DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[REQ]A model edit =FILLED=

WhoGuru

Would it be possible, and I hope not to hard, for someone to edit the ARCage01 model to make one of the walls a door? Able to be locked/unlocked and used as a cell for prisoners. I'd like it to be an actual, usable cage. :) Which it is not at the moment.

Many, many thanks to anyone who can help me out. :thumbup:

Wow. Hadn't even though it would need a door animation as well but it would. :thumbup: Rats I was hoping this would be simple. LOL

Well it's not critical, I'll use them regardless but it would have given a bit of realism to have a door in the thing. :)

Okay, so would it be simpler to make it two models? One, cut a wall out of the cage and two, use the cut out piece to create a door object?

An animation dude will probably come along and tell you that it wouldn't be hard to do, but I'd have big troubles doing it. Don't know .kf files.

But that's what I immediately thought to do - cut one of the walls, maybe finish the 'door' part up a little, then try to copy/paste a vanilla door anim onto the new gate. Don't know if that counts as two models, or as one model with two parts ( I think it's b ).

Anyway that's the way I'd try to do it.

And now that my gun is in safe hands I might try to do it! And this might be a time when I might maybe try to stick to a deadline!

But don't hold your breath, and if somebody with more knowledge comes along, let him/her at it!

-Wish E. Waushee :thumbup:

It could be done by making 2 objects. A doorless cage, and replacing a door with the cage door, thus hijacking its animation. Easily doable.

Snag, there isn't a cage 'door' on the model - I cut out one of the walls, and tried to have a vanilla door use that mesh, but no go.

EDIT - Does that mean I need to swap out pieces of the mesh in Nifskope, sorta the way you need to do it with a weapon for FO3? I'm lost in Nifskope. But I won't surrender, Red.

To get exact details I'll probably need to see your exported NIF(s), but in broad strokes this is what we'll be doing.

Our basic cage remains the same except for the one missing wall panel. If you wanted you could just replace the NiTriStrips ARCage01:15 (46) with your exported one. Unfortuneatly we have to replace the Havok too so that the player can walk through the opening. (Let me know if you haven't played around with havok meshes before).

Once that's done we create a subnode (R-Click, Block>Insert, NiN...>NiNode). I usualy set the block number to make it the highest currently in the NIF but it shouldn't really matter (Ctrl+up/down arrows). Go into your root NiNode ARCage01 (0) and double click on the value for Num Children, increase it by one. Click the refresh symbol beside Children and the + to open it. Double click on the new empty entry and type in the block number of your new Node.

Using the X and Y vectors under Translation position your new subnode, so it lines up with where your hinges will be. Paste your door panel into the new node (Block>Copy Branch) in your exported NIF, then select your new node in this NIF and (Block>Paste Branch). Using the X/Y vectors on your NiTriStrip line it up with the doorway (we're doing all this PITA moving via vectors so that when we rotate the node the door rotates from the hinges)

In a bit of a hurry so in any/all of this is gibberish let me know and I'll clarify. ;-)

WT

Well I followed along Wind, and it worked until I copy/pasted. Nothing appeared. I explain in the PM - but why wouldn't the part I copied have appeared? Any idea? Will try again.

EDIT - Yay. I just copied the whole branch, both nodes. Looks nice! Thanks Wind!

Red, this might work with Wind helping. XD

Cage.jpg

Windmill Tilter done did it - I just checked it in the game.

Edit - ...and the door can be opened from any point around the cage, not only from directly in fromt of it. Is that OK Red, or would you rather have it open from just directly in front? I'm not sure how you're going to use it.

Wind is thinking on it now. A switch would work fine, eliminating any of that.