DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Mouse recommendations

vometia

I really need to get a new mouse. I hate this one. It's rubbish. I'm currently using a Logitech Revolution MX which is utterly pants in numerous different ways:

• It keeps losing tracking: although I don't use a mouse-pad, a modern mouse shouldn't have problems on my desk's surface, but this one does, frequently. More irritatingly it's intermittent, and no obvious cause has been identified.

• It also loses not just tracking but all communication on a frequent but erratic basis, so not just a lack of movement, there's also no button-clicks or wheel movement registered until it decides to start working again.

• And that's even though I've ended up having to plug the receiver directly into the computer: because it's managed to mangle the USB standard somehow, more often than not it won't work with my USB KVM switch which rather defeats the purpose (no other device has the same problem).

• Its battery, which is meant to last a couple of weeks minimum, is doing well if it lasts a couple of days. If I forget to put it on charge two successive nights, I start to get low power warnings. A third night and it no longer works. And of course the battery can't be replaced; the mouse can't even be dismantled as far as I can see.

• When I say "forget", I really mean "check that its cradle's contacts have connected properly": these have to be cleaned every time, the cheap rubbishy springs bent back into shape regularly and still the mouse wriggled and shifted about until the charge signal finally comes on. The contacts are so cheap and flimsy that calling them "contacts" is probably against the Trade Descriptions Act.

• And talking of cheap and flimsy, though it might be Logitech's flagship model, well-made it's not. First the logo went, then the label with the serial number and stuff wore off, then the feet started coming off, how the non-slip coating on its surface is wearing away. It's a little over a year old.

• It might look fancy, but somehow it's the wrong shape: though it's quite a large mouse, it feels like one of those micro thingies they make for kids and my hand is really starting to hurt as a result. Okay, most mice are an ergonomic nightmare, but this is worse than most.

• And other stuff. It's just too soul-destroying to go on.

Anybody got any suggestions for something better? I'm suspecting I should probably go for a wired rodent rather than a wireless one: even though there are probably mice whose wireless properties are better and whose batteries last longer, this has rather put me off, even though the memories of my previous mouse's lead becoming constantly tangled and snagged are not fond ones.

I'd like something that's not rubbish, and will preferably still not be rubbish in five years time. Any thoughts?

I feel your pain. Mice these days all seem to be either complete junk, or ridiculously expensive junk.

I had a Logitech MX 1000 wireless. It worked great. Though they claimed it lasted 2 weeks on a charge, I apparently use my computer to the point where it would only go a week max, and just prior to its death it was barely managing 2-3 days. I think in the end the battery wore out because when I'd put it on the charger, it would say it was done charging in less than 30 minutes. I too hated the fact that you can't dismantle the mouse to replace the battery. So I went mouse shopping.

I returned terribly disappointed because I wanted a wireless mouse. Mouse cords always get hung up on the pad, the keyboard, you name it. I swear they even hang up on themselves for no reason.

I ended up settling on a Logitech G5. It's one of those fancy pants things with a sensitivity switch, which doesn't work worth beans, so I left it at the default. It works ok most of the time, but I noticed it doesn't seem to have the sensitivity the wireless model did when in the CS.

The main reason I went with it though was because of the scroll wheel. I don't like ANY of those new pieces of junk where you can spin the scroll wheel and have it power scroll a page and the wheel sits there and spins for ages before stopping. Plus, every other mouse I tried out, if you middle clicked on the wheel, all it did was put it into super ridiculous hyper speed mode instead of just being a normal middle click. The G5 doesn't have this issue. It's wheel is a normal every day scroll wheel that behaves as a proper middle click when used.

So that would be my recommendation, assuming you can find one. It has a cord, but I've learned to suffer with that because nothing else behaves properly.

Im using a $40 Razor Salmosa mouse (Got for $13.37, cus Im cool like that) and it is a simple 3 button with scroll wheel, and settings for 800dpi and 1800dpi. I love it. Though, now that I am so use to 1800dpi, I get so frustrated when I have to use someone else's computer cus their mouse sucks!

if price isn't an issue razer's naga works nicely. i use it on my laptop and for oblivion it's awesome.

I'll take a look. Any thoughts about its longevity? I've heard mixed reviews of Razer keyboards' durability, but I prefer to hear stuff first hand.

I returned terribly disappointed because I wanted a wireless mouse. Mouse cords always get hung up on the pad, the keyboard, you name it. I swear they even hang up on themselves for no reason.

:rofl: I know that trick of theirs well enough: my mouse lead managed to develop a kink just at the point it hung over the back of the desk which made it snag constantly. Drove me nuts, and I think it was eventually responsible for its demise.

