DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Where in Cyrodiil Would You Live?

the-manta

Leaving the looting convenience, number of fights to be had, heist opportunities etc. (adventurous type concerns) if you were an average NPC-type person, where in Cyrodiil would you live? One of the main cities? A small village or hamlet? A lonely home in the wilderness?

I would most likely want to live in Skingrad; the people are pretty friendly, the city and surrounding area are beautiful, the town is clean and well-ordered, and the combination of better-than average guards, general defensibility and the mysterious and formidable count give a feeling of safety. Also, the standard of living in Skingrad seems fairly high; even the lower class homes where the grape-pickers etc. live are spacious and sturdy, infinitely better than the poorer homes in other towns. A few NPCs will comment that while Skingrad is nice, you have to go to the IC to buy anything. This doesn't seem true to me, I mean, there's an obvious abundance of grapes and mutton, and theres a well stocked trader, smith, even a baker for god's sake! Yep, Skingrad's the town for me; I can just picture sitting in my spacious stone house enjoying a fresh sweetroll while the folks out doors chat about grapes (seemingly the hot topic in Skingrad but meeh), then maybe strolling down the cobbled streets to buy some great tomatoes from Undena Orethi....

How about you? I'd include a poll but theres too many possible options :thumbup:

Kind of a toss-up for me between Chorrol, Bruma, and Feldscar. I'm one of those weirdos who likes colder climates, but hasn't managed to move to one IRL yet, so one of those would suit me fine. I could possibly see myself living in OCR Leyawiin as long as the humidity wasn't a mess.

Vanilla? Arcane University, hands down. Modded? I'm going to stick with Wellspring Vale. It's just too nice.

However, out of province included, I'd either have a tower somewhere in Vvardenfel, classic mushroom tower, but with Obsidian all over it, or a small place somewhere in Elswere, with a basement full of alchemical supplies, and recipes.

I've always assumed Chorrol. My one reservation is that it has a snobby element and I'm not one for etiquette, so it might be hard to get along with its prevailing society; it's expensive, too. But overall, it's probably my favourite city. The alternative would be Cheydinhal, post Ulrich Leland's rule.

Sometimes I think the villages are tempting. Pells Gate is in nice countryside and its inhabitants are friendly, if sometimes a bit grumpy. But villages are dangerous, especially when there's an old fort full of scumbags practically on your doorstep. That sort of thing tends to spoil a quiet evening in the pub.

That's what turned me off of villages, that and the isolation anyway; it would have to be near a larger settlement or it would be a pain to get hold of anything you couldn't make yourself.

There is that, too. As in real life, I'd find myself struggling to find the perfect balance: rural life has its idyllic stereotype both in Cyrodiil and the real world, but a lot of the time that idyll will be smothered by hard work, inconvenience and danger. The big city is all very well and part of me thinks life at the Arcane University would be rather pleasant; and indeed it would, but ultimately it means that any ventures outside its walls are going to have a lack of greenery and an excess of people, something even the Arboretum isn't really going to assuage: cities to me are just too much bustle, too scruffy, too busy and a greater likelihood of organised crime. So that's why I'd settle for one of the towns: it would always be a compromise, but it would also compromise the nasty bits into something a bit less bothersome. Of course doing things for negative reasons is seldom very compelling, so it's as well I find the likes of Chorrol and post-corruption Cheydinhal just nice places in themselves. :heyyou:

• 6 months later...

Kvatch. Well, to be specific, Kvatch as presented in Kvatch Rising. It's relatively spacious, has a strong trade market with all manner of valuables and consumables being traded and besides having a strong guard detachment, there is a Mage's Guild dedicated to daedric magic and an order of knights made up of the surviving guardsmen(women) from the first battle for Kvatch. Not to mention, the Hero of Kvatch has a home here. Safe, high standard of living, and the best colovian leather around. And let's not forget the Arena, where for as long as supplies last, members of the Mythic Dawn will be fighting for (and losing) their lives on a weekly basis!