DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Mouse does not move when keyboard key is pressed

Galvon

Okay so I have a Acer Aspire 7736g and have checked google for solutions but nothing seems to help. So when I press say W and try to move the mouse it doesn't work this is the same for all the keys and the only work around is using a USB mouse which has now broke :P. Anybody got any ideas on how to help?

EDIT: Right it is definitely not the drivers checked the Acer website and the keyboard and mouse drivers are up to date. Also I have had this problem since I had the laptop

Edited by Galvon

Sounds like an IRQ conflict.

All computers have a limited number of IRQs, which are basically channels of communication devoted to specific things. If 2 things are trying to use the same IRQ, the one that got there first gets priority.

This has been a long standing problem with USB, as grate as it is, they can cause IRQ conflicts with many input type devices, IE your mouse and keyboard. So, I would not be surprised if that is the problem.

IIRC there might be a way to manually assign IRQs for devices, but I have never had to do it before, so I cant say how.

I second what echo said - it sounds like an IRQ conflict.

To Fix:

1. Open the "Start" menu, click on the "Control Panel" and open the "Device Manager." Or, right-click "My Computer" and choose "Properties" from the context menu, and click "Device Manager" from the Hardware tab. There are a few more ways to get Device Manager open, which you choose doesn't matter.

2. Click on the "View" option and select to arrange the list according to "Resources by Type."

3. Open the "IRQ" menu.

4. Right-click on the conflicting device and choose the properties option.

5. Uncheck the "Use Automatic Settings" box and manually assign an IRQ number from the drop-down menu.

6. Press "OK" and restart the computer to complete the change.

That's how I do it, but note that I have XP so your buttons and menus may be slightly different in Vista or 7. You should probably leave the IRQ for your keyboard alone and change your mouse, just in case - the machine may not even POST if the keyboard gets mucked up, so better safe than sorry there. If you can't see which is which, pick one & hold your breath while it reboots.

You can also see in Device Manager if two devices really have an IRQ conflict at all - usually there will be a yellow ! next to them when the view is set to "Devices by Type".

Hope this helps! And not my fault if your PC blows up, etc... insert standard disclaimer here.