DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Tavern Tales: Come on in and have a drink! Part VII

WillieSea

"It's warm." Malori thought. "I must be dead." That thought made Malori open her eyes. Bewildered, she found herself sitting on top of the statue of Akatosh, in the Imperial City's Temple of the One! She screamed, and nearly lost her balance, illiciting mystified looks from the confused citizens below. "What in Stendarr's name am I doing up here!?" she thought, scanning for a way down, opting to slide down the statue's back, not the most graceful way, but didn't have the chance of falling to the cobblestones below in a possibly fatal whoosh.

Safely back on the ground, Malori made a hasty retreat to the Elven Gardens district, glad to be home. Something, though, didn't feel right. Not much time was wasted on that line of thought, as the rumbling in her stomach reminded her she hadn't had a decent meal in gods know how long, which hastened her way to the modest room she kept at Luther's Boardinghouse.

"Ah, I was beginning to wonder if ye'd up and moved t' skyrim, Mal! rent's 3 months late!" Luther bellowed as Malori walked in. "And god's blood, child! Take a bath, yer stinkin' up the place and ye've on'y bin 'ere 30 seconds!" Malori went beet red as she caught a horrid stench. "Sorry Lu, heh, time slipped away from me." and with that, Malori disappeared up the stairs, and into the bath.

Serenity couldn't believe her eyes when she saw a short, strawberry blonde wood elf, in tattered clothes, carrying her brother's blade! She choked on her tomato soup, which made the proprietor tease the girl about her personal hygiene. She decided she'd have to confront the little waif about it when she came back down. "Sorry 'bout tha'." Luther smiled, tossing a napkin to Serenity. "Kid's been missing for four months now. Strange girl."

Serenity grunted and went back to her soup, contemplating just how she'd rip the girl limb from limb if what she'd thought turned out to be true.

• 1 month later...

Malori sighed contentedly as she settled into the bath, it's scented waters steaming and clouding her mind. Before the trance-like relaxation began, however, she began dutifully, and obsessively scrubbing away the filth and grime from her captivity away, trying her best to wash away a strange, unfamiliar scent; to little avail. After several minutes, she cried out in frustration, and gave up, lying back to ease the aches and pains from such a harsh environment. It didn't take long for the lavender scented bathsalts to whisk her away to the far reaches of relaxation. As she faded into the nirvana of warm unconciousness, she felt a strange sensation wash over her, as if the physical world were dropping away, her body; no, her very soul was soaring through space. She found herself on a strange, but peacefull plane, fog swirling around her, when she came face to face with the man she'd run through with her rapier.

"Ah! Clothe yourself, woman. We aren't that familiar!" the man said, causing Malori to flush. He averted his gaze, then spoke again: "Just... imagine what you'd like to be wearing."

Recovering, Malori thought of a comfortable Doublet and cotton trousers, amazed to find she was now clothed. She tried to speak, but the man cut her off sharply. "No doubt you've got questions. yes, you did kill me, and I thank you for that. although you could learn how to use a blade better." the man said, rubbing his chest as he remembered the whole experience. "Where we are now, is one of the spirit realms; a pocket realm inside the medallion I gave you. What you did was part of a ritual similar to the soul trap spell; though very old, and long since forgotten by modern mages and scholars. I won't go into detail." He continued.

Malori went slightly cross-eyed at the overwhelming prospect, and merely nodded as the man spoke. Once he finished, she blurted "Who are you!? Why is this happening, and what in all the known lands of Nirn is going on?" It was only after this short tirade that she noticed neither of them was truly speaking, so much as conversing through thought. The man smiled, and bowed with a flourish; "My name is Raurke Duskshadow. As for why this is happening, you just happened to drop into my world at an opportune moment. You might hate me, but I suspect we'll be getting quite chummy, as this ritual is quite permanent for now. What is going on is your average run-of-the-mill good versus evil struggle within the shadows; dark men wish to destroy the Nine, and disrupt the the relative peace in Nirn."

