DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

The Unofficial Minecraft Thread

_echo

MINECRAFT

Untitled-3.png

All discussion relating to Minecraft goes here.

As with all threads, follow the rules and play nice, or I will have to set the creepers on your base.

What is Minecraft?

"Minecraft is a sandbox building indie video game written in Java originally by creator Markus "Notch" Persson and now by his company, Mojang, formed from the proceeds of the game. The game is focused on creativity and building, allowing players to build constructions out of textured cubes in a 3D world. The game is divided into two main modes – free Classic and paid Beta – where Classic is focused entirely on construction with unlimited material supply, while Beta requires players to acquire resources themselves, and contains mobs, player health, and additional features and items. The gameplay is inspired by Dwarf Fortress, Dungeon Keeper, and Infiniminer."

- Wikipedia

Updates:

Beta 1.3

* Implemented a new lighting engine with the help of MrMessiahs (can be turned off)

* Changed the options around, added a new “Graphics options†button

* Added beds. If all players in a map sleeps in a bed during night, the game immediately skips until morning

* Added three new half-size blocks

* Added Delay/Repeater redstone dust blocks

* Added whitelisting to the server. To use, enter “whitelist <cmd>†where cmd is “onâ€, “offâ€, “add <player>â€, “remove <player>â€, “list†or “reloadâ€

* New save file format, old maps need to be converted (that might take a while..)

* It’s now possible to have more than five save slots, and to rename saves

* Scrollbars in both the texture pack list, and in the map selection screen

* Replaced the Mojang splash image to reflect the new logo colors

* .. and a bunch of bug fixes and tweaks!

Links:

- Miecraft.net

Useful Links:

- Minepedia

- Voxel Spheres

- Cartographer (World mapper)

- InvEdit (Inventory Editor)

- MCEdit (Map Editor)

Texture/Mod Links:

- HD Texture Fix

Server List:

- dphone-eastst.dyndns.org = Joben's

What have we learned in the world of Minecraft?

- Fire is bad. Saving often is good.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Minecraft thread! :) Minecraft is one of the best games I've ever played. Fully exemplifies that Gameplay > Graphics. I just love the crafting system. And the dungeons are actually scary, I've jumped out of my seat more than once when a zombie or skeleton suddenly appears.

And I'm sure many people have seen this video, but it still makes me laugh. :)

I have come to the conclusion that I am a "Miner" type player, and my boyfriend is a "Builder" type player.

I rather like going out randomly and finding a cave. I go spelunking and mining without giving anything much thought. I tend to make my home bases in ready formed caves.

minertype.png

My boyfriend will spend the entire time trying to think of the next thing to build and will only gather resources as necessary (other than what he gets at the beginning of a world). He likes making mob farms too.

buildertype.png

This is in SMP - fairly new map so we can and will get hurt with mobs and falling and whatnot. We share the map with one other person, and I don't think she's decided what type of player she is yet.

Ok i've had minecraft for about 4 hours now...

So far i live like Tarzan while exploring. When night falls i climb up onto a tree, then tunnel straight down into the middle and 'sleep' there. It works pretty well so far.

My first semi-permenant dwellign was built across the tops of several trees, flattened out and with a low wall made of dirt and cloth around the perimeter.

Well, I just bought the game! I played the free version for a little, but it didn't seem nearly as fun without looking for resources, hiding away for the night etc. Wish me luck :D

I'd watch the intro videos that are now posted on Minecraft.net (especially Coe's stuff, I :lmao: Coestar). It's a good way to not get uber frustrated with survival.

Sounds like a good idea :D So anyone have any tips for building a shelter? The main problem I have is that when the sun comes up, all the enemies that have congregated below me (precariously perched in a tree) hang around waiting for me, leaving me stranded :lmao:

Edited by the-manta

If you select a stand of trees you can cross from branch to branch for a ways putting you some distance from the slower enemies.

Also, I'm not sure, but i think if you snuggle into your hidey hole before dark fewer or none will notice you.

I'm starting to think about underground burrows like rabbits make, that have two exits, one that is a long tunnel away from the main entrance and sleeping area.

---------------

Also I might be able to run a server for us, gona talk to my brother about it, he handles our network.

I started a server and have been playing on it for the last few hours. If anyone wants to join me they are welcome. Let me know and I'll PM you the address.

Theres a little fort on a hill near the spawn. Theres two sets of basic starting equipment in a box in the upstairs room. (Sword, Pick, coal etc)

[edit]

Dang it, i was sitting in my kitchen on night, had just made a new box and was putting pork in it, when suddenly the front half of my house exploded.

I HATE those stupid green things at least two of them went off against my walls.. I HAD a fort.

lost a crafting table, box and forge...gonna take me a while to reorganize

Been playing minecraft again after this topic came up....damn its addictive.

In the past i used to mine underground will long tunnels and stairs....this time Im going to use open cut mining:

minecraftm.jpg

Basically I spawned on an island and I wanted to start next to where I respwan if killed. I mapped out a large area (which was covered by water) and banked up the sides removed all the water, then just started digging. It takes forver, but i have a huge supply of coal, enough iron, some gold and have just started getting low enough to mine red dust. Incrediably I still havent found a cave system where Im digging.

Once I dig low enough to reach bedrock, ill mine out that entire section then move onto the section beside it and mine that out. I tried having some exterior buildings, but creepers seem to like spawning on the top of the island, so my buildings just got blown up....I keep a small hideout in the mine wall now. The creepers did help with my mine, I just lured them over and blew up alot of the sand....you can see two of the caters on the second section.

Well i started building a better fort with thicker stone walls around the ruins of the old one.

And my work room is now hewn out of the living rock in the the basement for safety.

There is a HUGE cave system under my fort too. I got rather lost just now, and ended up having to tunnel my way out. I emerged right on the shore, and almost flooded the whole system with sea water.

I'm going to bed now, but I'm leaving the server up in case anyone wants to drop by.

*Edit* probably not a great idea to leave the address up publically. PM me if you want to join*

Any guests can help themselves to anything in the storage chests in the basement.

Ya can't miss it, it's on a hill with light posts leading the way. It's got trees on the roof. The basement entrance is inside the old bombed out dirt walled section.

Edited by Joben

Well the first Open cut mine reached bedrock....I didnt find and diamond....or lava....or any caves....

Going ot start work on the plot nextdoor to it now, it is slightly larger, and should be easier now that i have resources to build with....from the first mine i have 3 large chests completely full of cobblestone.