DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Vista fails to boot after update

Rowan

So a few days ago, after automatically updating, my computer failed to boot normally. It would only boot in safe mode. I successfully used system restore to fix the problem, but I didn't know it was the update that caused the problem in the first place, so I let it update itself again - resulting in another unsuccessful boot. I tried to do a system restore again, but it didn't work so I had to use my Vista install disk to reinstall windows (I did not see any "repair" option) This of course wiped my system clean (putting old files in a backup folder) so now I have to reinstall all of my programs one by one.

I did a few searches online and found this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358

As to why this is happening, I am at a loss. I'm no techie, but how could Microsoft release a corrupted update? And why isn't it affecting more people?

I strongly recommend that you configure windows update to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them"

Then wait, as said above.

There are a number of websites that monitor Windows patches for problems.

I personally use Askwoody.com, he seems to be very up-to-date, and has, in fact written many after market guides on Windows and other Microsoft products.

Thanks for help guys. I've installed most of the updates, except for the new ones that showed up this morning. My computer seems to be working like normal.

But I have another problem. My graphics card doesn't work! Vista doesn't run windows Aero, and says the performance score for my video card is one. It used to be above 5.

I reinstalled the driver (179.48 beta) but when I tried to restart, after showing the intel logo, and bios info, it froze on a dark gray screen (the same problem I had earlier). I did a system restore in safe mode back to before I installed the driver and it worked like normal.

Now, remember that I have installed this driver before, without problems...

Any ideas about what is going on here?

I would download an earlier version of my video drivers, but don't install them!

Download a program like driver cleaner, or some such.

Download a program like Ccleaner.

Reboot in safe mode.

System restore to a known good point.

Eliminate all video drivers.

Clean the registry.

Reboot again (in safe mode)

Install downloaded drivers.

And don't apply any windows updates until you've got the machine running correctly

It's a GeForce 8600M GS. Yes I had no issues with that driver before the update problem and the failures to boot that resulted. What I don't understand is why installing the driver caused the no-boot problem.

Edit: However, the most recent driver for that card is actually the 195.81 BETA not the 179.48. I was told at some point that using slightly older drivers would improve Oblivion's performance.

Edited by Rowan

It's a GeForce 8600M GS. Yes I had no issues with that driver before the update problem and the failures to boot that resulted. What I don't understand is why installing the driver caused the no-boot problem.

Edit: However, the most recent driver for that card is actually the 195.81 BETA not the 179.48. I was told at some point that using slightly older drivers would improve Oblivion's performance.

This Video card seems to work best with the 186.18 drivers.

Many users have reported problems with Oblivion and the 192xx drivers (I don't recall any remarks about the BETA drivers)

Qwaxalot

It's a custom built laptop, put together by Cyberpower. You can take a look at my dxdialogue report in my other help thread for all the info.

I believe I've tried installing the 186.18 before without success, plus my card isn't listed with the supported cards. It looks like it doesn't support M series cards - ie, laptop.

• 4 months later...

Ok, so I STILL have this problem. Windows is stuck at 4 colors and at the lowest resolution. My video card isn't being recognized.

Now I've done a bit of research and have found this:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistahardware/thread/1e87eee9-f02e-4c7e-8b44-eee80db3c67b

what do you make of it?

also, how do I switch on my secondary/backup/onboard display? I think it's an intel something or other, but when it's on, I can use 32 colors and full resolution (at least that's my theory).

As I write this, I'm trying to upgrade to windows 7 and reformat everything. Maybe it will fix the problem.

DxDiag only shows the one video card... so, unless it is disabled in hardware profiles, the nvidia card is all you got.... You can poke around in your device manager, and see what else it shows under Display Adapters, and if you don't find anything there, poke thru your bios, and see what you can find.

Also, get the 186 version of the drivers from Nvidia's archives. Start Here.

Boot into safe mode, use driver cleaner to nuke all the current drivers. Run CCleaner, and have it do a registry scan. Let if fix what it finds. Reboot into normal windows, and kill the new hardware wizard, (if you can....) then, fire off the installer for the 186 drivers. Reboot when it wants to. See what happens.

If that doesn't work. Reinstall a base Vista install. Just the O/S. NO UPDATES. Grab the driver again, (if you have to) and install it. If it STILL doesn't work, chances are good that your vid card is toast.