DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Rowan's Quest Help

Rowan

So I've run into an interesting problem with the Dark Spire. I don't want to reveal too much, but basically I'm wondering what the best way to implement a complex plot using quest stages and journal entries actually is.

I started out with just a single quest, but then after writing most of it, I realized that there were smaller quests contained within that I could actually extract out and make into their own little quests, and I found that I like it better that way, because I think it will help the player focus on the event that is happening right then, rather than just trying to get to the end. I'm also hoping that it will make the actual quest-building easier, but I don't know since I haven't done any.

For example (since everyone already knows about it), I've made finding and operating the Dwemer Airship it's own little quest, beginning when you first read about it in one of the Dwemer's journals, and ending when you finally fly the airship back through the portal to Nirn, the plane in which it was crafted. Now, it's going to be pretty necessary to the main quest that you have found and are using the airship, but not absolutely essential since you could also use a dragon mount or some other means of flight.

Currently I've split the plot into about 10 different separate quests - one for each chapter or element of the story simply because I don't think it would work to have all of those events in a single quest. These different quests often run parallel to each other and sometimes even have the same triggering events - also, in some cases one quest cannot be continued without first continuing or completing another but not necessarily. But what I don't want to happen is to have too many journal entries popping up all the time since there would be times when they would get several simultaneously... (it would help if they turned those pop up windows off) or the player getting confused about what they are supposed to do.

The reason I'm trying to figure this out now is so that I can get an idea of what is and isn't possible with the CS in regards to plot, quest stages and such. That way I can get an even more solid blueprint for what I need to do later. If I make mistakes now in the plot, it could end up costing me a lot of time later. I realize there will always be some changes, but I'm just trying to minimize those to make the process go more smoothly. I need the clearest picture in my mind that I can get.

Edited by Rowan

• 5 weeks later...