DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

I Like Knives

Joben

...I generally save if for the second...

But no seriously...I like blades, and I like using them. So here is a little photo essay about some of mine. I hope you find it interesting.

This set of tools is for Outdoor stuff.

I generally have one or two of these when messing about in the woods. A good cutting tool is invaluable if one has need to process wood for a fire, or any other reason.

So yes...you could call these "Survival Knives" if you really want to, though IMHO that word is getting a bit overused.

Victorinox One Hand Trekker, ESEE Izula w/ Micarta handle scales, ESEE-3, Mora 511, Florian Folding Saw.

tools3.jpg

Here they are opened/unsheathed, and joining them is a Cold Steel Trail 'Hawk.

In slightly different order this time, just to confused you, the knives are: ESEE Izula w/ Micarta handle scales, Victorinox One Hand Trekker, Mora 511, ESEE-3

tools1.jpg

Lets take a look at the swiss army knife and Izula.

These are very nice, and small enough that they can be carried more or less anywhere.

They both make wonderful pocketknives for everyday tasks.

trekker1.jpg

The Swiss Army Knife type is well proven and reliable, and packs a number of very useful tools into a small package.

Of particular interest here is the saw, which is very nice. Saws are a very efficient way to cut tough materials without expending undue energy.

Tasks which might put undue strain on the fairly lightly constructed folding SAK can be handled by the Izula. It is quite thick for it's size and very strong.

The company that makes the Izula, and the orange handled knife above is a division of Randall's Adventure and Training (R.A.T.) who among other things teach Survival, Escape and Evasion classes the the military in the jungles of South American. This is reflected in the brand name of their knives "Escuela de Supervivencia [school of Survival], Escape and Evasion" (ESEE).

This particular RC-3 is a numbered limited edition model made for the "Rat Pack" fan club on Bladeforums.com

This is also the largest knife i routinely carry, because my home state frowns on anything with more than 4" of cutting edge unless you're hunting/fishing....philistines.

blueing2.jpg

Here it is in a standard or 'hammer' grip.

rc3grip2.jpg

It's designed with a large finger choil in front of the ricasso, so you can 'choke up on' the knife to get more control for detail work.

rc3grip1.jpg

The red handled knife with the shiny blade, Mora 511, is a shockingly cheap ($9) knife that is amazingly useful and well designed.

It hails from Sweden, and features a good carbon steel blade with what is known as a Scandinavian Grind. That is to say it is ground on a flat stone with that one bevel going all the way to the edge.

This very thing (~30 degree) smooth edge makes it an amazing knife for wood working. Tissue thin curls of wood can be easily produced by even a novice.

stump.jpg

Ahhh yes...the tomahawk. This was purchased largely because I wanted a chopping tool, and as I said my state's law frown upon large knives. LOL I'm sure a tomahawk could get you in trouble if you did anything nefarious with it, but axes are not specifically listed as forbidden weapons, and therefore, in an appropriate context should be fine. I have not had it long, but am quickly coming to appreciate it as an extremely versatile tool with almost limitless possibilities.

I carved the traction rings in the handle, and burned in the tiger stripe pattern myself.

...So there you go...a few of my favorite things. What'cha got to say about that?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kind of like knives, I just don't like the idea that I'd probably cut all my fingers off. I'm bad enough with the kitchen knives. We do have something very similar to the serrated one for attacking things in the garden, though.

I was going to do a Crocodile Dundee and post a picture of a sword, but I figured that would be cheating. XD

Although I do like knives, I prefer swords myself...

Perhaps I should post my sword picture after all, then! This is an Albion Chevalier, which really makes me think of DA:O's Leliana. Albion don't do scabbards, so that was made by Tod of Tod's Stuff to match this particular sword.

gallery_3_1_149011.jpg

Edit: I have to say that I think the spoon is criminally underrated as a combat weapon.

... and burned in the tiger stripe pattern myself.

