DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Help with cluttering the walls

ell46

I'm probably getting ahead of myself while doing CS tutorial basics companion 1 and cluttering my new basement.

I want to hang shields on the walls, they look great in the CS but they keep falling off in the game can anyone tell me how to make them stick :lol: or point me in the direction of a tut telling me how. I assume it's to do with meshes and havoc, but I haven't a clue what to do if I click on the havoc button.

To do this is very simple, but it might sound scary hard at first, but I'd wager you can handle it. You will need NifSkope and BSA Commander

Once you have those installed, use BSA Commander to unpack your shield meshes. For a How To, see Section 04 HERE

You don't need to change texture paths or anything because the meshes will just draw from the still packed BSA. But you will need to create a folder structure for yourself in the meshes folder like Data\meshes\Elle\YourMod\armor\Shield.nif

Once your meshes are in your data folder run NifSkope and LOAD the first shield.

Then follow these steps reprinted by Khettienna:

in Block List expand all nodes (click the > on every branch)

search for: 4 bhkRigidBody and left click on it

press F3 or go to menu View -> Block Details

in Block Details search for "Motion System" and change it to MO_SYS_FIXED

in Block Details search for "Quality Type" and change it to MO_QUAL_FIXED

(not necessary) in Block Details search for "Layer" and change it OL_STATIC

(not necessary) in Block Details search for "Layer Copy" and change it to OL_STATIC

save/overwrite the NIF file and close NifSkope

open CS, load your plugin, make a new Static and as a model choose the NIF file that was just created in NifSkope

With these new static versions of the shields you'll be able to place them anywhere and they won't fall. Let me know if you have questions. :lol:

I suspect this is indeed a bit ahead of the "basics" stuff, but I'd be interested to hear a solution to this too: I know it's possible to turn off Havok in the nif, which entails creating a new model etc, but I usually end up precariously balancing stuff all over the place and consequently getting "clutter fatigue". Having stuff just stay put and behaving itself would be quite nice!

The Havok button itself just activates physics for whatever objects you have selected: so it's useful for seeing how they'll behave in game, but it won't fix them in place, unfortunately. But it's always worth using for moveable objects prior to release to make sure they're in fairly stable positions...

Edit: post clash again! :lol: I'd hoped there was an easier way (or lazier, if you prefer). I wonder how Decorator Assistant does it...?

I think I can mange that, I'll have a go tomorrow, well today actually :lol: but I need sleep first.

I really didn't fancy doing so many shields with Decorators Assistant they slide down the wall too fast.

Thanks for the encouragement darkstone, I'm sure you are right these things take ages the first couple of times, then it's a piece of cake, I hope :stare:

Well done! You should consider packing up your shields and releasing them as a static shield resource XD

I was wondering about that, if you think it would be OK I'll do it. When I've converted them all, I'll contact you again if that is OK, as I'm not sure how to pack them all together.

I need to convert a few more as we had family round for the usual Sunday lunch, this is the first time me time I've had today.

One question, I thought I read somewhere that if I used F it would work as the Find option so I could search for 'shields' but it doesn't work and even clicking Edit >>> Find doesn't work, have I misunderstood?

I was wondering about that, if you think it would be OK I'll do it. When I've converted them all, I'll contact you again if that is OK, as I'm not sure how to pack them all together.

It would make a great resource and an easy release. Feel free to PM me when you're ready and I will walk you through releasing. :blush: