DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Heightmap editor questions

Vouivre

I have several questions, which probably is the core thing that is stumping me right now on the world space I'm trying to start. Looking at the tamriel height map, the one that is all different colors to show the differing heights.

The first one I have is similar to what someone else had asked. The height map editor would generate the overall shape and height of the landscape including the mountains and valleys right? And when it's close to what you want you save it, then go into the landscape editor and start placing everything? The wiki doesn't really go into great detail on how to make a worldspace. I'm just trying to figure out where and how to start. As the rest becomes aesthetics.

Alright, at least in some small way I'm helping. The biggest thing that's bothering me, is the tamriel heightmap. It does not show the area for Cheydinhal, Leyawiin, or anvil. Yet some high areas north of chorral. I can see the main river leading to the Imperial City and the Rumare lake area around it, that's easy to pick out with it being blue, and the IC's actual location in a ring. I'm just wondering the overall process on how you get the landscape to go how you want it. Do you work it in the height map editor first, save, go to the landscape editor look and if you see what you like (as in it's the overall terrain style that you want minimal tweaking can be done later on) you move onto the next area and go back and forth? Or how does it work. I know to "paint" the landscape, it is the same way how we did in the CS Basic classes. You wouldn't "paint" the terrain in the height map editor would you?

In short, the heightmap just shapes the land. It creates hills, valleys, and you can set things like erosion and slope, etc. But this tool takes a long long time to master effectively because it doesn't show much detail in the tool itself.

The Region Editor can automatically generate landscape and trees, rocks, etc. but you will have to hand paint specific things like beaches and roads.

However, anything you do in either heightmap editor or region Editor will require manual adjusting using the landscaping tool and you will need to look over your world on the ground level to make sure everything looks good.

In Section 102 we will be making a world from scratch using these tools. :)

Ah okay gotcha, I think I might use the region editor. I'll have greater control and will work as I go. Thanks, now to get the juices going to actually design a rough worldmass shape. Oh one question, up near the bandit camp to the northeast of cheydinhal with the thugs, there's a small lake there. How do you go about setting a body of water there? Or can you adjust water height per cell, like you do with interiors? I can't wait to play with the worldmaking classes. Learn and work as I go. Thanks again DR.

• 1 year later...

Kia Ora

I hope it's ok to ask here as it seem wastfult to start a new thread for same thing.

I'm after finding out if I build a landmass using that layer cake idea and I end up with a base and a layer for mounds/hils and bumps

and a layer for mountains, if I use the lasso to select the mountains do I need to cut in as close as possible or just near enough if

I'm going to use a fall-off at say 80 to blend the edges?

I'm finding I get not much in way of maountains and a shape drop at the lasso edge or I end up with mountains looking like radio wave spikes

rather than those in Cyrodiil