DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

CS Basics: General Questions

DarkRider

CS Basics: General Questions

questions.jpg

As you make your way through the construction set classes you may have some questions about what's being presented that need answering. Post your questions here and the Scholar will answer as soon as possible to get you back on track.

Have questions not related to the CS Basics course? Post a new topic in the Construction Set forum for the Scholar to answer.

Scholar offline? Post a thread in the Study Hall for some peer to peer support! :cookie4u:

• Upvote 1

You should delete things in the Render Window, not the cell view window. If the books remains, save, and close the CS. Then reload. The book should be gone. On occasion the CS will hold onto things we'd like to delete, in this case I think it's because you deleted from the cell view window. Try what I've suggested and see if that helps. :thumbsup:

[EDIT] The other possibility is that you have the book's reference box open and it's hiding behind your render window. Just scoot your render window to see it there's a reference box there. You'll have to close it to delete the book or save.

Renaming your .esp is fine, you can do it anytime just by rightclick>rename in your data folder. The only thing it will affect is that you will have to reactivate it in your load order and any save you had there won't be recognized, so you'll need a save from BEFORE you loaded your .esp with the old name the first time.

You can rename your interior cell editor ID, by left clicking the editor ID once in the cell view window which will make a cursor appear, just type in what you like.

If you want to change the cell name that appears in game, rightclick>Edit on your interior cell in the cell view window and change the name on the interior data tab.

Renaming Editor IDs can be problematic if there are scripts that refer to that interior, but since you do not have any scripts referencing your interior at this early stage, you have nothing to worry about.

My .esp is called BogwaterDowns.esp

My Editor ID is aaDRTutorialHouseInt

And My Cell Name is Bogwater Burrow

It's important that you can tell the difference. :D

Well the error says that there's no cell by that ID, so did you activate your mod first?

Yup,and check it every time going in,by the way I haven`t made any game saves at all when going in to check.I`m spawning outside and only take a step or two before trying the console.That`s what I mean...dunno.

Getting time for me to go.I can`t believe how fast this day went.1/2 hour ago it was 0600, now its 1700, :D,I`ll kick around for a few then go.Tomorrow`s another day.

Weird, perhaps something is conflicting with your ability to use the console. :D

I just went in and used TCL to see if the int was hidden and it worked but no int. Yeah weird. I`ll tackle it in the morning. Oh, and I changed the .esp to aaDonDRtutHouse.esp, that`s pretty simple. the editor ID`s aaDonTutHouseInt.So no confusion there. :yes:

• Upvote 1

I have a little bit of a problem here concerning texturing the landscape.I`m trying to lay down a cobblestone path,I have the correct texture selected but whenever I paint the texture it just comes out a muddy brown similar to the original surrounding texture.I have done this before with no problems so I dont know what gone wrong this time.

Before

After

Anyone got any ideas ?

Also I have no thumbnails of any textures apart from those associated with SI,I have QTP3 installed,could this be causing me problems ?

I don't think the AWOL preview icons will cause any issues, nor QTP3 that I've heard of.

There are limits on the number of textures a cell can hold, the exact number is 9. With your edit radius over the spot you wish to texture, tap the i key for more INFO on the textures in that cell. A window will open with four panes.

A1.jpg

Each cell is divided into 4 quads and this window shows you the textures in a single cell divided by quad. When you experience what you have described the odd are that that quad is full or near full and the texture it will present (the mud texture) is the dominant texture. The dominant texture is at the top of the list in each quad and has the highest percentage.

You never ever EVER want to delete or replace the top texture is any quad, because you will incur the wrath of the black texture bug, where the whole cell turns black.

:D Smarty Says: If you experience the black texture bug, close the CS without saving and reload. You will lose a bit of work sadly, but if you save, your mod will be unrecoverable because the black texture bug cannot be fixed in the majority of cases.

So, what can be done about this full quad of textures?

Right click on the texture lowest in the full quad texture list and delete one.

A2.jpg

Right away you should see the texture on the terrain change to reflect the change. You should then be able to paint on whatever texture you'd like. If not you may need to delete one more from the bottom of the list.Some quads across Tamriel are full of textures and you will encounter little trouble like this from time to time. They are almost always due to a full quad of textures.

:yes: Smarty Says: Always save before you delete any textures just in case you effect a change you don't want. Sometimes when you delete a texture the whole cell will change to one texture. If that texture is not black, save and reload to reset the cell so it renders properly. This little hiccup will not appear in game.

Rider...The example: CommonLightOrange128 that you gave in lesson 1.. does that work with any kind of indoor light? Do the numbers have a specific meaning? I used CommonLightOrange128 to light my candleabra...HERE. Is that light going to suffice for the amount of candles? I have not seen this in game so I guess I'm just wondering.

and if im totally off with my whole understanding of lighting and light object.. please set me straight lol.. I'm more interested in the small details of things then the greater concept of it all... :thumbup:

edit.. fixed link..

Remember your light radiuses? (L key)

The numbers, in this case 128, represent the radius of the light, so how far it extends from the center. Imagine your light object (light bulb) is the center of a circle and the radius is the circle around it. The higher the number the bigger the radius.

A4.jpg

The bigger the radius, the farther out the light reaches. In this image you can see the 2 different light objects. The one on the left has a 64 degree radius and the one of the right has a 128 radius:

A3.jpg

When dealing with lights you need to test what works best. If the interior is small like our swamp house you'll want to use light objects around 64-256 but in big spaces like castles, you'll need bigger lights 512+. :thumbup:

There are two kinds of lights really in Oblivion. There are those that are light objects (look like light bulbs) and those that are illuminated statics (looks like lamps, fires, etc) both can be found under Light.

I prefer to use static lamps and fires then add light objects to make them glow because they seem to be easier on frame rates and allows me to control how the light radius hits the surrounding surfaces. The candelabra will not have any impact based on the number of candles, as far as the CS is concerned that's still one light. Certainly a 128 bulb could provide plenty of light for a candelabra but if you need/want it to be a bit brighter go ahead and use a 200 or 256 bulb. :P

Wow, thanks for that post DarkRider. The one about using the "i" key to see the textures. I had been confused about that for a long time. I didn't know that it only displayed information for the area where my edit radius was... thanks! very useful info. I guess I need to read the CS wiki more thoroughly, because it mentions it there too.

http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/index.php/Terrain_Texturing