DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

The Clutterers Guild - #2

InsanitySorrow

Same here, long ago, but Trollf has some good advice, I'll have to take it on my next go around with Blender too. :D

What Trollf said is exactly what I tried: I wanted to create a simple iron pan...... Well, I had made some kind of pot but did not even succeed to put a proper handle to it. :eyeroll:

Maybe one day I'll give it another try ...

What Trollf said is exactly what I tried: I wanted to create a simple iron pan...... Well, I had made some kind of pot but did not even succeed to put a proper handle to it. :eyeroll:

err, no :] That's not what I meant :]

You think that iron pan or pot are simple objects - well, yes they are, but only for the person who knows the basics. For someone who wants to begin an adventure with 3D modeling these are still rather complex objects to start with, so no wonder you stuck there ;]

Let's see:

The most simplest pan has two shapes: plate and handle. Plate, for instance, can be made from cylinder, and handle either from cube or another cylinder as well.

So now the questions (to test you basic knowledge) are:

Can you create a cylinder? Can you rescale it to make it look like a plate? Can you add another cylinder or cube? Can you modify it to receive a handle shape like? Can you rotate and position it correctly in the place where the handle should be? etc., etc. etc.

If any of the answers on such questions is "no, I don't know how to do that", so how you even want to create any more complex objects when you don't know how to handle the most basic shapes? :]

Oh, and I thought, the pan should have been the simplest of all things...

Yes, I created a plate: http://www8.pic-upload.de/08.04.11/jjoumo2earlz.jpg but for the handle I did not create another object but tried to extrude the handle from the pan itself and this is where I failed at last, after many frustrating attempts. You suggest to make the handle as an extra object from a cube, well I did not have the idea to do so. The only basic tutorial for Blender 2.5 that I found showed how to edit objects by extruding. Maybe there are some more tutorials for Blender 2.5 on the web meanwhile, I will try again.

Thank you for your response and your advice! :flower:

Thank you, Washington!

As I mentioned above, I started with Blender 2.5 as I like the user interface much better, its clearer and easier to understand. The tuts you mention refer to earlier versions. I even tried Siikas compendium with 2.49 but got stuck when it came to "UV select mode" which I could find no button for, so I gave this up, too. :whiteflag:

But I will look for newer tutorials for Blender 2.5 and try again, when I have more time, at the moment I am busy with beta-testing.

I think that there isn't that thing also in version I'm using 2.49b.

You don't have to fillow tutorials from a to z, find your own way. It's the harder way, with lots of trial and error, but at least you know what you're doing and why.

But these two tutorials are very nice.

And for animations, Echonite's video is also very nice.

You suggest to make the handle as an extra object from a cube, well I did not have the idea to do so.

Yes, like the pans in real life are usually made ;]

As I mentioned above, I started with Blender 2.5 as I like the user interface much better, its clearer and easier to understand. The tuts you mention refer to earlier versions. I even tried Siikas compendium with 2.49 but got stuck when it came to "UV select mode" which I could find no button for, so I gave this up, too. :whiteflag: But I will look for newer tutorials for Blender 2.5 and try again, when I have more time, at the moment I am busy with beta-testing.

The question is whether you want to learn modeling in Blender or whether you want to make usable objects for Oblivion?

And that's very important one as current NifScripts which allow to import/export models from/for Oblivion aren't compatible with version 2.5+. So even while you learn how to make things in Blender 2.5, you will be forced to use blender 2.49 for importing/exporting objects via obj format to have them in game, which is kinda pointless.

So, to make this short:

Either you use Blender 2.5 and forget about Oblivion, or you use Blender 2.49 and only then you are able to produce usable things for this game.

Alas, as for today, there's no other option. So, the decision is yours ;]

Besides, all tutorials ever written for Blender related to Oblivion modeling are for 2.49 or earlier versions anyway...

I learnt the most simply by playing around in the program and sticking meshes together, or modifying the verts slightly.

I still struggle ot create something more then a basic object from scratch, it is much much easier ot have a mesh to work from that you add to/take away from.....and doing that will get you a feel for the controls in blender. I think ahnyone that dives into blender and tries to make an object from scratch is completely mad, my first blender mesh was sticking a skull on the front of a dwarven shield.

The question is whether you want to learn modeling in Blender or whether you want to make usable objects for Oblivion?

And that's very important one as current NifScripts which allow to import/export models from/for Oblivion aren't compatible with version 2.5+. So even while you learn how to make things in Blender 2.5, you will be forced to use blender 2.49 for importing/exporting objects via obj format to have them in game, which is kinda pointless.

So, to make this short:

Either you use Blender 2.5 and forget about Oblivion, or you use Blender 2.49 and only then you are able to produce usable things for this game.

Alas, as for today, there's no other option. So, the decision is yours ;]

Besides, all tutorials ever written for Blender related to Oblivion modeling are for 2.49 or earlier versions anyway...

I know that I have to use Blender 2.49 to import and export Blender-files to the nif-format, I read about it in the forums. My picture of the simple iron plate is taken in nifskope ;).

Blender development will not stop; Niftools, Nifscripts and Nifskope will be developed further, too. Skyrim will still use the nif-format, so sooner or later it will be possible to import and export nif-files to and from Blender 2.5. So why as a newbie should I start learning a complete new program using an old version? If I were a beginner at the CS I'd not start with CS 1.0 but use CS 1.2 from the beginning.

