DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

CS Basics: Final Exam

DarkRider

Pending approval everything is good to go. The file and lots of screenshots can be found here (hopefully). She's a bit of a bodgefest and whilst taking the screenshots noticed things that I wanted to change but managed to resist the temptation :yes:

Pathing:

Interior Pathgrid

Exterior Pathgrid

It's been cleaned however there is a small tear on the cell boundary. I plugged this with a big rock. Unfortunately there is some minor clipping with grass from the neighbouring cell but don't want to edit another cell just for that.

Looks great Blanket. A note for the future, plugging a land tear with a rock is not ideal, you may run into trouble with neighboring mods in the future so you'll want to smooth the land and close the tear. If it crosses into the neighboring cell a hair, that doesn't mean you have to claim that cell, just don't delete it in cleaning. Other than that everything was really well done, you had great use of space and modest clutter without being too light or too heavy. Very creative use of containers as well to maximize storage. Well done. :D

Congratulations on your release and on passing your final exam. I look forward to seeing what mods you put out in the future. :yes:

Hi DR. My final kinda ballooned up on me like a Dwemer Airship in a high wind ! lol It's now Echota Village with main house; that has a basement / tunnelcrypt / fort ruin with 4 working traps and physically connects to the Lowerclass Tavern due north in the next cell. Barkeep house, Bouncer house, stables, well, and 2 Khajiit custom NPC's. All interiors are done and pathed, exterior is pathed and landscaped, and the Tavern is attracting as many as 30 NPC's a day ! ( It is not set public ?) Pet Glyptodon in bouncer house. All buildings are in -13, -2 and -13, -1... but claimed -13, -3 and now show conflict with Elsweyr. Have link to Arthmoor's patch tut (ty Hana) and need to add AI packages to my NPC's so they go to their houses at 6 am. (ty IS) but I want this right before release. Should I just back-burner this and do something a little less ambitious for the final ? Didn't intend for this to get so big - just kinda happened.

Lots of landscaping since screenshot

Edited by Nevyngreat

Well Nevyn sounds like you have learned a little lesson on Scope Creep...the modder's bane. Scope Creep is when you continue to add "new cool idea" onto your original plan. The downside of scope creep is that it often forces modders into a corner where they can't finish a project because it just gets bigger and bigger until it's no longer manageable. That's how RST grew from a nice easy mod about a couple Blades monks wandering around a cleaned up Sancre Tor, to a 40+ gameplay hour quest mod. Fortunately, my teachers kinked my tail before RST got out of hand! :blink:

The way to avoid scope creep is to create a very structured plan of what you want to accomplish and then, stick to it. The outline for the exam gave you a clear plan, you just didn't stick to it much. ;)

There is an issue with your 30 NPCs showing up daily. That is not normal and if I had to wager a guess I'd say you modified a vanilla AI package for your custom NPC. Now every NPC using that vanilla package will show up at your Tavern. It's the same type of dirty edit as you see when you change containers. That's a no no. You want to use custom AI packs, no changing vanilla packs. XD

You can still submit this as your final exam if you choose, since all the necessary points are included. You just won't get extra points for the extra stuff and it sounds like you still have quite a bit of work to do, so if you'd rather take your time with it and really refine it as a village with all that entails, you may want to do something smaller for your exam. Either way is fine with me, so choose what works best for you. :rofl:

Your final exam looks nicely done now Stan, very good work sorting out your tweaks. XD And with that you receive the final points needed to pass the class and earn your medals. Congratulations on completing the CS Basics course, I'm sure I will see you in class again in worldbuilding soon. :blink:

Thanks for the info, DR. I trashed it, just too much wrong. Great learning experience, tho! Will follow the rules closer, final soon, no release.

Tsk tsk, that's a real shame you decided to do that Nevyn. :blink:

There is no such thing as a mod with "too much wrong". With the exception of a very few killer errors (like the black landscape bug) there is little that can be so wrong in any mod that can't be fixed or cleaned up until it's ship shape again. :rofl:

When you give up so quickly you just cheat yourself out of all the hard work you put into it, and there's no bringing it back once you recycle it. Never trash a mod you have invested in; everything you make, even mods with flaws, may be useful someday. I have mods that I did when I was first learning that aren't even playable because I created some dependencies on mods I don't have now and yet I still sometimes find useful bits in them. Mistakes are part of learning this craft, I could spin your head with some of the doozies I made in the beginning, you just have to be willing to fix them instead of trashing the work. Add this to your list of modding wisdom right under "Be wary of Scope Creep" ... "Never bin a mod you have invested time on!" XD

I hope you will reconsider doing the release option, even though you now have to start again, you showed great promise for a new modder. ;)

I thought it was finished. Don't recall doing anything to it. Hana says TES4 edit may be able to fix it. I should get it and learn it - Gecko hates me (and Who, too, I hear !) Btw - Echota Village spent the night in the bin with day b4 back-up, but were rescued this morning. ( Hope it scared them) I do plan on finishing it; and Arion has offered to help if he can build a chapel in it ! It is a great location on the border, and I will delete my barkeep first thing. Before the fat lady sings, I will be good at this. :yes:

Edit: I had to turn it off, conflicted with the final cell somehow. Gonna take it out of Data, to work on later. And... if I Gecko my final, I will ruin it, so I'm kinda stuck still !

Edited by Nevyngreat

CS Basic Final pics:

# 1

# 2

# 3

# 4

# 5

# 6

# 7

# 8

Firewall here at house won't let me access basement close-up or pathing pic. Is in the gallery. DL'd TES4 Edit this am and have a tut up on other comp. Will learn it today; no more lizards destroying my hard work !

Edit: Got TES4 working - House of Paine is cleaned - Will upload pic later - Wilson looks too cool on front of Allegiance Gallery right now to mess with !

Edited by Nevyngreat