DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Help, Oblivion CS crash!

freewaydog

Ok, HERE is my problem: I have Oblivion GoTY. I want to find out the item number to my necklace that I modded, right? So, I open the construction set, right? I go to "data", right? I double click EVERYTHING I have, all the plugins, mods original game, EVERYTHING, right? Everything I have? Isn't that what I am supposed to do? Well, I AM ANGRY & FRUSTRATED because here is what happens right before I click "ok", which crashes me out & does not let me in:

tescserror.jpg

What am I to do about this???? You think it's because I have upgraded to Win7? Is there a patch to make it work? Do I need to uninstall/reinstall the cs? How do I make it work? Please help me! Anyone?

What am I to do about this???? You think it's because I have upgraded to Win7? Is there a patch to make it work? Do I need to uninstall/reinstall the cs? How do I make it work? Please help me! Anyone?

Again, welcome to TES Alliance! :rofl: I think you'll like it here. Okay, down to business:

The UAC on both Windows Vista and Windows 7 causes a few problems with mods. The best fix for this is to install Oblivion in a directory outside of "Program Files", since the UAC is very touchy about those. Read This for more. Once this is done (and the CS re-installed) the Windows Vista/7 problems should disappear. Then you can use TES4Edit to find the FormID.

Edited by The Vyper

Loading everything you have in the CS will give it a seizure, that was mentioned in your thread here http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=1076680

You also state in that thread that you HAVE found the form ID of your necklace using TES4Edit. :huh:

The reason the CS crashes when you load EVERYTHING you have, is because your computer is not strong enough to handle the workload. Depending on how many plugins you're loading I doubt anyone's computer could handle it. You are forcing the CS to crash by asking it to load too much. If that's the case, you can reinstall 8 billion times but it will never change that. :thumbup:

If you want to make a mod, all you need to load is the Oblivion.esm, no plugins. :)

If you load your plugins with the Oblivion.esm, any mods you make will be dependent on those plugins, that's bad. That means if somewhere down the road you want to uninstall the original plugin, your plugin won't work anymore.

I can hear you thinking "but DarkRider, if i don't load the plugins how can I add the things I like from those mods to my mod?" :rofl:

To do that you need to make copies of the those assets those modders used that you would like to use, and add them like any other modders resource to your mod buy loading the Oblivion.esm, creating each object as new and pointing the NIF slot in the CS to your copy of the asset in your data folder. There are tutorials for using modders resources. Just loading them in the CS won't make them a permanent part of your mod. :)

One of the big mistakes many new modders make is they get fixated on this MOD they want to make and they bang around in the CS haphazardly with mixed results and usually get frustrated, decide modding is too hard, and they quit. If you want to learn how to Mod, I recommend you join the CS Basics here. I will guide you step by step from installing the CS to releasing your first mod. Once you complete the class, you will have the skills you need to create whatever mod you have envisioned. :D

Good Luck

[EDIT] Also, is your version of the game from a disc? Or a download?

Thanks, Darkrider, I guess no sense in reloading the cs. My game is from a disc. I wasn't even thinking of adding one mod to another. I just made a few minor uber items & would like to make more. I think making a big mod would be too hard for me, I wish it was not. I will have to see.

Loading everything you have in the CS will give it a seizure, that was mentioned in your thread here http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=1076680

You also state in that thread that you HAVE found the form ID of your necklace using TES4Edit. :huh:

The reason the CS crashes when you load EVERYTHING you have, is because your computer is not strong enough to handle the workload. Depending on how many plugins you're loading I doubt anyone's computer could handle it. You are forcing the CS to crash by asking it to load too much. If that's the case, you can reinstall 8 billion times but it will never change that. :thumbup:

If you want to make a mod, all you need to load is the Oblivion.esm, no plugins. :)

If you load your plugins with the Oblivion.esm, any mods you make will be dependent on those plugins, that's bad. That means if somewhere down the road you want to uninstall the original plugin, your plugin won't work anymore.

I can hear you thinking "but DarkRider, if i don't load the plugins how can I add the things I like from those mods to my mod?" :rofl:

To do that you need to make copies of the those assets those modders used that you would like to use, and add them like any other modders resource to your mod buy loading the Oblivion.esm, creating each object as new and pointing the NIF slot in the CS to your copy of the asset in your data folder. There are tutorials for using modders resources. Just loading them in the CS won't make them a permanent part of your mod. :)

One of the big mistakes many new modders make is they get fixated on this MOD they want to make and they bang around in the CS haphazardly with mixed results and usually get frustrated, decide modding is too hard, and they quit. If you want to learn how to Mod, I recommend you join the CS Basics here. I will guide you step by step from installing the CS to releasing your first mod. Once you complete the class, you will have the skills you need to create whatever mod you have envisioned. :D

Good Luck

[EDIT] Also, is your version of the game from a disc? Or a download?

Really consider joining the class, many of the graduates once believed modding was beyond their grasp. No matter what you want to mod, big or small, it really outlines what everything does in the CS and how to use the tool to it's potential. :D

Ok, sure, I will give it a try.

I really recommend you take the classes.Three to four months ago all I could do in the CS was stick a few statics together.I took DarkRiders class and have`nt looked back.Everything you need to know to complete the course is clearly explained in easy to follow sections.It`s by no means a "do this,then do this" type of thing,there are assignments to complete on your own which is a marvellous way to learn.Before you know it your well on your way to completing your first mod.