DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Halp! Stuttering!

Khettienna

Hmm, I wonder if rolling back to 10.4 will cure that stupid white pixel border dealy I've had since the last time I updated? I was never gungho for keeping on top of driver updates, so when I updated to whatever was the latest back in late November (10.11, I think), I was delighted by the improvements, since I had been using the 8.11 drivers all that time. Hey, they weren't broke, right? :bowdown:

Anyway, sounds like the consensus is that 10.4 drivers were the least problematic and most stable? Would rolling back be advised? My only complaints about my current drivers are the pixel border issue in Oblivion, and Nifskope's rendering window is now wonky, but usable.

I think my inclination would be to leave it alone if it's not causing major problems (major as in blue screens, lack of cookies, that sort of thing). Though a lot of people have experienced problems with more recent drivers, not everybody has, so I think I'd stick to the adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". You know how these things are.

For the record, 10.4 wasn't the last release without the newfangled problems: it was either 10.5 or 10.6, although I can't remember which, unfortunately. But 10.4 seems stable enough to me...

So far 10.12 isn't causing me any trouble beyond the irritating issue with the line along the left and top caused by forcing AA in the driver. That problem started with 10.10 though so it's not unique to 10.12. Remembering to turn that lousy hotpolling service off is key though, because it's been contributing to stutter since at least 10.10. It doesn't appear as though that service does anything worthwhile and even AMD's own support people on the forums are telling people to just turn it off. Which raises the question of why have it to begin with :bowdown:

There's an OBGE thing somebody made to "hide" the white borders by replacing them with black ones. I can't for the life of me find the Relz thread now, but it's up on the OF.

Toggling the Catalyst AI off, launching Nifskope, closing Nifskope, then toggling the Catalyst AI back on seemed to fix the Nifskope crashing for me. Only had to do it once after each update, and it's fine after that.

I'm just gonna forget about my video card drivers for six months and see what's up then, I guess. :lmao:

I only update my drivers when there is a known problem with the version I am currently using, that is fixed is subsequent versions (or, a marked performance improvement, without introducing new bugs....). Most times, new versions come out when the new vid cards come out, and support new features, etc.... that my card does NOT, so, no point in going to a newer version at all.

I'm just posting here to note for posterity that rolling my video card drivers back to 10.4 did solve my Nifskope issues- I can now click in the render windows again, without crashing the program. And as a bonus, there isn't a thin white pixel line along the top and left of my screen anymore while I play Oblivion. :)