DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Fallout modding

darkranger85

Most of the stuff you'd learn from TES modding will pretty much directly translate into Fallout modding. There are a few differences such as pathing, but overall there are more similarities than differences. And where there are discrepancies, there are plenty of knowledgeable and friendly people around who'll be more than happy to guide you past any pitfalls. :D

Edit: just to be clear, scripting in particular is one of the areas where if you know how to script for TES mods, you pretty much know how to do FO3/FNV mods too.

Edited by vometia

Thank you guys for being so helpful!

Me and my brother are in the process of making a mod for Fallout 3 that is probably a bit lofty considering our experience, so any help I get I'm very grateful for!

Another question I had was, I know there is a way to make Fallout 3 NPCs actually speak rather then just having text subtitles. And I also know there is a guide for this, but my problem is I'm not very book smart, I need an actual person to say "No, you have to do it THIS way!" So is there anyone here that is experienced in doing that sort of thing?

Most-likely no. NPC dialog is difficult to do. Lip syncing is basically broken, and obviously, you need someone to record the lines you want spoken.

My advice, push your mod idea to the side for now. Experiment with things till you get better footing, make some small mods, then get back to your main idea. Most of modding is learning concepts and adapting them to fit your needs. We can help you, but we won't do the work for you.

• Upvote 1

I'm not looking for someone to do anything for me. Wouldn't be my mod then. All I'm looking for is someone that knows how to do these things to give me advice and such.

And, are you saying that spoken dialog isn't possible to do? Cause that would like completely crush my hopes and dreams. I absolutely hate text dialog, it takes me completely out of the story and kills immersion.

Edited by darkranger85

You have to record the voices yourself. In the correct format to work in the game.

Then you have to learn how to get lip synch working with that audio file.

Then you have to learn how to attach that audio file to the NPC and build quests and dialog to go with it.

These are not easy tasks. They are move 'advanced' topics. I don't even know how to do all of that. Of course, those aspects never interested me so I never looked into them myself. I prefer scripting...

But, even though it's difficult to do, having fully voiced NPCs is absolutely possible in FO3. Check out some of the tutorials here, they will show you how to create lip files. Even though it's for Oblivion, most of it is still applicable to FO3. If you do some searching on Youtube as well, I think there are some dialogue tutorials for FO3.

Awesome!

Hard or not I will get there, little by little.

The way I see it is, even though my goals are lofty, I can use it as a learning experience. We have learned much about making the actual building in the GECK and then as we go on everything I need to do I will just consider a lesson in modding.