DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

The Unofficial Minecraft Thread

_echo

Ah, I was emptying the .zip file, thanks for that :o Wow everything looks so awesome now!

EDIT: Woah, except this:

java2011010620055705.png

That's a brick wall, or it was :shrug: Now, if there's some way of "unpacking" the ordinary minecraft textures, I'm sure it would be fixable

Well while I'm posting pictures, here's a few shots of my stuff:

Tor Pear, my current base of operations:

javaw2011010317351583.png

it's hard to get in a picture, but the big block you can see at the bottom is a covered staircase, the actual tower starts higher up, on top of the floaty rock bit.

The boat house (small building near the camera), and my little farm (bigger building in the background)

javaw2011010317373555.png

And one of Joben's castle, 'cos it's cool XD

javaw2011010317572141.png

Of course, all this looks different with the texture pack, but until i fix it, no shots.

Edited by the-manta

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget the HD texture fix linked in the first post. I use a tweaked version of that texture pack.

Also and update on the multiplayer server i play on... I have probably the largest room ever manually dug out, block for block...

With dimentions of about 43x46x9, that is over 19,000 blocks.

javaw2011-01-0602-29-29-20.png

And my recently annexed island. I put the proud symbol of the Tau Empire so all can see. (View atop my sphere tower)

javaw2011-01-0602-30-43-65.png

Awesome Echo! I'm trying to guess which took longer, the giant chamber or the awesome tau symbol :o I'll take a look at that HD texture fix.

EDIT: :shrug: it worked, thanks Echo! Now bricks look like bricks XD

However... I liked the warm red colours of the vanilla bricks, the texture pack's version is kinda browny grey, so I'm planning to tweak the colours a little. Is there anything I need to do in order to change the textures besides just recolouring the brick section of the .png file?

Edited by the-manta

My third castle type building is much better than the early ones.

This one is built on a server owned by a guy on the Serious Sam forums.

It's not finished yet, but it's getting close.

This is the shack i lived in while digging the foundation for the castle.

Yes it has a real foundation down to rock

The building extends significantly below ground and has a functioning farm in the basement.

jobenshack.jpg

Greenstone Tower:

greenstonetowerdistance.jpg

greenstonetower3.jpg

GreenstoneTower.jpg

The foundation and walls near the ground are 3x thick, stone, gravel in the middle, then stone again.

(In accordance with authentic period wall building techniques.) All of the above ground facing is in stone rather than cobble.

except the central column of the second floor is done in Mossy Cobblestone.

A span of fenced bridge in the front limits aproach to the door to straight on. No ambushes as you step out.

The battlements have downward facing arrow slits that allow full coverage of the entire wall span.

The island is fenced with cactus, or bordered by ground too steep to climb.

Edited by Joben

That's pretty impressive Joben, very well thought out. Actually I really like the little hut too :o especially with the new texture pack. I especially like the idea of the bridge at the entrance to the castle (damn sneaky morning creepers blowing up my gates :angry: ). I would use it on my new fort, but atm the only access should be via the staircase, and there's not enough room in front of the staircase entrance unless I destroy my old tower. Ah well, the stairs make for a fair defense mechanism, but I think I'll need another set of doors at the top, between them and the actual castle.

At the moment I'm focussing on trying to make the "garden" area outside the walls safe, so far, I have cut away the ground around the garden down to at least two blocks, and placed an alternating 1/2 blocks high dirt wall (to be replaced with stone when I have the resources and determination) so it should be safe, as anything attempting to gain access from below would have to jump at least 3 blocks, which AFAIK is impossible (slthough I plan to increase this distance just in case). But mysteriously, I keep coming home from mining trips to find monsters in the castle :shrug: I think I've found out why though; I've built most of the 1st floor ceiling, but haven't placed any torches up there, so I'm guessing that's how they''re getting in.

Back on our server I've renovated the public fort a bit. Trying to make it safer and more user friendly for new players.

(ahh yes btw: If any of you have friends or family you trust to behave themselves feel free to invite them, we need population.)

I'm taking down the trees on top...mobs seem to be spawning up in trees more frequently lately and they've become a security risk.

I've also been cleaning up the debris from when we demolished the train station.

If anyone wants to help get the last few levitating bits I'd appreciate it.

Manta, i really like how your castle is coming along. I saw the throne room last night and it was SWEET.

Have you considered making a bridge from it to your tower? You could alter the tower into a sort of gatehouse.

Edited by Joben

Awesome Echo! I'm trying to guess which took longer, the giant chamber or the awesome tau symbol :o I'll take a look at that HD texture fix.

EDIT: :shrug: it worked, thanks Echo! Now bricks look like bricks XD

However... I liked the warm red colours of the vanilla bricks, the texture pack's version is kinda browny grey, so I'm planning to tweak the colours a little. Is there anything I need to do in order to change the textures besides just recolouring the brick section of the .png file?

All you need to do is unpack the texture pack to a location, edit the necessary images as you please, then repack (as a ZIP) and place back in the textures folder as before.

The symbol only took about 20 minutes. The room ive been working on for about a month off and on.

I cna say only that you have an awful lot of patience :o I've been tweaking the textures a little bit. The bricks are red now, but I'm not quite happy with them yet, the recolour has made them look a bit flat. I also changed the chests so the the top looks like planks (but with metal corner brackets) I didn't like the cushy top :shrug:

All seems to be in order :devil: Hope your machine's OK :rofl:

EDIT: I'm guessing maybe it's not, as I've been unable connect again today.

EDIT 2: I had a cool idea while browsing around minepedia (searching for information on the mysterious slime, in fact) and found that for a short time, human spawns existed in minecraft. Joben, you may remember that a while back I mentioned it would be cool to build a planned town/village at some point, and according to minepedia you can add human spawns with a level editor tool. I think it would be awesome to populate the town with randomly milling around people. Just writing that thought down while I remember, I know we're not planning to build a town any time soon :rofl:

Edited by the-manta

That's really cool. I'll have to look into some of the editing tools.

I started digging a tunnel between our two castles. It's exact course might need adjusting.

Digging a tunnel between two distant points is tricky, I had to surface several times to take a bearing.

But at least now we have some sort of frame of reference.

As of tonight it stops below a small tall'ish island in the water.

Edited by Joben

Nice, I'm thinking it will be helpful if I start digging from my castle towards yours and have the two meet up, rather than both of us digging the same tunnel. That way, the start and end of the tunnel will both be exactly where we want them, and any course changing can be done out under the sea somewhere it won't make a mess :D Now to find a space to put the railway terminal for my castle. Probably under the staircase area, but we've done quite a bit of mining down there. How deep is the tunnel?

Okay, I've worked on three things today:

Player skin- I now look like this:

javaw2011010915245308.png

:D I know it's been done before, but I had to have a go.

Underground Railway- I've dug out a bit more, it now reaches the grassy area a little way outside my castle. That's a pretty nasty area to tunnel in, I've noticed an abundance of underground caves filled with water (which would be very cool to go through on a minecart, I just worry that we'll dig into one below water level). Due to a miscalculation (I started tunnelling from the shore, aiming to meet up with your tunnel, then I thought I was half way and dug some more of your tunnel, then realised I was several blocks too far to the right, and the tunnels were already overlapping) there is some wasted tunnel, but oh well, they match up. I'm thinking that once the tunnel is complete we should fill in the access passageways, as it's too much hassle to put doors on all of them, and we don't want creepers on the tracks :stare:

My castle- Good news and bad news. The good news is it's generally looking good, and I finally have animals in my courtyard :woohoo: now don't anybody kill them, I know they look tasty, or comfy to wear, but please refrain, also I have placed torches at the top of every tree in the courtyard so monsters cant spawn in them. The bad news is, monsters are STILL getting in some how. I came to the top floor (still exposed, haven't built a roof yet) and a creeper blew up a portion of my hardwood flooring :crybaby: (easily fixed this time, but still a problem). I think there must still not be enough torches around :candle:

On a side note, here's some pictures I took:

javaw2011010321354703.png

A volcano :o

javaw2011010717484273.png

And my tweaked chest texture :)

I've worked a little on finishing the rail tunnel.

If anyone wants to help these are the construction guidelines:

Ceilings shall be at least 3 blocks high. Low ceilings can injure the player when getting out of a cart.

Tunnels shall be at least 2 blocks wide. This will allow safe pedestrian traffic and sidings.

Updated today

Cake has been added

Squids and octopuses have been added

Black sheep have been added

Dyes have been added for wool. So far all I know is that squid/octopus ink dyes wool black, red flowers dye it red, yellow dye it yellow. Apparently there are 12 new dyes but I'm not sure if all are known yet

Also diverse trees have been added. Birch trees + trees grow in more diverse ways depending on the biome

Well this would explain why minecraft just broke for me. All good news! :lol: cake and octopuses (octopi? mmm pie)

EDIT: so where does this put us in terms of texture packs? None of the current ones will have support for the new blocks will they?

Edited by the-manta

EDIT: so where does this put us in terms of texture packs? None of the current ones will have support for the new blocks will they?

Nope, my painterly pack just shows a default gray for the new textures.

I know that putting a cactus in the furnace will give you "cactus green" (green dye), and skellies drop bones now that can become "bonemeal" (white dye). There's a new mine block called lapis lazuli that will give you blue dye.

I've gone back to default textures for the time being :lol: I've been busy concocting as many dyes as I can; so far I have made yellow (yellow flowers), red (red flowers), orange (yellow dye and red dye), and pink (red dye and bonemeal), and I've dyed two sheep yellow in my courtyard XD when I next play I'll get to dying some more of them. It's better to dye sheep (if you can catch them) than to dye individual cloth blocks, because then you get a regenerating supply. Unfortunately I don't have enough buckets to make cake :)