Malori, finally, was dumbstruck. How could this man be so non-chalant about such a serious subject? She took a moment to gather her wits again, and decided this... dream, or whatever, was the product of an overly stressed mind. "Ah, so that's all then? I'm Malori Cordaz. Now if you don't mind, I'd like to get back to my every day life." Raurke smiled warmly, "Very well. Though I'm afraid you'll have a rough time. Without the proper training and magic, this symbiotic connection we have now will devour you. I'll let you sleep on it before I expect a reply." At this, Malori suddenly found herself back in her bath; water cold, and stomach rumbling. "You should eat soon." Raurke's voice smirked inside her head.

Back in the Unknown Realm...

Seyen couldn’t be sure what to do, but as there seemed to be no door at the top of the steps he made another wish and in a blink he stood in an ivory orrery at the peak of a great tower. Beyond the windows there was only the void he’d left. This was not a real world, just another dream and he needed to be careful. His body was still in the sewers with his companions, this was all in his mind.

Quinn had told him to be careful and to not make any move without knowing how far the consequences might reach. He had already done so twice, once willfully. He reminded himself to take greater care, but unless he ventured forth now there was no way he would ever uncover the truth about these strange dreams and the portal that had brought them so far from home.

"If I am your prince," he ventured slowly, "I command you to show yourselves to me."

The whispers, which were all around him and yet so soft they were only heard by his unconscious mind like white noise suddenly stopped. Then all around him clusters of silver mist began to form and take shape. When the mists became solid, he was surrounded by a group of men and women who appeared to be mages, dressed in long shimmering silver cloaks with hoods and masks that concealed all but their equally silver eyes.

“Who are you?” Seyen asked.

One of the men stepped forward, “That is not the question,” he said simply, his voice aged and raspy, “the question remains my boy, who are you?”

“You called me prince.”

“Are you our Prince?” the old man posed to him, “we are not sure. So far you have passed all of our tests,”

Seyen found himself snapping back, “Then why do you doubt?” the old man drew silent, he could see fear in his own eyes reflected back at him in the mage’s. Where had that come from? He had felt…strange, entitled, vindictive, raging, and not alone in his own mind. There was a hunger in this other mind, it wanted to possess him, and suddenly Seyen understood. The unattached consciousness was the Price of this realm and these servants were scavenging through other worlds looking for a new vessel for him, hoping he might alight on a new form. At this moment, it was his form they were most interested in. There had to be a way to turn this situation in his favor. Pushing the other mind back Seyen stepped toward the mage and attempted to sound as arrogant and haughty as the entity within him before charging his orders.

“There were a number of others who came to this realm with me, and two Khajiit warrior in Ember City who are my friends,” he said with steely resolve that even took him by surprise, “I want them brought to me here…now!” he added when the mages seemed to question him. There was a long silence, but Seyen held the old man’s gaze, unbending. Suddenly the mage bowed.

“As you bid, my Prince.”

The mages all raised their hands and in the center of the room a great globe of a sphere began to form like a map of this world. One by one, tiny, pin-light versions of his friends were plucked from the map. It was quit e remarkable in its detail. He was in awe, and he had to admit this sort of power was beyond anything he had dreamed of in his studies. It was seductive and he felt too easily he could be swept away and the real prince could have his husk. He needed to end this soon.

The tiny forms grew to full size, in moments the globe was beginning to fade, and he was surrounded by his companions; each looking bewildered and on edge.

“What is this..?” Red began, palming her blade.

“My tower,” Seyen said, speaking with strength but hoping she could read in his eyes the trust he was pleading for. She seemed to understand and nodded once coolly. He wished he could explain but there was no way without tipping his hand, he had to go on and hope his companions were clever enough to go along.

One of the other mages spoke up, “Now that these others are here…my lord, what do you wish for us to do with them,” she asked.

Seyen turned his gaze on her, “Send them home, to the world they came from. They are of no use to you.”

“And you will remain?” the elder mage asked.

Seyen nodded, “Yes,” he lied.

“Very well, but know that what you ask is no simple task. To open a portal to their world requires a sacrifice of blood. You must choose one of your companions to make this sacrifice, and we will open the portal.”