I only just noticed that bit. I'm used to seeing the likes of "flame maple" on guitars so I'd assumed it was something like that and hadn't realised it was something you'd done yourself. Very creative!

Swords are cool for sure, but I like stuff I can actually find a a USE for.

This is a Ka-Bar Becker BK9.

9 Inches of good old 1095 High Carbon Steel. As tough as the day is long and literally razor sharp.

Note the wear on the powder coating...

BeckerBk9.jpg

One casual chop...Splitting firewood and felling small trees are easily possible with a tool like this if you know the proper techniques.

beckerchop.jpg

The kit that rides in the storage pocket on the sheath:

Ceramic sharpening rod

Firesteel

Jute twine and a bit of fatwood for kindling

The little BK13 (for kindling prep and as a striker for the steel)

Clip on LED light.

beckerkit.jpg

[edit] Oh and that's a snag free lanyard design. With the cord lock all the way in there is no loop to catch on anything when the knife is sheathed.

With it out you have a large loop that can be wrapped around your hand for extra retention. If you wrap it as shown above dropping the knife will cause it to swing AWAY from your body instead of into your leg.

I only just noticed that bit. I'm used to seeing the likes of "flame maple" on guitars so I'd assumed it was something like that and hadn't realised it was something you'd done yourself. Very creative!

Ahh yes. That handle is hickory if i recall, a traditional wood for hafted tools/weapons.

That type of pattern is done by wrapping it a pattern with natural cordage, or strips of cloth, generally soaked in some inflammable liquid.

You then set it alight and let it burn for a minute or two before putting it out.

This was my first attempt, so it's a bit messy, but I like the effect, and I'll give it another shot if/when i break that handle.

9 inch in total length or just the blade?

My biggest is 11.5 total. 6 inch blade with 5.5 inch grip. and its .25 inch thick 440 titanium steel alloy. Mostly made for prying things apart.

9 inch cutting edge. OAL is aprox 14 inches, and blade thickness at the spine is aprox 0.2 inch

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, on to Every Day Carry (EDC) blades. That is ones that are helpful for everyday tasks and are small enough to be conveniently carried.

Two of the Outdoors Blades also appear in this list because they're such versatile designs.

Across the top: Izula, this time in thinner sheath for pocket carry.

Then: Byrd Crossbill, Victorinox Tinker, Victorinox One Hand Trekker, Leatherman Juice XE6, CRKT Minimalist, Boker Subclaw.

edcblades.jpg

The Crossbill and Subclaw are both hawkbill blade designs. This blade type has major advantages in several types of cutting since it bites and catches the work instead of letting it slip off.

The Subclaw has a 1.5 inch AUS-8 blade, the Crossbill is 3 inches, in a roughly equivilent steel that has way too long a name to remember.

hawkbills.jpg

This is the Minimalist, I wear it around my neck.

Two basic tools, blade, and light (Photon Microlight) available 24/7. :)

It's a tiny knife but the ergos are good and it's very usable.

minimalist2.jpg

These are my Swiss Army Knives.

My father gave me the red one almost 18 years ago.

It's the Tinker model, and is an excellent knife. Mine is getting a bit worn, and I'm sentimental about it, so the Trekker was purchased to put it into semi-retirement lest i do it damage someday.

In keeping with my outdoor interests it's a bit beefier, and exchanges the small blade for a saw, but is otherwise identical. Both of these knives are well thought out, the tool selections are nearly perfect for their intended purposes.

twosaks2.jpg

This is a a Leatherman Juice XE6. The Juice series of tools is their medium pocket-sized line, between the 'keychain' ones and the full size ones like the Wave.

It packs an amazing array of functional tools into it's small frame. (Though lol it sits at the bottom of your pocket like a brick).

leathermanjuice2.jpg

May as well post some of mine...

One group of swords (mostly decorative, but the black ones are functional):

swords1.jpg

Group 2 (all decorative, except for the second one from the bottom of the rack- that one is functional and razor sharp):

swords2w.jpg

Group 3 (all functional):

swords3.jpg

Naginata (functional- the blade can be separated from the shaft at the silver ring a bit below the guard- makes a good short sword):

naginata.jpg

The Big One (not something you want coming at you):

bigolesword.jpg

My favorite knife (and yes, I know how to knife fight):

favoriteknife.jpg

That's about two thirds of my collection.

Woho mad props for having functional swords. A good sword is a thing of beauty.

I think I once spent about 15 minutes just staring at some authentic katana at a museum just marveling at the workmanship and artistic lines.

Ahhh good old USMC Ka-Bar

I don't have one of the standard model, but I do have one of the variants....only good pic i have is a group shot...

That's the short tanto model with synthetic handle.

The top guard kept piching my hand in almost every grip, so i ground it down. Improved the knife's usability about 300%

hest1.jpg

Also appearing, Mora Clipper, ESEE H.E.S.T. and Izula

I've also got a vintage Cataraugus 225Q

This knife is WWII era, but was never distributed as widely as the more famous Ka-Bar.

Apologies for the crappy pics.

one.jpg

two.jpg

It's not in usable condition sadly, the end cap is loose and the leather washers that make up the handle are crumbly.

It doesn't have any great collectors value, so i hope to get it re-handled someday.

That thing is a beast, built like the proverbial tank, it's in the 'sharpened prybar' class, and has obviously seen some rough use in it's day.

There are chips on the spine like someone pounded it through something with a rock. But it seems to have shrugged off outright abuse. :)

Woho mad props for having functional swords. A good sword is a thing of beauty.

I think I once spent about 15 minutes just staring at some authentic katana at a museum just marveling at the workmanship and artistic lines.

I must admit a preference to functional swords too, even though I don't know a thing about the martial arts - I guess I like them to be authentic (even if it does mean the odd rust spot now and then!) One of my swords isn't functional since I was missold a fake, annoyingly; fortunately it didn't cost much, but it was my one foray into the world of "antique" swords, which I subsequently discovered is notorious for being awash with fakes. I think I'll stick to modern reproductions now: they may not have the "antique" element but well-made examples are still authentic and every bit as real, and certainly more so than some of the knock-offs that are sold as genuine antiques, which aren't just cheap and nasty but potentially quite dangerous.

My partner seems to like the idea of using the swords to chop vegetables and stuff with. I'm inclined to think that's a slightly dangerous idea...

Edit: I think I should edit this post a few more times just to make that paragraph even more unnecessarily unnecessary. :)

I'd post some pictures but with my dialup I'll just stick to descriptions of my fun blades ;)

My constant companion (in my pocket 95% of waking hours): folding stainless steel 4in blade, 4inch handle (approx)... also small saw, screw drivers etc.

My favourite: a 22in blade carbon steel machette... just got it back in May but already it has seen thousands of vicious and bloody battles with salmon berries (undefeatedly I might add)

also 2 rather beaten up and no doubt walking repositories of tetanus (rusty) 18in machetes

and one 30in good heavy (around 15lbs) sword

Pacific Morrowind

Keep in mind that 15 pounds is only 6.8 KG, which isn't very much. 15 KG and you might have to use it two handed. Mind you, 80 lbs is child's play for carrying for me, but I'm kinda strong for a fatty.

It's a lot for a sword, though... single-handers are usually 2-3 lbs, two handers perhaps 4 or a little over. I think the heaviest functional sword I've heard of was a working replica of Conan's sword, weighing in at just under 8 lbs (a review on MyArmoury.com describes its weight as "far outside the parameters for a functional sword of this size"--about a metre long--though that does imply that there may be even heavier examples ;)).

I think people often assume that swords are heavier than they are because the point of balance is so far away from one's hand, which can come as a surprise to those not used to handling them. The first one I picked up has a very light blade and "felt" way better than subsequent and weightier examples... for a while; but now it feels oddly insubstantial. There's only a few ounces between them, though.

I think people often assume that swords are heavier than they are because the point of balance is so far away from one's hand, which can come as a surprise to those not used to handling them.

