DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Collector's Editions

vometia

I thought I'd split this from the Dragon Age: Oranges thread since it's getting rather off-topic, but it deserves a discussion of its own, I reckon. As already suggested, I'm a real sucker for collector's editions, especially if they include groovy stuff for not much extra (as opposed to the ones that cost a lot extra for nothing more than a slightly different box).

Well I'm not going to be suckered into another CE again, I don't care how well they try to dress it up. I have a soft spot for cloth maps, but the one that came with DA is complete crap. Nothing on par with the quality and craftsmanship of my cloth Ultima maps. The edges are all frayed and the thing was well on its way to falling apart before I even got the box fully opened. The stupid clock that came with the FO3 CE is pure junk. So yeah, not getting pulled down this road again. The Oblivion CE was the last one I've seen that had remotely decent stuff in it.

For some reason the CE version of Dragon Age eluded my attention, but I can see why you'd be unimpressed by that. I've occasionally had odds and sods that are supposed to be some sort of extra cool limited edition stuff only to find that they're such low quality that I wished I hadn't bothered, in which case I'm glad I missed out on the frayed cloth map. The FO3 clock is also infamous in that it was extremely badly made and often didn't even work, from what I recall: for a while I felt a bit irked that the non-U.S. editions of the CE didn't include it, but at least it's saved me the bother of having something that was frankly rubbish but that I felt obliged to hang on to. The UK version had the rather nice lunchbox, a cool reminder of some in-game tat, with a reasonably good quality book, the bobblehead and some other odds and sods. I actually rather liked it.

For the more traditional TES series, I did go and find the CE version of Oblivion after I already owned it as I just fancied something a bit nicer. It's not especially exciting, but the enclosed Septim (I mean the coin thing) was a nice touch. Perhaps not as nice as the ordinator in the Morrowind CE, but since they were changing hands for upwards of £100 last time I looked I haven't followed that one up.

I suspect both of those were released at what was probably a bit of a low point in CE releases: around the mid-late 2000s, it seemed that the CE was little more than the standard release of a game in the '90s. But then again, some of the standard releases in the 2000s were atrocious, probably hitting a nadir with the late releases of Morrowind, consisting of shrink-wrapped discs shoved into an otherwise empty DVD case--they weren't even mounted properly and there was no manual or map enclosed. I commented at the time that the pirated editions were probably better quality. So at least the CE saved people from that. In contrast, the edition of The Witcher I ended up with (can't remember its name and it's buried somewhere) was quite nice in that it included various extras including a print edition of a related novel, though it was let down by a rather cheaply produced slipcase. They aren't the only ones, though: even the likes of the Folio Society sometimes make a mess of the packaging, though ideally it wouldn't happen at all.

I think that collector's editions are improving, however: a recent example that stood out for me was Bioshock 2, with its huge box containing, as well as the obligatory art book, a 12" vinyl recording of the soundtrack, which I thought was a really nice retro touch. No figurine, sadly, but I think they learnt from previous experience that they tended to break in transit. My only gripe, which is subjective anyway, is that the enclosed posters seemed a little underwhelming and I would've preferred to see the in-game ones instead. But overall it was a really pretty good effort.

Right now I have the Fallout New Vegas collector's edition on order: I guess I'll find out shortly if it's worth the extra, but it certainly looks pretty good judging by the press-releases.

I'm finding myself increasingly likely to order the CE by default if it's available, even for franchises I'm not otherwise completely into, such as the upcoming release of Gothic 4. I figure that if it's not going to bankrupt me, it's better to get the CE than think "I wish I'd ordered it" afterwards, though I guess it helps to be braced for some disappointment along the way. But I'd rather be disappointed by something I have than something I don't!

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoy getting CE or LE versions of games, like FO New vegas as much as I want to pre order, I know that in modding or even expansions there'll be better gear than the pre order stuff. Moot point really. I get the CE for different things on the DA:O LE I got it for many reasons, I love the tin cases they all have now. Also to me the "tattered" map though poor quality to some, could be a subtle way of showing." This tattered map displays the state in which the world is in. In retrospect you have a world in the midst of a war, you do not expect to have a pristine map in your hands. Maybe it's just me and how I see how they did things.

Guild wars CE gave you some nice stuff, I wish I could get the prophecies CE but that right now is going for 400 US dollars+ right now. I'm NOT paying that much for a game. However the CE included artwork, soundtrack, pins(nightfall) mousepad, and special dance emotes ingame, as well as some in game minipets(I want my kuunavang back... >.< GAH 100k+ pet) and sometimes unique weapons(awesome for new characters) A small novelty really.

I like the AC2 CE pack, nice large tin 8" eizo figure, and a blue ray disc. Longstory short, I get CE or I try to get them because of the content, especially if it's rare and useful in game or just a trinket I want. The one thing with CE I am not pleased with is the paying 130+ for it. I can understand 100 dollars(still need to get my claws on the SC2 LE) but when you're going towards paying double or triple the price of the normal game, things kind of get fuzzy. Unless it has some incredible things in it i don't want it. I know there's a small number of games coming out that i want the CE version of, one has a pewter dragon in it.

The other thing that i'm amused/mildly upset over and this I've seen many times. Ultimate additions. Companies will release all the dlc, then they'll go and release the Ultimate edition, all dlc and expansions for LESS than what you paid for... like 50 bucks for it, when you paid upwards towards 70+ total for all dlc. At times I don't mind, it saves me money in the long run. But even so... it's mildly troublesome.

I am a sucker for CE's and LE's, however I do know sometimes, the newer ones arn't worth it, some of the companies have been cutting corners, saying it comes with the soundtrack, then you read the fine print after getting it home (they hide the fact until you buy it) that its DL only. Others, like the God of War 3, were just way to expensive for what you were getting. That being said I have the FO 3 CE on pre-order, the Assassins Creed Brotherhood CE on pre-order, and am waiting to see if there is going to be a pre-order for Two Worlds 2 and Diablo 3.

I happen to like extras DVDs or "Making of..." content (figurines are nice too). I only get CEs of games I would like to have the extra content for. I have the two Mass Effect games as collector's editions, and while there were no big items of note (like my Resistance 2's figurine, FO3's Bobblehead, or even Alan Wake's case that looks like a book) they both had hardbound art books and bonus DVDs.

I try to stay away from "Legendary" editions because of the ridiculous price tag and often shoddy extras (Halo 3's infamous "cat helmet"). The only one that had ever tempted me was the Call of Duty game that game with the working night vision goggles, but I still didn't bite.

I too have Fallout: New Vegas CE on pre-order mostly because I have FO3 CE, and I like to collect sets. I suppose I can give my opinion on that shortly as well.

CE books are nice. I'm tempted to swing by one store on my way home to get the pre order bonus of the new fallout CE I should.. but I HATE the store.. they're idiots. On a side note, is it worth while getting the pre order stuff for fallout?

Edited by Vouivre

Not a game, but a book: I was astonished just now when searching for the Unseen Library editions of Pratchett's discworld novels (the UL editions were quite nice hardcover versions, quarter-bound in reprocessed leather and with nice paper: decent quality versions for fans, in other words). ISTR the first 18 novels sold in sets of three for either £20 or £25 each, so about seven or eight quid a book. I just noticed The Colour Of Magic being advertised on ebay for... £200. :heyyou: And it's not a one off, either. Of course that isn't necessarily the price it's actually changing hands for, but even so... For me, books are things to read, not an investment, but it's kind of cool that they're apparently worth insane amounts now. But also mildly uncomfortable.

LOL thats like me that the Dragonlance Chronicles, they released a leather version of it and I just hadd to buy it... soooooo pretty!

Yeah, I have a particular "thing" about nice leather-bound books. Failing that, collector's editions will do, as you mentioned a couple of posts back: and today Amazon tempted me with the CE guides for New Vegas and Fable 3. How successfully do you think I resisted? Go on, I'll give you three guesses! Well, one guess is enough. :salute:

Resistence is futile!

That said, when I get some money/amazon money.. I'm getting the DA:O ce for my ps3, which is what I wanted to get but got pc solely because I know there'll be mods. That said, i plan on snagging the ce for New Vegas one way or another. I'll be quite surprised if they do not have it at best buy or an extra copy at another game stop. I try to get the CE of a game that the contents look good+ has something useful/worthwhile.

@Vom, I am guessing you have both on the way LOL, I figure I will pick up the CE for the FO NV guide when I grab my game, as for Fable 3, I wont even be picking that up till they release the PC version, which was delayed. Much like Fable 2, no buy if not on PC.

I am so expected at EB here, that they have started telling ME when a CE version of a game is out LOL

LOL I dunno, you do some nice art yourself, you could always make your own :cookie: Still have the one you drew of our 2 gaia avatars lol, tis cute! :wave:

K, so on to CE's... I am weak... I just got Ys Seven's Ultimate Edition... for the pretty cloth map, shiny art book (which has chibi's in it !! sooooo cute!) and the soundtrack CD... sooooo weak :drool:

Sometimes those CE's just arnt worth it... but if you must have the shinies XD, much like the shinies I get with FO:NV or even the stuff for AC Brotherhood XD... so many shines, I will say I can usually ignore the CEs that offer nothing but in game stuff, concidering most of it now has to be DLed. I think if I spend the money to get the physical copy, they should spend the mere penies it costs now to drop the bonus stuff on a disc.