He hadn’t expected this, he tried to quickly clear his mind and not choose anyone. He had to remember what Quinn warned him, do nothing until he was certain where it would lead.

“As you wish,” the elder mage said, motioning to Quinn who was quickly overtaken by two great iron sentinels who had been standing unseen in the shadows.

“Quinlan! No!” Thomas shouted, “Take me; I will be your sacrifice. I’m an old man, please!”

“Stop this,” Seyen commanded, wishing his voice was not shaking. He hadn’t meant to choose anyone, but like before with entering the tower, it took only his thoughts, “he was not my choice.”

The other moved into action to defend Quinn, but too quickly the sentinels dragged him through a magic barrier in the center of the room they could not pass.

Seyen met Quinn’s eyes as the other was dragged toward the table, “I’m sorry, I’m so sorry Quinn,” his voice was shaky, he tried desperately to steady it, “I command you to release this man, take another!”

“It’s alright Seyen,” Quinn said quietly, “it’s not your fault, get our friends home.”

William had been watching the scene unfolding, but his mind ticked away furiously in some place below his consciousness. He felt Red’s hand on his arm and met her eyes.

“We have to do something,” she said quietly, “we can’t just let this happen.”

“I’m not certain there’s anything we can do to stop it,” he said, beginning to feel a warmth in his body, “something is happening,” he whispered, more to himself than anyone, the sensation intensifying when the first cut drew a tense groan from Quinn nearby.

Behind them a portal began to appear as Quinn’s blood dripped from the table and the mages around him began their chanting ritual. Seyen stepped toward them, passing easily through the barrier, and Carter caught him by the scruff of his robe and pressed a blade to his throat, hard enough to pierce his skin.

“Let our boy go, or lose yours,” he said coolly as Seyen’s blood began to drip down his blade. As one the mages turned and looked at him, their mouths dropped open and their faces began to change, looking inhuman, as a scream erupted from them that sent all of the outsiders tumbling back. The ritual broken for a moment the portal began to close slowly. The elder mage reached out to Seyen.

“Come my prince,” he urged as Seyen found his feet, “cross the barrier where you will be safe and we will finish the rite.”

William stood beside him and Seyen was startled to see his eyes glowing gold, “William?”

“Don’t be afraid,” a voice that was not the former assassin’s came from him as he moved toward the barrier and easily passed through it.

Red turned to the others, “Take cover and be ready to fight.”

They barely had time to dive behind archaic shelves and daises before the center of the room erupted in flames. Something seemed to take shape within the barrier, like a serpent amidst the smoke and flame, and the barrier was dispelled as the mages were obliterated. The sentinels around the room came to life and immediately attacked. Red shouted for them to fight and the companions leapt from hiding to take down the iron golems.

As the smoke began to thin, the books and furniture in the center of the room were still smoldering. Seyen made his way to Quinn’s side finding William standing over him.

“What was that?” he asked the older man timidly.

William shook his head, he didn’t have an answer, was this something that had happened before? Something that was within him, or something this place drew out of him? Whatever the answer was it would have to wait. The mages had made quick work of the bloodletting, Quinn was no longer conscious, his skin paled, and his pulse faint. With the death of the circle, the portal home was glowing brightly. Eshe and Duna appeared beside William.

“Duna will carry him,” she said, helping William lift Quinn onto Duna’s broad back.

William motioned to the portal, “Go, take him now.”

Eshe mounted Duna behind Quinn to balance him and the large cat bounded through the chaos to the portal and disappeared.

Watching them leave Carter turned to the others fighting nearby, “Go now, I’ll cover you,” he said leaping onto the back of the golem that had pinned Alistair, Nina and Jheuloh into the corner. They slipped passed him and into the portal, followed by Thomas, and Syn as she felled one of the golems just in front of the portal as a shield.

William grabbed Seyen’s bicep, drawing his mind back to this moment and away from the place of regret where the un attached mind of the dark prince was still speaking to him quietly, trying to make him surrender, “Time to go,” the older man pushed him toward the portal, following behind to cover his escape. As one, Red, Carter and William were backing toward the portal keeping the golems at bay. When Seyen was safely through, Red followed and Carter slipped through behind her leaving William alone, and as he dropped one more sentinel a voice whispered, “Remember who you are…” just as he was drawn into the portal and the unknown realm disappeared forever.

What had seemed like months had in fact only been minutes since they had left Cyrodiil. The familiar sights and scents of home greeted him as the portal released him into the world he had always known. His relief and gratitude faded quickly to the sounds of a mournful singing. Nearby, Thomas was crouched over Quinn, feverishly trying various curatives to revive him. Red had a hand on the monk’s shoulder trying to comfort him while bearing her own grief stiffly. Eshe was singing a death prayer in her native tongue for her fallen friend.

The tiding struck William at once; Quinn had already passed on into the veil.

“It was too late, he’s got nothing left,” Carter told him quietly, passing William Night’s reins. The former assassin tapped down his grief, “Let’s take him home,” he said evenly, mounting up. They moved in silence, gathering their horses. Carter helped Thomas lift Quinn’s body onto Titan’s back for one final ride, though the stallion seemed spooked, sensing the dead weight of his master. Red stepped into Savior’s saddle and kneed him forward, leading them back to the Tavern.

Ignoring her growling stomach for the moment, Malori rumaged through her wardrobe, selecting a pair of laced leather trousers; dyed black, a comfortable, but form-fitting black doublet, and her favorite pair of black leather boots. Grabbing her coinpurse, her heart sank as she felt the weight of a single, lonely septim. "God's blood. this isn't going to be a good day." she muttered, then headed down to the dining room to grab something cheap to eat.

Serenity had finished her soup, but moved to a darkened corner of the room to wait for the trifling little welp that had her brother's sword. Her patience paid off, as Malori meandered into the room and paid for a bowl of soup. Staring daggers, Serenity got up, and walked toward the diminutive wood elf. "Nice sword. how does a runt like you come by a fine piece of work like that!?" She spat, grabbing Malori by the shoulder.

"Not good! Malori, get out of here, NOW! Raurke's voice shouted in Malori's head. As Malori turned, she caught a glimpse of a familiar face, though the body was all too different, and the voice didn't fit her memory. Startled, confused, and practicaly out of her mind, Malori decided the voice in her head was right; she bolted for the door, splashing leek and potato soup all over the surrounding patrons in the process. The grip on her shoulder released, and she ducked out the door, making her way up the street towards the marketplace.

Stunned and covered in leeks and potatoes, Serenity drew her sword and dashed after the woman, her reaction just screamed guilt. "That little... hope the gaurds don't stop me... bloodbath if she knows anything about him!" the words slurred by a mix of rage and the effort of tearing through the Imperial City's narrow alleys.

"That was unexpected; she was supposed to be in Anvil. Change of plans, give me the reigns!" Raurke's voice chimed in Malori's head. Suddenly, Malori felt herself being pulled up and away from her body as the scenery blurred. As her vision cleared, Malori found herself in Weye, headed towards Skingrad. "What in... how did I get here?" she thought, unsure if her mental acquaintance would answer.

"Revenant magic. That particular ability lets the caster cover a range of distances in a blink." The voice in her head replied. "I'm still surprised you haven't died from the use of it. Truly fascinating experiment. First time I used it, my mortal bonds were ripped to shreds.

"Revenant? What in the blasted wastes is that?" Malori retorted, kneading her forehead.

"Long story short, it's a cross between a Lich and a Vampire. I was... still am?... one of them. the voice rambled, sounding as though it was about to propose a rather unsavory business deal. "That woman is my sister; twin, actually, and not someone you want to be around just yet. You DID kill me after all. I suspect you showing up out of the blue carrying my sword was a red flag for her.

"Wonderfull." Malori spat, rolling her eyes. "Just as well, no money, no food, and Luther's nice, but won't let me stay there after what happened. May as well go along with your insane proposal."

"Ah, splendid!" Raurke beamed, his voice cheery and bright in Malori's head. "This is going to be tricky, but as you might have noticed, I have just as much control over your body as you do. Sadly, time we are connected like this, the more permanent our little living arrangements are: you will slowly become what I am... was... whatever. You'll become a Revenant, and eventually, your body will consume itself if left unfed. On the upside, we'll be essentially ageless as long as you can keep the body fed with the life force of others." Malori was glad she hadn't eaten. the prospect of spending eternity like this made her sick.

Serenity sighed dejectedly as she wandered back to the Elven Gardens district, having lost the mouse of a wood elf that she was chasing. Serenity had made it all the way to the waterfront before she realized that she'd lost her in the marketplace, and the thought of how insane she must have looked running all over the city with her swords brandished screaming like a banshee made her cringe. "I'd better skip town and lie low for a while." she muttered, eyes on the ground as she bumped into someone. The impact knocked her flat on her rump, and she nearly flew off the handle before she caught a glimpse of who she'd bumped into. "You!" she screamed, heart skipping a beat. "You no-good, sleazy son of a harlot!"

The man chuckled, then responded "Careful, we have the same mother!" Raurke smiled benignly as he helped his infuriated sister off the ground, grunting whenever the woman's fist hit him.

Serenity finally calmed down, hugging her brother tight. "God's blood, I thought the worst had happened when that woman showed up wearing your sword!"

Raurke's demeanor instantly changed at that statement. "So you've seen her? That sword isn't the only property of mine she stole after running me through."

"So, let me get this straight..." Malori grumbled out loud. "Your sister, who's very proficient in putting pain to others, thinks you're dead and you're worried she's got the wrong idea after I show up with your sword at my waist and absolutely no believable story as to how I came about having it?" Malori gritted her teeth. "And now you expect me to fight an ancient, secret society of powerfull lich-vampire type undead with nothing but a crystalline piece of junk, the clothes on my back, and your word that i'll be spending eternity as an eighteen year old woman?!"

"That last one isn't so bad. And hey, that sword has been through a lot with me. Plus, I never said you'd have to do it alone. I know people who might help; though the explanation ~is~ a bit farfetched, I'll admit. That's why we're stopping in Skingrad first before we meet these people." Raurke spat back in Malori's mind. "And you may want to use your head instead of talking to yourself." Malori could feel the snide from that last comment. The situation made her all the more infuriated when she tried throwing the medallion away, though sadly, the man's voice and power still remained; her body ignoring her as it went to retrieve the medallion.

"But I don't understand why we have to keep that silly trinket if you don't need it to stay in my head." Malori thought. "And don't think I can't feel you wandering about in my head. I know you've been mucking about in my memories." Fresh angered surged in upon Malori's mind as she felt an unclean gaze looking her over in her mind.

There was a sudden movement off the road to Malori's life as a highwayman jumped out "Your money, or your life!" he yelled, crook-toothed grin showing he meant every word of it; as if the wickedly sharp longsword he was brandishing didn't.

"Well now. maybe we'll have a chance to evaluate your combat skills after all." Raurke's voice beamed in Malori's head.

• 2 weeks later...

"Raurke... please, don't leave me alone like that ever agin. You're all I have left." Serenity said, holding back tears and hugging her brother tightly. A sobering thought for Raurke; he hugged his sister in return and whispered "Why don't you help me? I promise, I won't leave you ever again." "To easy" he thought. The two walked on, silent, then vanished into thin air.

-----------------------------------------

Malori drew the curved, saber-like sword she'd taken from the man in the prison; it was heavier than the rapier she was accustomed to, and balanced awkwardly tip-heavy. Putting that aside, she took a defensive stance as the highwayman lunged forward, arm drawn back for a heavy vertical slash. Before the villian's blow could connect, Malori whipped around, hoping to catch the man in the back. Too slow, the blade of the man's sword connected with her arm, opening a painfully long gash along her left tricept. The man smiled wickedly, letting the blood whip from his blade as he brought it around for a second strike. This time, Malori's reaction was well-timed, she dropped low, aiming a thrust at her attacker's thigh. The thrust barely hit it's mark, but the curve of the blade sent it careening off the smooth leather greaves he was wearing.

