DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Re-linking cells/doors

Fearabbit

This is a problem that really slows me down right now, because whenever I start to do something, I always think "maybe this way of doing it causes problems; I should wait until I know more about the subject".

Basically, I want to edit vanilla cells and their teleport doors. I'm working on an Arcane University overhaul mod, which completely restructures the AU. Part of this is that e.g. the Spellmaking Center (yes, I'm also going to get rid of those stupid pseudo-Latin names that nobody can understand!) will be a room inside the main building of the university, instead of being a building of its own.

That means that I need to replace the doors that lead to the exterior of the AU with doors that lead to my new interior cell. As far as I can tell, there are several options:

1. Delete the original doors and put my own doors in their place, which will link to the proper cell

2. Simply edit the original doors so that they link to the proper cell

3. Move the original doors out of sight and put mine in their place

4. Leave the original doors alone and instead put my own doors right in front of them

I don't know a lot about this area of modding, but I've heard that deleting vanilla objects isn't a good idea because it might lead to CTDs in combination with other mods. I also know that doors are persistent, so moving them will also require me to make a script that makes sure they are in the correct place, AND a script that puts them back to their original position in case the player wants to disable my mod.

Concerning option 2 and 4, I have no clue what the downsides would be, but I bet there are some.

So... does anyone here have any experience on the subject? How can I keep my mod as compatible as possible? And in any case, what should I do with the other doors, the ones in the AU worldspace? Should I remove/move/edit them or leave them alone?

I would recommend leaving the doors as they are and instead of changing them, add additional mage guild teleport type doors to the various classrooms. That way it stays sort of mystical and more forgiving to the way the exterior shape of the main building doesn't seem to house those classrooms.

If you really want to edit the doors, 2 seems most logical but may cause conflicts if some other mod alters the same doors. 4 seems to be the least likely to cause issues solution of those you've listed. :rofl:

Of the options listed, #2 is probably the best choice. #4 seems good at first, but somewhere along the way you will need to redirect something and you'll end up at #2 anyway. There's also the fact that #4 won't prevent NPCs from continuing to use the doors even if they player can't. #2 fixes that.

Alright, then 2 it is. It's my favorite option anyway because it seems like the most intuitive way of handling such things. It's just that you can never be sure; often with the CS, the most intuitive solutions are also the ones that secretly cause the most problems.

Out of curiosity, Arthmoor: Is that the way you do it in Open Cities, too?

By the way, the exterior will be redesigned, so leaving the doors and adding teleportation pads instead is not possible. :yes: