DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[REQz] Cape mesh modifying

zmajtolovaj

So, I've released my first mod, Animated Capes, and I've run into a corner of sorts. In the mod I use two meshes: pale_rider's and unavvi's cape mesh, but both clip. Pale_rider's mesh clips with legs when walking and with any weapons equipped in back, Unavi's mesh clips with moving hands. I'm no moddeler and I can do a little retexturing, so I tried applying transparency to Unavi's mesh, which removes the clipping, but then the mesh looks wierd(you can see the empty space between the textures Pic).

So I'm asking if there is anyone outhere who would help me?

It's kind of hard to see anything in that pic. What is it you're trying to do exactly? Merge the two meshes into one?

(I'm dl'ing now to see what you've done so far)

Edit; Nevermind, I see, you're just using two different versions of cape meshes. Is the clipping a problem with the existing meshes or after you edited them?

My advise is adjust bone weights at the point where it clips, should solve most of it. You may want to try pulling the bottom of the cape out more too, give it more of an angle. I've yet to see a cape that doesn't clip in some way, so it may not be perfect.

The main problem is that the Unavi's mesh (the bigger one) is slightly too wide, so it clips with the pauldrons, elbows and longer 1h-weapons. Since I don't know how to edit meshes I tried adding transparency to the texture and an empty space between the red and black part appears. I've now uploaded a new version of the mod and included my "attempt" in the files(look into meshes/clothing/animcapes2/capetransparent.nif).

Also I've noticed that texture file size seems to be either under 1mb or it grows up to 5mb for no apparent reason? Any idea what would have caused this?

Edited by zmajtolovaj

As for the transparent texture, no that's not going to work. If you think of it as looking at a real cloth cape you've essentially cut off the side seams that join the cape together, so yes, it now looks like it's two pieces of material flopping in the wind which is why you see the space.

So, you have a couple of options; either find a new cape mesh that doesn't clip so much, or learn Blender and fix it.

Good luck :D