Actually, the "balance point" of a sword depends on what it's primarily designed for. A sword designed for thrusting will have more weight at the pommel to provide the wielder with better control over the point. A sword designed primarily for slashing will have more weight in the blade, so it hits harder and bites deeper. There are swords that aim to accomplish both, and they do both well enough, but not as well as the more specialized blades.

I thought I'd take the liberty of posting a picture of some of my swords, since I've already got away with posting one of them without anybody complaining. ;)

gallery_3_1_230539.jpg

They are (L-r)...

1. Paul Chen "Orchid". I'm not a katana collector, but they came perilously close to being banned in the UK a couple of years back so I thought I'd better grab one while I had the chance. Happily, common sense prevailed, but I don't mind having a token katana anyway. It seems quite nice.

2. Fake Royal Artillery sabre - beware anyone describing a sword as the "correct pattern" and trying to imply it's simply unissued: it's unissued because it's not genuine. Still, although the blade is about as sharp as a cricket bat and the "etching" is quite poor, it actually looks pretty good in its scabbard. Which I'm not saying as some sort of joke, I've really come to appreciate good scabbards lately and in contrast to the blade, the grip is also nicely done.

3. Armour Class generic mediaeval sword with the skinny blade. This is the one I described as being very light, and it is; in hindsight I'd probably go for their wider-bladed model which is probably better balanced, but it's still a nicely made sword and I love the way you can see the slight indentations where the fuller has been hand forged. I also asked them to add the wire spiral to the grip which I think makes it look classy without being ostentatious. Oh, and it's very sharp.

4. Albion Gallowglass. I was a total philistine when this arrived and consequently didn't really appreciate it: especially with it being a Claymore-size sword, it felt an enormous great unwieldy lump compared to the Armour Class Mediaeval. But I've since come to appreciate it more and it's a lovely piece: though I'll always have a penchant for the sort of "ooh, shiny!" faux ceremonial bling that this sword lacks, the clean lines of something well researched do have their own appeal. This one is also very sharp.

5. Armour Class Saxon sword with acid etched bits and stuff. Despite appearances, in many ways it's similar to their Mediaeval, but with the wider blade I was on about; though the lack of a leather grip might make it a bit blister-inducing in use, the etching of all those runes is really quite fascinating. I think this was really the first time I sat up and took notice of the issue of scabbards, too, something that's easy to overlook but is often as expensive as the sword itself. Its scabbard is to the right and is made of wood, covered in leather and lined with some sort of wooly stuff to protect the blade. As before, "very sharp" etc.

6. Albion Kingmaker. I've always preferred fullered swords, which this clearly isn't, but found something about the Kingmaker really compelling. I think the hollow-ground blade just works so well with the crossbar and pommel and love the way it works overall. This is my scariest sword since not only is it very sharp etc it's also very pointy and I'm always slightly afraid of dropping it and skewering my foot (considering I've managed to do this with a lowly garden fork, it's not an unrealistic concern. :))

Actually, the "balance point" of a sword depends on what it's primarily designed for. A sword designed for thrusting will have more weight at the pommel to provide the wielder with better control over the point. A sword designed primarily for slashing will have more weight in the blade, so it hits harder and bites deeper. There are swords that aim to accomplish both, and they do both well enough, but not as well as the more specialized blades.

True enough, but in the case of my Armour Class Mediaeval (in the above picture) you can see it wouldn't make a very good stabbing sword! The balance may be on par with some sort of epee/rapier type thing, but it's really a slashing sword.

But my point was really that swords aren't all that heavy: just that they feel heavy when you're waving them about. I blame some of this on Oblivion's encumbrance system which has often been erroneously described as "lbs" rather than an arbitrary unit of burden perhaps better expressed as "inconveniences": a Dremora sword has more unit inconveniences than a steel sword for example because it has lots of nasty sharp pointy bits and tries to steal your soul while you're carrying it, but its physical weight is probably the same.