DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Tutorial Suggestions

WhoGuru

No need to spin the level to line it up, that's the whole point of a North Marker. Layout your level and figure out where North should be relative to your main entrance, then place the North Marker and rotate it to face the direction you want to be "North". Voila, your interior is now consistent as the players map will display North as whatever direction your North Marker is pointing.

WT

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey, I'd like to learn how to texture specific materials: Forged steel, cloth, leather, fur; that kind of thing.

I've found many online tutorials online that deal with texturing for web design, but they often have "baked in" lighting which make them less useful for game art. I thought it would be nice to have a collection of short, useful tutorials on how to make textures commonly needed for custom assets. It would be an invaluable archive for beginner modders.

Although I'm still new to modding, there are some useful things I've learned that I'd be happy to contribute. For example, in blender, baking normal maps from floating geometry, displacement maps, and other normal maps. Very useful for high quality, low poly assets.

Anyway, specifically I need to learn cloth, leather (with stitches), and forged metal. any help will be greatly appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Hi peeps

When playing Oblivion, I really enjoyed creating my own arrows using the existing models and textures. I would simply create a copy of the model and texture, play around with the texture, open up Nifskope, make sure the texture and model were linked and then install………… do you think I can remember how to do that? Its been such a long time!

:salute:

Witty

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Skyrim - Putting models together into a single model:

I'd like to request a tutorial that teaches us how to extract several models from Skyrim, load them all into a 3D editing program, then saving it and exporting it back to Skyrim. I know this has been done in a way, but what I specifically would like to request is how I can, for example, extract an apple and a basket from Skyrim and combine those items into something like this:

Image:

14133-1-1333279997.jpg

See that basket with apples? The crate with tomatoes? I wanna do stuff like that too >_<

Skyrim - A custom courier tutorial:

I found only 3 courier tutorials and none worked for me...

1) Video tutorial which edits the vanilla courier quest = not usable due to mod compatibility issues

2) Tutorial for multiple custom couriers - too complicated and all over the place, eventually had to hop back and forth between steps, didn't work...

3) Super simple courier tutorial which is unfinished, lacks the scripts...

Soo.... does anyone at all know how to do this? I think it would benefit us all if we want our epic quests to start via courier! :D

Give me a short background of the courier you are planning to use.

In other words, is he a vanilla courier that you want to add a script to?

Is he a created npc/courier special to that particular quest?

I am planning to do something similar for some of my quests and

will share what I figure out.

• 1 year later...

Is there any kind soul out there who could do a tut on how to set up a scene and link that scene into actions within SKYRIM?
To explain: 2 mod added npc children in a mod which requires Hearthfire, who have interior and exterior schedules, but when outside they only interract with idle markers passively and don't talk to each other which is pretty unnatural for kids.
What I would like to set up is a simple scene along the lines of the ones in Hearthfire for the Riverwood kids.
"I'm bored, let's play tag!"
"OK. You're it"
followed by first kid legging it off to a marker, in a small patrol of same, with the other sprog in hot pursuit, both kids laughing etc. And running at the right speed visually. (I can get a kid to run a circuit but they seem to be attempting the world land speed record when doing so).
The whole shebang to run randomly once or twice a day when the sprogs schedules put them outside sandboxing and maybe only required if the player is in eyesight although that bit probably isn't a necessity.

I've pulled apart the one in Riverwood, and the similar ones in other places and try as I might I can't figure out the finer details of this, for a start I can't work out why, in Riverwood and I think in Rorikstead, the kid following seems to go into an adoptable kid alias for this and, when I tried that, the second kid in my test literally just went mute completely and I never managed to get the second kid to chase the first even when making them always follow the first kid as part of their sandbox outside package (which wouldn't really be that clever anyway but I thought it was worth a try).

Then do such already "in game" conversationals need to be added to an SEQ or not?

I and I'm sure many others are fairly capable (even though occasionally it needs drumming into MY head with a large sledgehammer) when it comes to adapting stuff but its trying to get this simple scene plus actions working in the first place that's defeating me.

If such a tut could be done by some kind and helpful modding genius it could be adapted to other situations I am sure, maybe random small conversations between a mod added husband and wife in a small village followed by husband saying he's "too busy right now" or something and both parties getting back to whatever they were doing etc etc and would greatly help to add life to mod added settlements both for me and for other modders. I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds the creation kit wiki difficult to follow for things like this (or at least I hope I'm not the only one lol).

Edited by Bethra

• 4 weeks later...

Well I managed to do a dialogue scene, not for the kids but for 2 mod added NPC's to actually have a conversation. The dialogue is working, the aliases are working. I just have no clue how to trigger it to run. Bit dumb on scripting lol.  Can anyone recommend the best and simplest method to just get some NPC dialogue working? Not interacting with the player, this is just between themselves to add some life. The tuts on the wiki relating to this seem to be adding it to an already existing quest which presumably has the starting kick already in it as I can't see anything in the tut on scenes which defines how to kick start one into working. Would it be best to do a trigger box over a good sized area for the player to trigger it when entering the area? Or is there a better way?  Any help appreciated here.

• 4 weeks later...

I hear you Bethra.  I just do not know how to fully answer. 

I am studiying it :rtfm:

I wasted 3 months of design on a failed project, so I am behind

on everything. 

To partially answer any thing with SEQ, I believe you should avoid them.

I used the box to start the quest on game startup and it worked

until a pach came out.  I think it is silly to use them if I have to fix them.

I use Story Manager to start all my quests / dialogue.

It is better on resources to only activate it when its time to start the

quest and is easier to use once I show how to use it.

If you want - I can use your .esp as a testing lab so  I can get this to work:

Event OnStoryDialogue(Location akLocation, ObjectReference akActor1, ObjectReference akActor2)

Just a thought.

Edited by Ashenfire

• 1 year later...

I still have a tutorial to publish here but, with the changes that happened here, I don't know where I can put it. Could somebody give me some pointers, please? Thank you! :D

The tutorial is about how to generate lod for custom world spaces in Skyrim.

I would suggest under the Level Design category.