DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Windows says no to mice

Beana

So for some reason... I am not sure why... my optical mouse isn't working. Its not even a month old.. my computers only a couple months old. I changed the battery.. tried a different mouse and that wont work. I literally just got back from spending $60 on a nice mouse and even it wont work.:lmao: I get an error saying that its malfunctioned... I restarted my computer and it still is saying that its malfunctioned. I installed the software for the mouse I just bought and its saying that the device is working properly My link

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

XD

edit: my laptop has 3 usb ports all of which give me the same error

also all three mouse mice lol work perfectly fine on my other laptop and on my old desktop. Guess I should have tried that before I went out and bought a new one but oh well lol..

---also other things work in all the usb ports.

My frustration is probably showing itself in my writing so if there is something I'm missing that will help anyone help me please ask.

:lmao:

Had mice problems a while ago, but it was the mice's fault.

Maybe it is the usb port. Do you have multiple usb ports? Try plugging your mouse into all of them.

If not then it may be a driver problem, try updating your drivers.

And if all else fails try googling the error and see if anyone else found a solution to your problem.

I have already done all of it. I really exausted what I could before I posted the thread to no avail! :/ None of the ports work with a mouse. They work with other things like my blackberry but not with a mouse. All of said mouse's work with other computers. I ran mouse diagnostics and it says its working properly... every usb port reports working ok. Now I did find this... My link May be my problem? sermouse.sys as a no?? But I really have no idea.

You could try checking in a couple of places to see if you can change the state (stopped) to see if it helps. I use XP so I'm not sure how one would find this stuff under Vista or Win7.

From the run box:

Msconfig

Go to the Startup tab and make sure any executable software regarding your mouse has a check mark next to it. Sermouse / Microsoft mouse or something with that in the name string should be there.

Also from the run box:

Services.msc

Go through that list, look for any service which might have to do with your mouse. If you find one there that is stopped you can start the service by double-clicking any of the items to open it. On the page which pops up there is a series of buttons about 3/4 way down, press start to start the service again.

I would think then the service sermouse would be and stay operational.

Also make sure to go into your preferences/setup for mouse (control panel) to make sure there is nothing in there to be enabled or disabled in regards to a usb mouse.

Also, I'm sure you've tried this as well, but have you turned off your computer (power down completely), plug in the mouse and fire things up? Sometimes Windows likes to find things all on it's own.

I'm not sure if any of this will help or that you've not already tried it.

Good luck!

Something else you may want to try, is going into device manager, finding your mouse, (mice?) and remove all of them. Power down the system, let is sit for 30 seconds or so, then fire it back up, and plug your mouse back in.

I assume your laptop has a built in pointing device as well, is that working correctly?

Thank you Critterman, Lilith and HeyYou for responding to my rant...

edit:

Found out this morning that it was a problem with my hp and did a hard reset... unplugged power cord... took out battery and held the power button for 15 seconds to drain excess battery left in comp. Put battery back in and started comp as normal and the mouse worked!!

Thank you so much darkstone!!!