DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Is there a manual for CS?

davethewave

Well, I tried to make the Gecko thing work, and it was a flop- I did what you and the instructions said, but when I try to run it, an error message comes up that says:

"Windows cannot find 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\javaw.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

This looks like Java to me - make sure you've got the latest version installed.

Right click on the TES4Gecko.exe icon, click on Properties and make sure these fields are correct like this;

Target: C:\Windows\System32\javaw.exe -Xmx1200m -jar "C:\Elder Scrolls\TES4Gecko\TES4Gecko.jar"

Start In: C:\Windows\System32

Where this part - "C:\Elder Scrolls\TES4Gecko\TES4Gecko.jar" - is the directory of where you put Gecko. Typically you can toss it into the Oblivion directory. It should never be in temp.

I can't get it to work, I'm beyond frustrated. About to give up on the whole mod thing...

If you upload your .esp to a PM for me, I'll take a look and set you on the right path as I said before. It's sometimes tough to advise students blind. :)

That said, students who set out to mod a specific mod they have in mind rather than following the recommended classwork are often frustrated because you are not mastering skills you're dabbling to get a goal met. You might think you have no use for house modding, but you'd be stunned by your CS skills at the end of the CS Basics class and once you have the skill, you can mod anything. Consider joining an actual class and following through rather than breezing through a tutorial; you say you've "read" them but you clearly haven't processed the information as most of your questions and issues are things covered in the first 2 Enclave courses. :salute:

If you upload your .esp to a PM for me, I'll take a look and set you on the right path as I said before. It's sometimes tough to advise students blind. :)

That said, students who set out to mod a specific mod they have in mind rather than following the recommended classwork are often frustrated because you are not mastering skills you're dabbling to get a goal met. You might think you have no use for house modding, but you'd be stunned by your CS skills at the end of the CS Basics class and once you have the skill, you can mod anything. Consider joining an actual class and following through rather than breezing through a tutorial; you say you've "read" them but you clearly haven't processed the information as most of your questions and issues are things covered in the first 2 Enclave courses. :salute:

I appreciate your time and assistance so far, and I've cooled off a bit.

I do understand your point exactly from the paragraph, I am admittedly avoiding doing this at all costs (and couldn't tell you why)... I know it would benefit me greatly. Maybe it's the time involved...

Whatever, I'm sure I'll end up doing it- I've followed all your other advice.

1. Did you install java as indicated a few posts ago?

A: Yes.

2. What directory did you unzip the TES4Gecko files into?

A: The Bethesda Softworks directory.

3. Did you update the shortcut as above? What happens?

A: Yes- still error message: "unable to access jar file...."

4. What OS are you on?

A: Windows Vista 32 bit.

Make sure Oblivion (or Gecko) is not installed in Program Files. Make sure you have User Access Control off, and being your computer's Administrator helps. Triple check that you've copied the address correctly - I actually copied the location strait from Windows Explorer.

Thanks- I'll be trying that soon. It is in program files... Where should it be?

Thanks- I'll be trying that soon. It is in program files... Where should it be?

To avoid UAC issues in Vista, and Win7, install the game just about anywhere OUTSIDE program files..... Creating a directory specifically for your games is the best bet. C:\Games\Oblivion would be grand, and avoid many issues. Keep in mind, you have to actually REINSTALL the game, you cant just move stuff there, and expect it to work. Some of the utilities need to registry entrys that happen on install to function correctly.

That Said..... You can back up your install, (just copy it elsewhere temporarily, make sure you COPY it, not move it.) Uninstall the game, then, reinstall to the new location, just installing the base game, SI, and KotN if you have them.... and then copy over your backed up copy of your original install, and just overwrite what's in the new folder. You will have everything you did before, in the new location, without having to individually reinstall all of your mods.

Might have to reinstall some of the utilities though..... that will be a 'try them and see if they work' proposition though.

Although it wasn't me who asked, thanks for the tip - that should come in quite handy. I've tried to work around it on Windows 7 by giving myself full access to any directories that need modifying, but it still has a nasty habit of insisting that certain programs run as admin, causing me to lose stuff like mouse configuration and so on in the process, so I'll be giving this a try. I guess it's also a good reason to use a secondary disc now that the C: drive is filling up rather than using my RAID card thingy to simply have a bigger C: drive. But that's another matter (why can't I ever stay on topic? :rolleyes:)