DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

NEWS: Changes Ahead for TESA Downloads

DarkRider

Changes on the Horizon for the Downloads Section

Hail Allies!

When we upgraded the site this past spring we discovered a number of shortcomings in the downloads software for our needs as modders, such as one file per mod entry, one screenshot per entry, single file uploading, etc. To your credit you've continued hosting and mirroring your mods here despite our limitations. Since the upgrade I have been championing a number of changes to Invision Power along with several other IPS Board Admins and the IPS developers have heard us!

This a quote from IPS regarding the next release update of the downloads module:

Major changes to file storage

Presently, IP.Downloads allows you to upload (or link to) a single file and a single screenshot with each record. While generally this works well, many customers need the ability to support more than one file or screenshot for each record. We will be changing how files are stored within the system to accommodate some new features that are not presently possible. These features include:

* Use of the flash uploader for file uploads. This will allow for multiple simultaneous file uploads, as well as progress-bar support, when uploading files.

* Multiple files per file record. For instance, you might submit "My Home Movie", and then upload "movie.part1", "movie.part2", and "movie.part3" to break your movie into multiple pieces.

* Mirror support. Along with multiple physical files, you will be able to submit multiple urls, providing for built in mirror support by linking to copies of the download hosted elsewhere.

* Multiple screenshots per record

Thinking beyond the above features, you will be able to use the mirror support functionality for other things as well. For instance, you could submit links to "Related Tools", "Required Files", or "User-Contributed Files". By allowing multiple files and links per record, you will have a lot more control over the grouping of your files and how they are presented to your users.

The new downloads module is currently in its second BETA test and once the bugs are worked through they will release and we will implement the new system here giving everyone a lot more control over their files!

I will keep you all posted as things develop further! :thumbup:

So far I haven't been able to find an affordable hosting solution that will allow us to get passed that cap without sacrificing our unlimited bandwidth. Most of the hosts are either really pricey or the monthly bandwidth caps are too low, but I'm still looking. When the right option comes up, we'll get rid of the cap. :thumbup:

That's excellent news indeed. Especially for the multiple screenshots. Hard to sell your mods on one shot!

I don't suppose by chance your hosting arrangements are going to allow breaking the 64MB limit anytime soon? :)

You can add as many screenies as you like in the description. :P Works just like a normal post, image tags and all. :thumbup:

Wow. Way cool. This is certainly going to help.

Just out of idle curiosity... (and, yes, I know this is posted elsewhere, I just can't seem to find it at the moment...) Is the file size cap a limit imposed by our host? or by the software package?

The cap is limited by the site host because we are on a shared server. Every shared server option has a cap no matter where you go it seems, and our 64MB is the most generous I found actually, other hosts have a 8MB cap so count our blessings there.

In order to nix the cap, we'd have to move to a dedicated server, but that costs a couple hundred a month and currently the site isn't generating any steady income to support itself on a dedicated server.

For now, mods over 64MB are in the minority, and we can still host them via our ftp client. I understand it's not as convenient for the uploaders, but your downloaders do get the benefit of our unlimited bandwidth when downloading those large mods, where as on a dedicated server the uploading may be more convenient, but our bandwidth will be capped and download speeds will be slower.

As I've said, I'm still looking for the best option for this site that will be a win for everyone within a modest budget. :salute:

I know this is probably getting a bit far afield here, but have you ever considered looking into a VPS? Something like Linode.com for example? A VPS would probably solve many problems and they're generally pretty cheap. Though most have a disk capacity limit and I'm sure a site like this would exceed the capacity of the cheaper plans fairly quickly, it may still be an option to consider.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll do some research into that option. At first look, the cheaper plans definitely wouldn't cover us, and caps on storage will prove to be an issue in the long run. I won't move this site to something that TESA will just outgrow and lead to another move in the future. Especially something that is so vastly different than what I have already learned enough to maintain with 99.9% stability.

We don't really have loads of problems. The only issues we have are due to running new and developing software (which moving won't fix), and the only issue with our host is the upload cap which we can side step through ftp. The only way I'll move is if it's better than what we have now; not willing to sacrifice a yard to gain an inch that's just not practical.

Don't worry I do know, having uploaded and updated a large file here myself, that the ftp is not ideal and I will find a good solution! I do appreciate suggestions and will research them thoroughly, but cart before the horse, until the site generates some kind of income for itself a move is not forthcoming; patience will be needed. Our current host offers some great dedicated server options at reasonable fees, but with only sparse donations and my modest income supporting this site it's not feasible. What I need, are some suggestions on getting the site generating an income...that is not Google Ads. :salute:

If I might ask, who provides the hosting? If that's not something you're comfortable revealing in public, could you PM me? I'm curious to see what's what there.

And yeah, Google Ads are bad. They'll just screw you out of being paid what you're owed anyway. They did that to us with the one site I was co-admining when it came time to pay up. Accused us of click-fraud and had no evidence to back it up.

And yeah, Google Ads are bad. They'll just screw you out of being paid what you're owed anyway. They did that to us with the one site I was co-admining when it came time to pay up. Accused us of click-fraud and had no evidence to back it up.

Did the exact same thing to us. :salute:

For security reasons, I don't want the site host public forum, but I'll PM ya. :yes:

Your uploaded files are quick linked in your profile but folks have to be registered to view it. Not sure if that feature will be in this update or not, but I'll find out, I know it's one I've been wanting as well. I'm currently rallying for an integrated ftp solution that will allow users with big mods to still upload through the site software. :rolleyes:

I don't suppose this big change in the downloads software also comes with a quick link to one's list of uploaded files?

I've been getting around the lack of a quick link to uploaded files via my blog. http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/blog/10-whogurus-mod-collective/ :rolleyes: I realize this is only a solution for VIP members but free members could make a thread perhaps collecting links to all their mods in one place until we can get this feature.