So that would be my recommendation, assuming you can find one. It has a cord, but I've learned to suffer with that because nothing else behaves properly.

I'll keep a look out for one of those, too. I'm a bit leery of Logitech after using this thing, but I seem to recall their older stuff worked well enough.

Actually after listing my litany of complaints, one of the things I do like about this one is that it can be reprogrammed (and more so when using the ridiculously-named but quite good Uber Tools) so my mouse wheel is a normal middle button when clicked instead of that useless "swap between something so knobbly you don't want to use it and something so free-wheeling it'll annoy the hell out of you" it has by default; better still, the nominally useful "help" button behind it now works as a single-button "double-click": I hate double-clicking and I think whoever invented the double-click as a concept should have all their fingers broken in retribution. Because I'm vindictive like that.

But as nice as the reprogrammability is, it doesn't salvage what's a worthless (costly, but still worthless) piece of equipment. I thoroughly unrecommend the Revolution MX to anybody who's even vaguely considering one.

At least I now have two ideas for its replacement to be thinking about. XD

Funny you should ask about this, there was a recent review in Custom PC and it's a great in-depth review on the so called best mouse about.

I wont put everything down they they said, i'll only show the rateings they gave.

Arctic M571 - Design: 40%, Features 51%, Value 40%, Overall 44% (Price - £16 Inc VAT)

Cyborg R.A.T. 3 - Design 55%, Features 60%, Value 52% Overall 56% (Price - £33.49 Inc VAT)

Ozone Radon 5K - Design 60%, Features 69%, Value 56%, Overall 62% (Price £35.99 Inc VAT)

Roccat Kone+ - Design 70%, Features 91%, Value 56%, Overall 74% (Price £69.99 Inc VAT)

Razer Imperatir - Design 88%, Features 86%, Value 80%, Overall 85% (Price £52.48 Inc VAT)

Mionix Nais 3200 - Design 93%, Features 80%, Value 88%, Overall 87% (Price 39.99 Inc VAT)

Do take into account that Custom PC test things to breaking point so when they recommend a product it's really worth it.

I've got the MX-5500, (same mouse in Bluetooth) the charger works fine, it's Comfy to me, But it's going down the tubes, it will Double click for no reason, or it will lose the left click alltoghther, (I'll have to turn the power switch on the bottem off and back on)

I can't go back to a cord.... was looking at the Razer Orochi??, my son had their keyboard, and it's gone bad on him (along with his Logitech Denovo) so... I'm kinda looking as well...

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still mulling over this, in spite of another couple of nods to the Razer range. I think what's holding me back is that I've read a few concerns about their longevity; then again, I just looked at the Amazon user reviews for my current mouse and was perplexed at the number of people describing it as "perfect": am I even using the same mouse as them at all? :rofl:

Then again, considering I can't even find a basic kettle I like since I'm not really into the taste of plastic or things that leak all over the counter-top, maybe it's not surprising I'm having such trouble with something more complicated. "They don't make 'em like they used to" indeed.

Personally I like the Microsoft trackballs. Specifically the one with the ball on the left side for your thumb. no repetitive movements of your hand, it stays in one place and easy to control. Shame they don't make them anymore. But I do have two old ones for back up just in case this 6 year old one dies. :D

Personally I like the Microsoft trackballs. Specifically the one with the ball on the left side for your thumb. no repetitive movements of your hand, it stays in one place and easy to control. Shame they don't make them anymore. But I do have two old ones for back up just in case this 6 year old one dies. :D

I've wondered about getting a trackball since about... well, approximately forever. I remember talking to someone about them around 20 years ago, anyway. But in spite of my curiosity I've never actually tried one. Maybe I should; except that it's different, so I'd probably hate it. :D

I like them for the fact that you don't have to move your hand all over the place to move the pointer. I can rest my arm on the arm of the chair and only move my thumb to make the pointer move. I've tried both kinds - ball on side for thumb and ball on top to move with fingers. Prefer the side ball as it is more like a mouse with the fingers controlling the each of the buttons. I'm not sure about the logitech ones, as they look really clumbsy.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally, after much prevaricating, I've ordered a Logitech G5. It'll be interesting to see how it works out: but as well as the litany of annoyances of my current mouse, I think it's also causing my hand some damage, so it'll be good to try something new. I nearly went for a Razer but they're expensive and I've heard a few too many tales about their lack of longevity: even if others have had good experiences in that regard, I tend to pick the short straw when it comes to the one that dies two months down the road.

I'm still tempted to get a trackball in addition to see how I get on with it for usual day-to-day stuff.