As Malori recovered, Raurke's voice resounded in her head; "You've got magic too, you know!" Malori gave herself a mental slap, then snapped her fingers, the sounds of crackling electricity accompanying small blue bolts in her hand. Without hesitation, she slammed her palm into the highwayman's knee; electrcity coursing through his leg, the muscles spasmed, and he dropped to his knee letting out a yelp of anger. "You little..." he frothed, then made an enraged thrust, catching Malori's hip. Malori screamed, then blacked out as Raurke took over; jumping back from the blade and sending sparks of electricity up through the hilt of Glass Rose.

"Not a fan of lightning, I see." Raurke scoffed, slightly unnerved at the sound of the woman's voice. Raurke took a visual measurement between malori, the highwayman, and the tree beyond then rushed forward, faster than malori's body could naturally handle: catching the highwayman in the waist with the sparking sword, then twisted around to land feet-first on the trunk of the tree two meters behind him.

The highwayman was stunned for a moment, then immediately began convulsing as the electrcity made it's way to the ground. Malori smiled wickedly, then sprang from the tree to skewer the poor bastard and finish him off. "Honestly, and I let you kill me? we're going to need some help from them. Raurke thought. Malori collapsed shortly afterward, the wound on her hip bleeding profusely.

“Ow....†Nina muttered quietly, “Damn you, Alistair. When I find you, I am going to kill you.â€

“I'm right here, you know.â€

Nina opened her eyes and turned her head in surprise to find her brother sprawled out on the forest floor beside her. Alistair lifted his head a little and gave Nina a small shrug, “Do we have to fight right now, though?â€

“Oh, yes we do!†Nina yelled angrily and jumped to her feet, pulling out one of her daggers, “Dammit, Alistair! Where in Oblivion did you run off to?†Her face was splattered with a mixture of reptilian blood and her own, making her look rather frightening, “You had better have a damn good excuse or else this dagger is going into both of your legs so you can't walk anymore!â€

“Nina, wait....what happened to you?†Alistair said in alarm as he took a good look at her. Her clothes were ripped in several places, only to be replaced by fresh wounds that continued to drip blood onto the ground. Her right arm was supporting several bite wounds, but she seemed to ignore it as she glared malevolently at her brother.

“What happened? What happened?!†she yelled and shook her head, “Gods' blood, Alistair, did you hit your head or something? You left us to fight against this giant lizard-thing just to go chase some pretty firefly. That's what happened! I almost turned into lizard-meat because of you! Gods, Alistair, what possessed you to go wandering off like some three-year-old, huh?â€

“I...I thought I....†Alistair started as he sat up, only to suddenly pause and stare at the ground below him. The leaves struck him as something odd, but he couldn't quite place what...

“You thought? What? You thought that back there was the perfect time to ditch us? Sheesh, sometimes it feels like I'm the older one of the family...†Nina couldn't help but mutter and threw her hands in the air exasperatedly, “Wonderful....I'm stuck in a god-forsaken realm with a half-wit brother, oh this is just wonderful. You couldn't have waited until we were out of there, at least?â€

“Nina...†Alistair stared as he picked up one of the green leaves.

“But of course, you didn't want to, did you? “ she said, interrupting him, “You just wanted to go off by yourself to do whatever it is you wanted and leave us to clean up. Did you not learn from the last time you did that...?â€

Alistair stood up all of the sudden and grabbed her shoulders, shaking her a little, “Nina, I know! I know what I did was stupid. I'm sorry, alright?â€

“Sorry? Alistair, 'sorry' doesn't heal this freakin' bite mark I have on my shoulder now,†Nina said, shrugging her right shoulder as if to demonstrate, “You wanna apologize for that stunt you pulled back there? Don't. Do it. Again,†she said with a finality in her voice and pulled away from Alistair's grip, “I didn't rescue your sorry bum from that prison for you to be doing this again. I thought we already talked about this...†she said quietly.

“We did,†Alistair muttered and shook his head, “Nina, I'm sorry. I'm really am. I just....I thought I saw something...â€

“What? A shiny firefly?†Nina said incredulously, though she couldn't help but grin just a little.

“Merissa.â€

Nina blinked a little at the sudden answer and looked at him confused, “Um....not Merissa, right? Not that dead one...?â€

Alistair nodded quietly and stared at the golden-green leaves by his feet. He was just as confused as his sister was. He didn't even get to have a closer look at the woman before he was suddenly thrown back into the darkness.

Nina winced a little at this and was quiet for several long moments before saying cautiously, “Um...o-okay....Alistair, why would she be...?â€

“I know,†Alistair said darkly and looked up at Nina with pained eyes, “Don't you think I thought about that when I started chasing her?â€

Nina sighed and shrugged, “....You could have said something at least? That way Jheuloh and I weren't running around like frantic chickens trying to find you?†she said, trying to lighten the mood a little.

Alistair shrugged and didn't say anything else as he stared at their surroundings blankly. Nina shook her head gently before she began looking around as well, then noticed the rather healthy-looking trees around her, “Um...are we back? We're back, right? I mean, this isn't another one of those screwed-up realms with the screwed-up women and whatnot, right?â€

“Well, one way to find out,†Alistair said and smiled a little, “Go find a deer and make sure all of its body parts are where it's supposed to be.â€

“Oh, haha. Stop trying to make me work so much, Alistair,†Nina muttered, but grinned at her brother, “I deserve a little break after that stunt you pulled back there.â€

“So now you're going to make me go chase after those things? I'm still trying to recover from that troll-fiasco, Nina,†Alistair said with a laugh and pulled his sister into a tight hug.

“Ow ow ow! Alistair! I'm still trying to recover from that lizard-fiasco!†she yelled and squirmed painfully until she managed to slip out of his grip again, “Ow....could you at least wait until after I had a bath?â€

“I don't see why. You look cute with all that blood on you,†Alistair snickered at her.

Nina rolled her eyes, "I'll be more than willing to share some of it with you, you know. You may not like the paint job, however," she warned him with a smile before she noticed the absence of someone in their group, “Hey...where'd Jheuloh go, anyways?â€

Alistair looked around their surroundings, and in the treetops just to make sure, and shrugged helplessly, “I don't know. I'm pretty sure he came with us, though...â€

“Aw damn, I find one friend and he goes and disappears on me,†Nina rolled her eyes and chuckled, “Alright, let's go see if we can't find our sneaky little friend. And maybe a bath.â€

The scent of herbs and roasting mutton slowly pierced the darkenss, lulling Malori back to conciousness. Sharp pains shot through her hip and arm as she tried to sit up, then slowly ebbed away as her mind clouded. "Ah, you're back among the living I see. That man has no sense of physical limitation." a woman's voice errupted somewhere to Malori's right. Malori tried to speak, but found her words slurred, and her speech slow. "Do not fret, child, I'm an ally." the woman's voice came again, this time accompanied by the sight of an incredibly beautiful Redgaurd. "You're safe for now, though with him taking over, you may not last lo- Oh! Where are my manners? I'm Halligan. Where you are, is one of my safehouses."

Malori concetrated hard, willing her mind to clear. "Him? What happened?" Malori asked, finally, still somewhat fog-minded. "Raurke. you didn't honestly think this sprite of a youngling would be of any use, did you? and while I'm chewing you out, you didn't think you could wander this close to Skingrad without me noticing, did you?" Halligan's tone slowly took on a seductive tone.

"It was a matter of convenience, Hal, though she does have potential." The words rolled unwillingly from Malori's lips. She quickly clapped her hand over her mouth, shocked.

Halligan feigned an offended look. "You could have just asked me to do it, but what in blazes are you doing, anyway? I thought this 'wasn't your fight'." At that, halligan smirked, revealing a fascinatingly sharp fang.

"The facts have changed. The Revenant Court forced my hand when they imprisoned me and threw this girl in with me as torture." Raurke said, borrowing Malori's voice again. "What's more, I have a gift for you." Malori's hand moved of it's own accord, removing the medallion from her neck. Malori couldn't help but notice odd, black streaks eminating from under the bandage on her arm.