DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Computers

Vereta

Yeah this one. The guys here helped me put together a cart on Newegg and walked me through building mine. I didn't know the first thing about it, only thing I could do in a PC was swap graphics cards, but I managed to build my new one in just a couple hours. Ended up being a lot like building with Legos. ;)

I looked at your link... What are you planning to do with the computer?

Couple of things I was wondering about...

How much do you know about computers and water cooling? If you don't know much about hardware and if you aren't comfortable working inside one, water cooling is a definate NO NO.... Those are recommended for people that do EXTREME overclocking and pretty much can take a system apart blindfolded....

If you're looking to build your own, I can give you some recommendations for hardware and help with building.

#1. Save the money first. It would be pointless to get together parts now if its going to take you a year to get the money, cus by then you can get better parts. So plan a budget first and get it BEFORE lining up parts.

#2. Make a list of the parts you will need (Graphics card, CPU, etc) and a list of what you can salvage (Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, etc). If you want a new mouse or keyboard, throw it into the list of needs

#3. Build your own. You save money and can ensure best compatibility and performance for your buck. Plus there is no feeling like knowing you made that beast sitting on the desk next to you. It is the best computer in the world, period.

#4. Ask around and always get second opinions on parts. There are many of us computer gurus here, so this shouldn't be an issue, but as an overall life lesson, it needs to be mentioned.

Computers are my life, so I take building them very seriously. :yes:

I didn`t feel that I could add much to what has already been said above,all excellant advice,till one thing occured to me. When I became interested in the nuts and bolts end of computers,and never before having opened one up,I rooted around and came up with a few junk machines. I then began exploring inside to see how things were held in place and most easily removed/replaced.Most of what I had was outdated but I was able to get the basic idea.At the same time I read everything I could find and picked everyone`s brains that had knowledge on the subject.When someone I knew asked if I could help replace her hard drive, I was a little nervous but it all went well amd in less than an hour she had her system up and running again.It`s getting hard to find machines to practice on.When I did it people could still throw out their old junk in the trash,I just picked them up on trash day where they sat by the curb. Now we have to dispose of electronica "properly".

I didn`t feel that I could add much to what has already been said above,all excellant advice,till one thing occured to me. When I became interested in the nuts and bolts end of computers,and never before having opened one up,I rooted around and came up with a few junk machines. I then began exploring inside to see how things were held in place and most easily removed/replaced.Most of what I had was outdated but I was able to get the basic idea.At the same time I read everything I could find and picked everyone`s brains that had knowledge on the subject.When someone I knew asked if I could help replace her hard drive, I was a little nervous but it all went well amd in less than an hour she had her system up and running again.It`s getting hard to find machines to practice on.When I did it people could still throw out their old junk in the trash,I just picked them up on trash day where they sat by the curb. Now we have to dispose of electronica "properly".

While the hardware may have been outdated, it still all goes together the same way. The route you took was a very good one.

Another consideration when building a machine is, figure out the most demanding application you want to run, and build toward that. Also, buying 'the latest and greatest' hardware can be significantly more expensive, for relatively little performance gain over 'last generation' technology. I built my machine several months ago. Spent about 850 on parts, and reused some I had.

I Purchased:

ATI 4890 1gig vid card.

MSI system board. (which I wouldn't recommend, as I didn't notice that it was set up for QUAD SLI.... which I will never use.)

AMD PHENOM II 965 Black.

4 gig DDR3 RAM.

650 Watt powersupply. (dont remember the manufacturer.... but, this is one of the KEY pieces of your system. DO NOT SKIMP.)

Had to get an additional IDE controller as well, as my system board only came with one, and I have four devices. (max of two per controller)

I re-used:

Case. (was given to me by a friend.... nice case too....)

Keyboard.

Mouse.

Sound Blaster Audigy II sound card.

Monitor.

DVD burner. (Had to purchase this when my last one died, year and some change ago.

Three harddrives.

A similar system using the then 'current' hardware would have been closer to 1500 bucks...... I love my new machine. Runs anything I want it to flawlessly.

I am also running XP 64 Pro. I didn't want to 'leftgrade' to Vista, or 7. I want my hardware accelerated sound card to DO what it was designed to. Vista and 7 make that a bit more interesting.