DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

The Moan Thread

vometia

A week or two after receiving a pair of Velociraptor (now there's a word that doesn't lend itself to fast typing) drives, I finally summoned up the willpower to put them in my computer today.

I hate doing anything hardware related. It got off to a bad start because the bass thingy, you know, the big lump that's presumably the ".1" of "2.1" speaker systems was sat on top of it in such a way that the only way to get it off was to yank the computer out from under it and hope it didn't land on the floor with too much of a crash. Which it didn't, fortunately, but it's made by Creative Labs so I hate it for not breaking and giving me an excuse to get something better.

So I'd now wrenched the computer out and taken the panels and stuff off; fortunately that wasn't too tiresome since the case is fairly well designed. Can't remember by whom, it says "Osiris" but I think that's the model. But it does need some screwdrivering and of course of the handful of screwdrivers I'd randomly grabbed, none of them were the one I needed. :wave:

And so it continued. Amidst the tangle of wires I discovered I was short of one power connector, though fortunately I found a splitter among another tangle of wires. Then the first tangle of wires had to be reconnected, and, and... oh, it was all very tedious.

I'm done now, after several grazed knuckles, sore knees and a nose full of dust. What a lot of fun that wasn't. Still, at least I have lots of free high-speed storage for games so I don't have to worry too much about organising it any longer, or deleting anything or what have you. At least not until I fill that up too. :ouch:

Lol, Velociraptor is some kind of hardware? I already imagined that you got those Jurrasic park pests that would eat you in a week or sooner.

They're hard drives for people who think that generic hard drives aren't expensive enough. :rofl: Or more to the point they're quite fast hard drives, and as someone who hates stuttering, they're quite useful. Not that they completely banish the problem, but they do get rid of it a bit.

£200 apiece for 600GB is pretty steep though. I wondered more than once if it was really worth the money; but most of my bulky stuff I keep on my server which is a bit of a tribute to cheap storage.

As for the actual bitey things, I think Glaedr is the resident expert on that type of thing! Or at least their descendants.

Erm... :rofl:wanders off to look at receipt

10,000. I wondered why they seemed comparatively good value, but I'm not complaining since the performance will still be very good, especially as I have them mirrored (under ideal circumstances this could in theory double their throughput, though even if it doesn't, avoiding the chances of one of them dying on me and losing lots of data is worth it).

I still remember the days when our school had a 5MB (no, that's not a typo) hard drive for our network of BBC Micros. Or maybe it was 8. No idea what speed it was; about the same as a vinyl record, probably. In fact if you took it to bits I wouldn't be surprised to actually find a vinyl record lurking in there somewhere!

So does that make me old if I remember having done that myself? :P

Also, on the subject of PC maintenance, don't neglect to do the occasional dusting inside the case. I've been a bad boy and went through half a can of air getting the crud out of my CPUs poor fan. It's a wonder the thing still works.

I'm not familiar with the foil on TV aerials and stuff. I do remember my parents having a black and white telly, though. And a "music centre".

As for dust in PCs, isn't that what makes them work? If you remove it, they often go wrong. A bit like what happens if you let the magic smoke escape, I suppose (for the naysayers, the magic smoke often escapes from CPUs if they get too hot, which is proof that it's what makes computers go: because once it's gone, they don't work any more).