Moreover I meanwhile discovered a series of video tutorials for Blender 2.5 on the internet (http://www.agenzas-brothers.de/blender_lernen/tutorials.php) and the best of it is, they are in my own language German, so they will be much easier for me to understand than the english tutorials for Blender 2.49.

Thank you all for your kind comments. You made me pick up learning Blender once again. :buddy:

But it will be a long way, let's see where the road takes me and whether the journey will be a short or long one.

I know that I have to use Blender 2.49 to import and export Blender-files to the nif-format, I read about it in the forums. My picture of the simple iron plate is taken in nifskope ;).

But do you also know that any animations and morphs from 2.5 are not possible to import to earlier version, so if you do stuff in 2.5 you are limited to simple and basic things only... so no poses, no bows, no any advanced stuff for you if you decide to use 2.5

Blender development will not stop; Niftools, Nifscripts and Nifskope will be developed further, too. Skyrim will still use the nif-format, so sooner or later it will be possible to import and export nif-files to and from Blender 2.5.

True, but what if later rather than sooner? :]

Well, there are so many changes in 2.5 that it should be considered rather as another and different 3D modeling program instead of "improved" version of 2.49. The point is that 2.49 is not inferior in any way in comparison to 2.5. It's just "slightly" different.

Besides it is far easier for developers to add support for Skyrim for current version of NifScripts than to rewrite almost all code from scratch for the new version of Blender. And I can only presume that NifScripts won't be compatible with 2.5 until it will be out of beta stage. And these will be couple of months maybe? Or another year? Who knows? :] You may want to ask amorilla what are his plans with NifScripts ;]

So why as a newbie should I start learning a complete new program using an old version?

Because you're missing a point maybe? :] As modeling is not about applications, but is all about achieving the goal which is to create something. So if you want to make some simple objects or maybe even some complex renders then indeed 2.5 version may be better for that for you. But if you want to create things for Oblivion, then 2.5 is really a bad choice, as you make things much harder for yourself.

So if you want to make anything for Oblivion, you have many many tutorials for 2.49 version, you have access to 3D classes here on these forums, and many people can help you how to make things that work in game - just make a thread with your questions ;]

And if you choose 2.5 version with many things you are almost on your own....

And I should mention that what you can learn about modeling in 2.49 version, this knowledge is transferable to any other 3D modeling program - only interfaces may vary and maybe some ways of doing things may differ but most principles are the same ;]

And when the time will finally come that NifScripts for new Blender will be made then it will be far easier for you to switch to the new program with all the modeling knowledge you gained in version 2.49 than to start to learn 2.5 now with no support for Oblivion at all and no significant help from current tutorials and community.

Well, it's still your choice :]

If I were a beginner at the CS I'd not start with CS 1.0 but use CS 1.2 from the beginning.

CS 1.0 and 1.2 are practically the same. Besides, do you know why 1.0 version is still available on Bethesda's page to download? :] Well, because 1.2 version has some bugs and you still need to use 1.0 for certain things ;p

And the case with Blender is completely different - version 2.5 has almost everything different than 2.49 - interface, animation system, keyboard shortcuts - really as I mentioned earlier, it's not an improved version of 2.49, it's more like completely different application.

Another addition to the Clutters Guild.

Make sure to read the readme, especially in the Known Issues section!!!

Bone Throne

(Still waiting for approval of an Admin!) (Once approved, I or a admin will/can remove this note here!)

Have fun with it and its my first addition to the Clutters Guild :clap:

Edit:

Did the strike out on for file pending approval!

And some new stuff from me too :)

First, a collection of little pots:

gallery_443_98_142557.png

I've made them static as I see more uses for them that way. They're vanilla meshes (the expert mortar) with vanilla textures. I like them anyhow.

Second, some little stools I made in blender:

gallery_443_98_198371.png

They have furniture markers and there are two textures (both vanilla), one greenish, and one whiter and cleaner.

I've PMed the file link to Khett, I seem to remember she was designated the collator of files and whatnot.

• 1 month later...

I guess I should have seen that coming. :lmao:

Here's some stuff from the original list that still doesn't exist, as far as I know:

• figurines of varying kinds (painted porcelain, rough clay, whatever) (not shrunk stock statues)
  • coiled rope, thin and thick
  • stuff that hangs from ceilings - windchimes, hanging baskets, etc.
  • boot flask
  • tea light candles (votive holders would be nice too) (static)
  • stock style-matched teapots/cups
  • tailoring mannequin - like an armor dummy, but for sewing not smashing, and in male & female forms
  • curtains (some variety from the anvil curtains) (static)
  • simple flute
  • tobacco pipe
  • various sea shells
  • fishing rod
  • astrolabe

Here's some other random stuff:

• simple mechanical parts and tools (springs, wrenches, gears, chains)
  • uniquely-shaped candles/light fixtures/sconces
  • children's toys

There`s various resources for blacksmithing,ie,anvils,tools etc,how about woodworking and pottery,finished articles from both crafts are all over the game world but where are they made :lol:

How about a potters wheel and early treadle type lathes and drills,there must be reference photos of these things around.I`m no modeller myself but I would`nt have thought these would be too complicated to make...maybe :rofl: