DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Keyboards

vometia

Wow..... That seems... extreme.... for a keyboard. The six keys pressed simultaneously could be helpful on occasion though. (my current limit is three...) I would be REAL curious why they are so proud of that though. Seems like a lot of money for basically a standard keyboard, with nice mechanicals.... Maybe the gold switches is where the major cost comes from.

I also note they are sold out...... Wow. Must be a lotta folks with big bucks to spend on their keyboard?

I am still using a 12 year old wireless keyboard/mouse that I got for FREE......

I like keyboards with a nice tactile response, which I'm willing to pay for, but for something with even good quality Cherry keyswitches (which I think this one has), it seems very expensive. I'm guessing that there's a premium for something or other, but I seem to have missed what it is.

Then again, talking of cost, I remember a review of the original IBM PC from 30 years back (probably about a year after it was initially released) that praised its wonderful keyboard, but stated that "it costs half as much as an entire BBC Micro", which would've put it at £200: in today's money, that's approximately... a lot. I think the reason they mentioned the BBC Micro is that it was renowned for having the best keyboard of the home computers of the day, though I've little doubt that IBM's effort was better.

And I figure if your keyboard is still going after 12 years, it must be doing something right!

I've found that I've had to compromise. For business use in which I'm doing a lot of typing, nothing can surpass an IBM keyboard. Hands down. Fortunately I still have some old ones kicking around that I can use. They don't make them anymore. :(

For gaming, I like the Merc Stealth. It has an extra gaming pad on the left side which is excellent for WASD type games. It's also programmable so I can change the keys around if necessary. It isn't great for typing with, but is survivable for forum posts. :D

I've found that I've had to compromise. For business use in which I'm doing a lot of typing, nothing can surpass an IBM keyboard. Hands down. Fortunately I still have some old ones kicking around that I can use. They don't make them anymore. :(

The keyboard I mentioned in the OP is basically the same thing: it's not quite as heavily constructed as the original IBM Model M, but it's still heavy, nice to use and should last for years. They also make them with the extra Windows keys these days, too.

Edit: actually, post 14 as it transpires. Oops!

Edited by vometia

I don't mind the looks myself, though they are rather workaday. I don't know why they don't do a normal black-on-black keyboard, though.

I guess my old Microsoft Sidewinder looked a bit more "down with the kids, man", but it was horrible to use... I've since binned it due to the keys' coating peeling off and it generally not being very good.

IBM did update the design and I liked the ones that came with their Intellistations. No idea what the model number was for the keyboard, but it came with a wrist rest and was much more streamlined. Same IBM quality. We still have two that we use from time to time. My business machine is a Mac these days, so no more IBM keyboards.

Take a look at these, but priced between $800 to $1500 USD. Beautiful but i would never pay that for a keyboard.

Wow! I was wondering how on earth they justified that sort of price, but I have more of an idea now. I still think they're hideously expensive for what they are, but they do look seriously pretty awesome. I remember my grandfather owning an old mechanical typewriter with similar keys to some of them. :lol:

I don't pay that much for the cars I drive....... Guess those are for the folks with more money than they know what to do with.

You have to admit, it would be nice to have so much money that you could splurge on that sort of thing without wincing!

They are pieces of art, limited quantity, made by hand. Once you factor in the cost and time to make each, the prices are fair. Still too much for my wallet but hes selling so some people can afford to have cool tech.