I really need to get a new mouse. I hate this one. It's rubbish. I'm currently using a Logitech Revolution MX which is utterly pants in numerous different ways:

[*] It keeps losing tracking: although I don't use a mouse-pad, a modern mouse shouldn't have problems on my desk's surface, but this one does, frequently. More irritatingly it's intermittent, and no obvious cause has been identified.

[*] It also loses not just tracking but all communication on a frequent but erratic basis, so not just a lack of movement, there's also no button-clicks or wheel movement registered until it decides to start working again.

you just described my current mouse, some microsoft 5-button wireless laser model that i'm not keen on wanting to remember the name of, that i've had for a year now. (i'm actually in the market myself, being as this one's dying on me.)

Well, maybe you should get both, then you could report back with a definitive analysis :wave:

I second this motion. :rofl:

I'll do that, though given my chronic disorganisation and tendency to prevaricate, it may take me some time!

you just described my current mouse, some microsoft 5-button wireless laser model that i'm not keen on wanting to remember the name of, that i've had for a year now. (i'm actually in the market myself, being as this one's dying on me.)

For such a long time I wanted a wireless mouse because the cord drove me nuts. But right now I'm of the opinion that the cord is the lesser of two evils; we'll see if I'm still of the same opinion when the new wired mouse turns up tomorrow. :rofl:

Microsoft products are right out for me after my experience of their Sidewinder keyboard, however: it was even less durable than my Logitech MX mouse with the coating beginning to peel off after just a couple of months. I admit it is hard finding a reliable manufacturer these days.

The new mouse arrived today. It's an interesting creature.

First impressions of the mouse overall are positive. The most obvious thing is that the build quality seems noticeably better than the MX Revolution, which feels rather cheap and shoddy in comparison. This is more like my partner's mouse (a slightly older cordless Logitech) in that it just feels rather more solid.

In spite of the solid feel, it seemed rather light, which soon brought my attention to some other interesting aspects. "What's that slot underneath for?" I wondered, at much the same time as "what's that thing with holes in?" and "what's in that tin?" To explain these odd observations to non-G5 owners, you can control exactly how much the mouse weighs thanks to a contraption that has lots of little weights of 1.7g or 4.5g (or no grammes at all if you leave them empty) which quickly brought my mouse to the desired weight. Impressive attention to detail there.

The mouse itself will take a slight amount of getting used to as is always the case, but that shouldn't be a problem. Straight into the ridiculously-named UberOptions to configure some of my favourite settings. A slight hurdle, though: UberOptions and/or SetPoint only seems to want to talk to the mouse if it's directly connected. It doesn't seem to want to play if I've plugged it into my KVM switch, something that could prove irritating in future. But I can worry about work-arounds and other solutions when I need to.

So plugging it into the computer directly, UberOptions now sees it so I can set up the pointer as medium speed with high acceleration which feels about right but as is always the case I'll probably need to fiddle with it endlessly to get it exactly right. It also has an alignment option I hadn't noticed before, which is useful as I tend to hold the mouse at about a -20o angle, so now the pointer goes where I want without subconsciously bending my wrist awkwardly. I suspect that's more to do with the settings than the mouse itself, but I thought I'd throw that one in anyway!

An additional comfort feature is that it doesn't have the MX Revolution's "thumb shelf" which I'm now suspecting of causing excess strain on my thumb leading to a long-term cramp between my thumb and forefinger: it's actually become noticeably swollen over the past year or so. Hopefully a mouse that doesn't twist my hand out of shape might ameliorate that nasty discomfort.

It's quite well endowed with buttons, so it has everything I want: the usual three buttons (the scroll wheel doubling as the middle one), forward and back buttons by my thumb and a couple of micro-buttons behind the wheel: these default to increased & decreased sensitivity, but I habitually set an extra button in this area to double-click: my finger doesn't like double-clicking because it makes it go all crunchy. Happily, the buttons are reprogrammable so I have my single-click-double-click back!

Talking of the scroll wheel, minor gripe there because you just get the one setting: crunchy. And it's pretty crunchy at that. I normally prefer something more freewheeling, or failing that, well, less crunchy. Still, I'm sure I'll live.

Of course being a corded mouse I now have the capricious nature of the cord to deal with and it's unsurprisingly acting in the usual goat-like manner, involving itself with pretty much every random object on my desk. Sigh. But that's what I was expecting, and it's better than the constant signal loss I was getting from the MX.

In conclusion, not perfect but pretty good. I may warm to it further or find other things to dislike (both, probably) but early impressions are that I like it. And that's more than I'd hoped for with a replacement mouse.

Edited by vometia