DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Tutorial Suggestions

WhoGuru

This is a bit of one On the Wiki.... Is this what you had in mind? Or, would you like something a bit more detailed? (not saying I know squat about it though.....)

On a side note, perhaps a pinned thread with definitions of various terms/acronyms that are commonly used. (for example, what is a normal map? an alpha channel, is there an ABnormal map? or a beta channel?) all this and more! coming up next?

This thread was edited with the "Use full editor" option. Just as a quick test, to see if it works for me. FF 3.5.2 here.

Ok I am going to claim the Glossary idea of HeyYou's, I have searched and found a couple of small lists so a singlular, larger list would be a welcome addition I think.

Oh yes. :coffee: And make that...TES4Edit...not Gecko since I`m already working through that one in the CS thread.

Gecko one is gonna take a while to finish becuase basicially there is a tut for every option it has. So becuase of that I won't be claiming TES4 Edit anytime soon, but I am sure someone will :D

That`s cool IS, It`s not like I don`t have a 100 things to do already, and an equal # of PDFs to read through.:coffee:

I'd like to request two region editor tutorials. The first would be the basics of all of the region editor tabs and controls (such as what the heck does the "Override" check box do?) including a listing of which ones no longer work in the new CS (e.g. grass). The second is an intermediate-to-advanced tutorial on region generation for generic landscaping. Specifically:

• An idea of how the relationships between the distance radius between various statics works for quick placement of rocks, shrubs, trees and other outdoor statics for terrain generation over large areas. (This is one of the most powerful features of the CS, but nothing currently exists in terms of a decent tutorial about it - unless I missed one already here, that is.)

• How to add new region landscape types to the region editor. (I know this can be done, just not the specifics of how.)

• Information on Speedtree and how it effects tree placement (if at all) in the region editor.

And, thanks for the excellent tutorials in all the other ares so far.

Great work folks!

:blush:

The first tut suggestion sounds like a good one :blush:, The second one maybe harder to come by becuase not everyone owns or can afford speedtree which means less chance of getting the tut made.

There are free third party tools for manipulating Speedtree - not many though, and I'll have to go back over the links I have collected in my wanderings to locate exactly which one(s). (I believe I ran into one at TESNexus, iirc.)

I think what would be most useful (possibly even as part of the first tutorial) would be a breakdown on how to create new region presets within the editor. That would allow folks to use the vanilla assets in Oblivion in many new and interesting ways, as well as showing those working with new assets how to get them into the editor.

What exactly is "script that makes ai work"?

NPC AI does not involve scripting, it involves creating packages. Unless I am missing something in translation?

Well yes, some of it does, like how Sulteric Drums made his companions use specific ai's for dismounting and riding horses, another example is making a npc undress and go for a swim and then dress upon getting out of the water. Also for making the npc do a certain special at a specific part of a quest and only to do it once.

• 4 months later...

I have a few projects brewing that I think could really benefit from knowing how to use OBSE's arrays. I have a basic understanding of what they do, but I'm having a hard time bridging the gap between my general scripting "comfort zone" and the OBSE documentation. I also can't seem to find any tutorials on OBSE's array functions that don't read like Greek, only Pluggy's.

Is using arrays overly ambitious for someone without coding expertise beyond Ob modding? If not, is there anyone out there willing and able to mash up a tutorial on the subject?

Please & thank you! unworthy.gif

What exactly is "script that makes ai work"?

NPC AI does not involve scripting, it involves creating packages. Unless I am missing something in translation?

:thumbup: Well you don't need scripting for AI per-say...but i frequently use scripts to control WHAT packages my AI picks.

e.g. giving orders to my companion critters. If that's what the OP wants I might be able to help.

• 1 month later...

I have a few projects brewing that I think could really benefit from knowing how to use OBSE's arrays. I have a basic understanding of what they do, but I'm having a hard time bridging the gap between my general scripting "comfort zone" and the OBSE documentation. I also can't seem to find any tutorials on OBSE's array functions that don't read like Greek, only Pluggy's.

Is using arrays overly ambitious for someone without coding expertise beyond Ob modding? If not, is there anyone out there willing and able to mash up a tutorial on the subject?

Please & thank you! unworthy.gif

Years ago I had great success with a Pluggy Array, thanks to the help from one of its creators. I don't know OBSE array functions, but if I can get to my mod that uses those arrays ( I'm working towards it at my snail's pace ) then I'd love to write up a tut for you, Khett. On the other hand, by that time, I'll probably be reading your tutorial. :smug: So this is a seconding of Khett's suggestion, and not an announcement that one will be written - yet. :smug:

• 1 month later...

Speaking of arrays, I'm building an area of effect script that catches references, stores them in an array and processes each one for showing in a menu, with the new while control functions in obse 18.

If anyone is interested in sharing knowledge about array, pm me.

Edited by ulrim

• 1 month later...

Once the tutorial is finished (ex:Basic importing of external resources into the CS - [Finished]), can someone create a link to the tutorial? Currently, the links in the summary of this thread point to back to this thread.

I looked under tutorials and I can't the "Basic importing of external resources into the CS".

Edited by speedyg869

• 3 weeks later...

Based on a need I have at the moment, and not being able to find any relevant info either here or on the CS Wiki, I'm hoping someone knowledgeable could create a "Leveled Lists for Dummies" tutorial. Looking at LL's and what little info I could find, it's all just very confusing.

Things like;

- How to create new ones. (And yes, I know there are three types. A write-up of each type would be helpful.)

- How to add your LL's to existing LL's.

- How to add items/creatures to existing LL's.

...etc .. you get the picture.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

I've read over several pages of the CS wiki - and it made me remember that as for creating houses and such - this site was far more helpful.

So returning to see if anything about LL had been added I see the answer is no. I sure would appreciate a tutorial that covered the basics of:

Understanding leveled lists

How to alter or add to leveled lists

How to make leveled lists easy to combine

What settings to put on creatures and items that will affect the leveled lists

Common mistakes to avoid

Perhaps instead of creating a whole monster mod or item list overhaul as a graduating exam - make a patch to a common leveled list mod - an item to add to a leveled list or something.

thanks for considering.

Note: Merged from seperate topic into Tutorial Suggestions ~ IS

• 6 months later...

Ok...I need some info on an area that hasn`t been addressed much here...if at all. Rigging vert groups to bones...scary...I know....one of the reasons I would like to see some info on it here.

What I`m doing is trying to make a daedra heart, beat,...simply sizing up and sizing down looks lamer than i care to retell. In order to give it a really groovey look in action I need to make the right and left atriums "beat" independently...that is in sequence but not together...so...my thinking is to use two bones rigged to two seperate vert groups corresponding to the areas of the heart that need to move. I can do the animation sequences but I don`t know how to assign two seperate vert groups to two seperate bones in the same mesh...and pose them seperately and independently.............Thank you.

• 1 month later...

@don: In 3dsmax, I would use morphers to achieve what you want. Simple and effective. All you need is two modified state of the heart that you want your end results to look like. Once the morpher modifier is applied on the original model, you assign each state to its own slot and animate to your liking.

@Tigersong: IIRC, north markers are to orient/align interiors with exteriors.

Tip: Make your interior layout first, then select all and spin to align with exterior. Trying to snap together two tileset pieces at odd angles is extremely difficult, let alone an entire basement, castle, cave or whatever. You can clutter after.