. Its very easy to 'loose' a window 'behind' one of those windows if you activate that window.

Okay, I'll try it, although I don't think that's the problem of not closed, missed windows. I'll inform you later does it helps or not. :yes:

One thing you can do when this happens is save. If you have a window open, the CS will bring it to the front to be closed before you can save. If it saves without bringing a box forward, the issue is not related to an open window. This will not work if you altered the CS ini to allow unsafe saves though.

Missing windows and not being able to open windows can also be caused by:

1) Opening too many windows too quickly for your computer's memory to keep up with. If that is the case here, slow down and make sure you remain mindful of your windows and your computer's limitations. Close windows you are finished with as soon as you finish and let the system breathe before opening the next window. CS performance is dependent on your rig specs.

2) Wearing out the CS: Having the CS open for hours on end, even if it's just running in the background can wear the whole system down and causes an array of weird oddities. Turn it off and let it rest once in awhile.

That's all I know on the subject, hope you get it sorted. :yes:

1) Opening too many windows too quickly for your computer's memory to keep up with.

This can be the source of the problem, since the issue seems to occur regardless of how long CS was opened, if I opened and closed many windows in a short time (which can be about half-hour in the most window-after-window situation). Well, now at least I know what causes it. Thank you. :yes:

• 2 weeks later...

I think I've got into the trouble with my mod...

I've been trying to do some fixes in quest of Vitharn Ghosts by editing scripts and NPCs. But because the game has been stubbornly refusing to work after my many tries, I've decided to scrap some of the changes made for those NPCs and scripts. But it seems that the game has disliked that idea either. I've tried to delete objects through the Details option in File/Data, as it usually worked fine, but this time it hasn't worked completely. The game has somehow "hard-coded" some of the objects/changes to the some NPCs, resulting in creating duplicate IDs of them and leaving original IDs unchanged. Any other deleting in Details doesn't help here.

What can I do with that? Except turning back to the last working version.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, i have two problems with the files I created for the intro class which i would like to keep.

Somehow i ended up with a post inside the first house, probably from conscturcion next door. It shows up in the game but not in the viewing window in CS. btw, i dont understand the differnce beteen the cell window and the render window? anyway, i tried going UNDer the house in the cell view but cant see it insdie the house because it is inside. It wont who up in the interior cell view because it is outside.... so i cant delete it, i COULD delete all the posts in th elist of reseources but there are a lot fo them.

next.

i created a new esp for the new house but thought i needed to have the original one loaded up at the same time as the new one...so there are some shared resources between them. If i activate both of them, Alma House and Maras Haven, then i get everything ..both houses and the landscaping. But, here is the problem. I created a new basemnt for the new house. But somehow, i thnk due to a crash, i ended up wiht fragmentary saves of both the new house, whcih has some of the interior but not all of it, and the new basement, one has all of it and one has only the stair and the first passage..... and a fragment of the trapdoor only that is the link down to the basement.

I tried to delete that fragment but CS wont let me. I tried to delete the fragments of the house inteior and the bsement interior but CS wont let me and re creates them when i fire the CS up again

I treid to rename them both, to DELETE ME as you suggested i do when i ended up with this for the firt house but i dont remember the right naming for the DELETE ME part and CS wont delete them and says i cant with an erro mesage ...

so i cant create a working link to the full new basement...how can i reach it ?

I would like to end up with a clean and whole file for the two houses..but at this point, am puzzled about what is going on.

this is the list of files currently in the CS

so i dont understand the diffence between the ID files, the esp files and the Int and Ext files...or maybe they are all the same. I need to understand files structure so i can get this right for future projects.

I think where i may have created a problem is here:

i had the orignal esp for the first house and used two additonal cells. One of those additoianl cells was where we had to make the new non release house.

I renamed that additional cell for the new project. But i also kept the orignal esp active all the time i worked on the new one so thay are linked i think.

Somehow now, maybe becasue a script for the door was active when i was working on the new house, i cant rename and linke the FULL house interior to the basment. I need to study the naming part of thigns..i found your post that said:

Renaming Editor IDs can be problematic if there are scripts that refer to that interior, but since you do not have any scripts referencing your interior at this early stage, you have nothing to worry about.

My .esp is called BogwaterDowns.esp

My Editor ID is aaDRTutorialHouseInt

And My Cell Name is Bogwater Burrow

It's important that you can tell the difference

so i think i am confusing Editor ID, Cell Name and Esp name. And the save process got confused.

Edited by CrisG9

An Editor ID is how the editor (CS) identifies the object, like a catalog name.

A Cell Name, is the name you give a cell that will appear in game as in "Door to Bogwater Burrow".

A .esp is an Elder Scrolls Plugin, or a mod.

Your issues cropped up because you should have built the second house in the same .esp file as your tutorial house, not a new one, which would have eliminated all the issues caused by making your new .esp dependant on the first then merging them to create duplicate refs.

These are some serious issues you've described. Please send me all of your files via PM so I can see them first hand and I will be able to advise you better so these can be avoided in the future. Specifically what I need to help you is your tutorial mod you made in class BEFORE you merged in your final. And the final mod BEFORE you merged them together. If you don't have those send me what you do have. :)

Yes thank you so much. I have tried very hard to figure this out on my own and have hit the wall... :cookie:

First House Mod - Zipped and sent...have a clean copy

Second House Mod - i merged them from the start as i thought we had to start a new one for the new project AND have the orignal loaded and active too. So i kept them both checked along with the Oblivon esp all the time i was working on the new one. Zipped and sent the two final files that work for both houses.

>>>>>> Strange things happening: CS wont let me delete the duplicats. It is also not letting me link the second house to the second basment. It refuses to allow that, instead it adds the link and any new trapdoor i try to create to the first house. And it tried to change the interior of the first house by cramming in some of the interior from the second hosue. I surrender. and thank you deeply for any advice. Three times i have pushed the CS to the point after deleting duplicate after dupilcate it just erased all my work completely. Luckily i have kept back ups because it just is not letting me proceed.

Edited by CrisG9

• 2 weeks later...

I have one more question about worldspaces. I have a worldspace that is a child for SEWorld. It doesn't have marked "Can't fast travel from here", and still it's not possible to travel from there. The only marked option is "No LOD Water", marked to decrease possible slowdowns with FPS (at least as far as I understand this option correctly, after reading about it on CSWiki). Do you have an idea what can cause this issue?

Do you have map markers in your new worldspace? If not you may want to add one and see if that changes things. There shouldn't be anything stopping you from traveling to the parent worldspace unless you haven't progressed through the SI main quest, because I think fast travel is disabled at first so you are forced to walk through the isle. :)

That is an odd one Zu, perhaps reposting the issue in the Study Hall someone else will have a guess. Must be something about SI but I'm not certain what. Make sure when you repost, you include all the notes about what you have done such as the new space being a child to SI and adding the mapmarkers. :wave:

My next question should be simple.

I have a custom sound that should be heard by "playsound3D" script function from some activator. And now what I must set to actually HEAR this damn sound? :D Whatever vanilla sound I'll use as a base for my sound is either too quiet or totally mute in-game.

If it's a vanilla sound it should be formatted to play properly in game, so if it's quiet, you need to make sure your audio settings allow general sounds to heard prominently over music and other game noise. :rolleyes:

For custom sound you need to make sure they are saved with the proper format for Oblivion:

Frequency: 44100 Hz

Bit Rate: 64 kbps cbr (constant bit rate)

Channels: mono

Also, though wavs play, MP2s take up less space in your data folder. :)